2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Best Modifications Under $50

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Texman89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear facing light bar

It's a tight fit, but we'll worth the time. Especially when working out on the ranch.

Mounted flush under roll bar

Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
I tied into the PTO wire on the passenger kick panel. Its orange and green if I remember correctly. Its always on with the ignition. I ran out of time trying to source a power point for lights on action, but I honestly don't even notice it until the sun sets. I'll find a source this weekend if I have time.

Just remember if you use a loose LED, you need to put some resistance on the cathode side so you don't prematurely burn them out. I think I used a 480 ohm, youll need to figure it out based on the forward voltage of the specific LED you use.....OR, just buy a pre-wired 12v LED and you dont have to worry about any of that.
Electrician by trade ;-). But im always lazy and buy 12v

Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by briangp
Electrician by trade ;-). But im always lazy and buy 12v
Haha, I totally would but I bought a bajillion component LEDs and resistors a while ago and I've gotta use em up somehow or I'll be passing them on to my kids, lol.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:47 PM
BronzefireAL13SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spaced out my front bumper for less than $10. If you are running oversized tires and have rubbing issues on front bumper I recommend this mod.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:07 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BronzefireAL13SD
Spaced out my front bumper for less than $10. If you are running oversized tires and have rubbing issues on front bumper I recommend this mod.
what did you use? washers?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by NorEasterMA
Added LED Bolt Lights on two of the running board brackets on each side. I used to have 3 on each side, but the new Crew Cab running board brackets aren't evenly spaced out, for some reason. So 2 on each side will do. $11.99 each from Oznium.com (11mm, Amber, 3W Stainless Steel)....so just under $50 but dang they look nice!
I know I'm almost 2 months after this post and a little late to the party. But where did you tap for power? Ideally I'd like them to come on with DRL, but if that proves to be something I don't feel like tacking at least they'd be on at night when the auto headlights come on.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:21 AM
BronzefireAL13SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gwilkrrs
what did you use? washers?
DOM tubing. Cut 10 3/4" pieces and used the original 8 bumper bolts. Had to get 4 longer bolts for the corner brackets. If you loosen all the bolts and then remove the ones you are working on it only takes about 30 minutes to install them.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:09 PM
bscooter99
Junior User
Originally Posted by Krabill

#4 LED underglow light strips connected to the plugs on each side below the truck. Lights up when opens door then fades out when door closes. Might be a little blingly for some, but you will never loose anything under the truck in the dark.
Plug adapters HERE
the light strips HERE I did use small 3m double sided tape to secure them better than the basic adhesion on the strip, HERE
A little disappointed in the link for the plug adapters for the step bar lighting...I purchased what was linked on the amazon link and they do not fit the plugs on the truck...I am in no way an electrician so not sure what I need now...any help? Pics of installs would be a nice bonus

Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bscooter99

A little disappointed in the link for the plug adapters for the step bar lighting...I purchased what was linked on the amazon link and they do not fit the plugs on the truck...I am in no way an electrician so not sure what I need now...any help? Pics of installs would be a nice bonus
Those are speaker adapters?

Just cut the connector off and install your own push connectors. Super easy and takes like 5 mins per side. You really dont even need connectors. Just solder them and shrink tube it and call it a day.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those speaker adapter plugs worked just fine for me. You have to take off the protective boot on the plug that's mounted to the frame rail first, it keeps the water out. Once that's off the metra connectors snap right in.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 PM
bscooter99
Junior User
I apologize for the earlier post...the adapters fit..guess I just didn't get em positioned right the first time

Old 04-19-2018, 10:12 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No worries - they fooled me too at first! We're all here just trying to help

Old 04-20-2018, 06:12 AM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
I know I'm almost 2 months after this post and a little late to the party. But where did you tap for power? Ideally I'd like them to come on with DRL, but if that proves to be something I don't feel like tacking at least they'd be on at night when the auto headlights come on.
Hey! So I had been planning to add these when I started doing all the accessories on the truck - when I put the updated harness in for my Magnum rack, I spliced in a ground and a hot to the running light circuit in the Magnum harness, with these two wires coming out of the bundle right behind the cab. I connected the bolt LED's into this so that they are marker lights. Using FORScan, I made the change to have my DRL be parking lights, which includes the bolt lights.

Word of warning - DO NOT get the stainless models I got. Multiple sets failed within 3 months and Oznium confirmed I wasn't the only one. The stainless doesn't dissipate the heat well enough and they overheat. Theyre reworking the design - in the mean time the black aluminum no lens models are PERFECT.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by NorEasterMA
Hey! So I had been planning to add these when I started doing all the accessories on the truck - when I put the updated harness in for my Magnum rack, I spliced in a ground and a hot to the running light circuit in the Magnum harness, with these two wires coming out of the bundle right behind the cab. I connected the bolt LED's into this so that they are marker lights. Using FORScan, I made the change to have my DRL be parking lights, which includes the bolt lights.

Word of warning - DO NOT get the stainless models I got. Multiple sets failed within 3 months and Oznium confirmed I wasn't the only one. The stainless doesn't dissipate the heat well enough and they overheat. Theyre reworking the design - in the mean time the black aluminum no lens models are PERFECT.
I took the el cheapo way out for now. Ordered some $3.95 specials from SuperBright yesterday. Will have to crawl around under the truck when the lights arrive to see what I can find for a power source.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:02 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I purchased a set of J hooks for one side of my Box link mounts.

E-track Hooks E-track Hooks

These work great, albeit a bit loose, to hold my 'grandpap stick'/getter.

Grandpap stick

I used some old pool noodles for anti-rattle.

Quick Reply: Best Modifications Under $50