Favorite Fifth Wheel Hitch using Ford Puck System - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Favorite Fifth Wheel Hitch using Ford Puck System

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 02-19-2018, 12:33 PM
BlueJeansF350
Freshman User
BlueJeansF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey All

New truck on order...2018 F350 Lariat DRW - Metallic

This is my third F350 and had a 15 with the puck system for towing...I have a Curt Q24 hitch, it was good, but could be tempermental when hitching and getting the pin to lock.

Whats your favorite hitch using the puck system?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man I love my Curt Q16 - keep it lubed its a happy camper. Cheap, light, quiet....

My biggest complaint is I have the ISR version and had to adapt it.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:01 PM
black08
Junior User
black08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the B&W Companion. I had it in my 2015 and now my 2017, I adjusted it to the top setting on the new truck to keep the same box side clearance as the old truck. It has been great and I have never had a problem hooking up or unhooking anywhere. We do a fair amount of off road camping.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 PM
b-foster
Senior User
b-foster is starting off with a positive reputation.
same as above - B&W Companion on factory puck system. Easily breaks into 2 approx. 60 lb pieces if you need to remove it for bed space when not towing also.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Retamaman
New User
Retamaman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another vote for B&W Companion hitch.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM
BlueJeansF350
Freshman User
BlueJeansF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Guys

I do like that you can easily break the companion down to two parts...easier on the back to remove/install

Old 02-19-2018, 04:02 PM
sgrol
Posting Guru
sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
B&W. Never had to lube or adjust or pry off RV. It just works.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by BlueJeansF350 View Post
Thanks Guys

I do like that you can easily break the companion down to two parts...easier on the back to remove/install
leave it hooked to the camper. I leave mine hooked, unlock the pucks and raise the camper legs up lifting the hitch out. Then just drive away...

Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Baldicon
Senior User
Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.
Purchased F350 SCLB dually last fall in anticipation of trading the TT in for a fifth wheel this spring. Now trying to decide which hitch to buy. I do want some vertical damping, so am looking at either the B&W hitch combined with a Trailair Flex air pin box (or 5th Airborne), or a Hensley BD3 Trailersaver hitch. Any feedback from folks out there with either of these would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM
b-foster
Senior User
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Purchased F350 SCLB dually last fall in anticipation of trading the TT in for a fifth wheel this spring. Now trying to decide which hitch to buy. I do want some vertical damping, so am looking at either the B&W hitch combined with a Trailair Flex air pin box (or 5th Airborne), or a Hensley BD3 Trailersaver hitch. Any feedback from folks out there with either of these would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
The B&W with the Trail Air Flex is exactly what I have and have been very happy with. If you go this route I would highly recommend having your own air compressor, I full-time and move about every 2 weeks and every time I hook up I need to add air to the airbag, it might be a minor amount, but always need a bit to top it up it seems.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Baldicon
Senior User
Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by b-foster View Post
The B&W with the Trail Air Flex is exactly what I have and have been very happy with. If you go this route I would highly recommend having your own air compressor, I full-time and move about every 2 weeks and every time I hook up I need to add air to the airbag, it might be a minor amount, but always need a bit to top it up it seems.

Thanks. So it does seem to help? I've never pulled a 5th wheel so don't really have anything to base it on. It just seems like a good idea to have some cushioning. I do have an air compressor so I can check that box off. One other criteria is that it must fit under my Bakflip cover. From what I have read, the B&W should fit ok.

Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:54 PM
b-foster
Senior User
it will fit fine - I have a Revolver X2 on mine and there is plenty of clearance and I am on the tallest setting on the B&W.

I felt the same way you do, it must help since any cushioning is better than nothing, and I feel it does. I have caught a view of it a few times when going down some of the Interstates across OK & TX and it is certainly is doing it's job flexing back there. Between the airbag, and the shock it is a pretty cushy ride with little to no chucking going on.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:56 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to all
No problems with my Curt Q20...3 grease fittings to shoot some in once in awhile and thats about it. Keep mine covered with my BakFlip.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Baldicon
Senior User
Originally Posted by b-foster View Post
it will fit fine - I have a Revolver X2 on mine and there is plenty of clearance and I am on the tallest setting on the B&W.

I felt the same way you do, it must help since any cushioning is better than nothing, and I feel it does. I have caught a view of it a few times when going down some of the Interstates across OK & TX and it is certainly is doing it's job flexing back there. Between the airbag, and the shock it is a pretty cushy ride with little to no chucking going on.

I don't have air bags yet, but sounds like they help out too? I thought they were mainly for leveling. May have to add them to my growing list.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
B&W. Never had to lube or adjust or pry off RV. It just works.
The B&W has a zerk fitting for lubing the center shaft. They didnít put it there because they had too much money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Favorite Fifth Wheel Hitch using Ford Puck System

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.