1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Massive oil leak

Old 02-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,159 Likes on 941 Posts
Thumbs up

Why not use a remote starter and crank it, just disable the ECU. It will still come out yet, hopefully give you time to trace it down.

Could it be coming from the HPOP area? Perhaps one of the high pressure lines?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Travis Shidemantle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the gallon a minute may be a little exaggerated but it's close. To my dismay I slid under it this morning and it appears to be coming from around the front of the oil cooler. I am hoping it's just a loose top bolt since it was hard for me to get tight when I had it apart last time I have an appointment to get to so I can't get to covered in oil but gonna filler up today and slide under it now that I have an idea where to look. I'll keep everyone posted. Also just to cover my bases where do the high pressure lines run from the hpop. Because it doesn't appear to have enough oil in the valley for what is coming down the side. It also isn't running down from the back.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
High pressure hpop lines run from the drivers side of the hpop to the heads. One to each head to a plug in the oil rail.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Travis Shidemantle
New User
Well the gallon a minute may be a little exaggerated but it's close. To my dismay I slid under it this morning and it appears to be coming from around the front of the oil cooler. I am hoping it's just a loose top bolt since it was hard for me to get tight when I had it apart last time I have an appointment to get to so I can't get to covered in oil but gonna filler up today and slide under it now that I have an idea where to look. I'll keep everyone posted. Also just to cover my bases where do the high pressure lines run from the hpop. Because it doesn't appear to have enough oil in the valley for what is coming down the side. It also isn't running down from the back.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
HPOP to heads is two hoses on top of engine

Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Travis Shidemantle
New User
Ok first I'd like to thank k everyone for the help. I believe it is the oil cooler either one of the front o-rings or the front gasket. I'm draining the fluids now gonna pull it out and check the o-rings first I'm hoping that is the fix because the top bolt on the front adapter is a P.I.A. I've Sean videos of guys changing the orings and not taking the front adapter off is this advisable? This truck is 4x4 and the front drive shaft makes it hard to wiggle everything in together. Any suggestions on how I should go about this so I don't have to do it again?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Take both ends off the truck, it is hard enough to get the cooler back together off the truck trying to get it together with one end still on the engine would be worse.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by farmert
Take both ends off the truck, it is hard enough to get the cooler back together off the truck trying to get it together with one end still on the engine would be worse.
Not really. I have done four of these jobs and always left the front cap on the block. It makes it way easier. Check out Dieseltech Ron's YouTube vid. He recommends it. You just pry the cooler back into the front cap with a tire iron using the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,159 Likes on 941 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Not really. I have done four of these jobs and always left the front cap on the block. It makes it way easier. Check out Dieseltech Ron's YouTube vid. He recommends it. You just pry the cooler back into the front cap with a tire iron using the exhaust manifold.

Neat! Never crossed my mind to do it that way. I just pressed it together with my hydraulic press after a super cleaning.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Neat! Never crossed my mind to do it that way. I just pressed it together with my hydraulic press after a super cleaning.
I only did it this way because the front cap was entirely dry. I know it's recommended to do the front, but like Ron said, if you don't have an issue, and they rarely do, just leave it and make it easier on yourself. Even if the front needed to come off, this is still an easier way to remove the front cap and reinstall, THEN do the rest of the cooler.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:34 PM
Travis Shidemantle
New User
Ok got the cooler off and I hate to be a bother but I believe the pressure valve (I think that's what it's called) fell out and I'm not sure what order it goes back in. When I did this the last time I guessed and I wander if that wasn't what caused it to fail. I didn't see any signs that an o-ring failed on the front other than the outer one came off in the cap when I pulled it out but I know that is common. They weren't brittle or cut. I ordered a kit from riff Raff this time maybe my Napa kit wasn't as good of o-rings. That kit didn't have green rings included just a larger and smaller black ones. If anyone could tell me the order that the spring and plunger are supposed to go that would be a big help.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
do you mean the oil pressure by pass?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Never heard of this, you learn something new everyday. The last one I did had coolant leaking from the front cover gasket, and that was the first for me. I think it was a cheap MIC gasket, as the silicone in the gasket had blown out. So I did the whole rebuild while it was out.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Travis Shidemantle
New User
Originally Posted by knottyrope
do you mean the oil pressure by pass?
I guess so it's a spring with a plunger that has a hole through it end to end.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM
echo95
Senior User
Could also be called the oil pressure regulating valve or oil pressure relief valve. Seen it labeled a few ways. The below pics are not mine, but I'm sure it is what you are talking about. Not sure if it is held in by a snap ring or just indentations stamped into the housing. From reading, if it is in wrong it could lead to no or low oil pressure. This thread from the 99-2003 side may help you out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-at-idle.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Massive oil leak