Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Is it safe to assume you seek a diesel because you want a diesel?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Out4trout
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. And for towing and for lifespan. I am traveling full time in a travel trailer right now preparing to go to alaska.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
DISCLAIMER I am a prejudiced V10 owner.

If you are satisfied with the 5.3 burb, a V10 will be a nice upgrade as a tow vehicle. I personally think they are more reliable than their oil burning cousins. YMMV Lifespan is debatable.

I just want you to consider all your viable options.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Out4trout
Yes. And for towing and for lifespan.
You've just described the V10 gas engine to a T.

If you're not familiar with a diesel, ESPECIALLY the 6.0 which can be very problematic for a new user, I strongly suggest you open your options to include the V10.

Stewart

Old 02-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Out4trout
Mountain Pass
Well i went to check out that vehicle. It was in rough shape. Oil leak, shocks rusted out, bad tires, and some sort of electrical issue with the radio and climate control. No idea. The ac would not turn on, then i flipped the headlights and boom, ac blowing...
I got there 15 min early and they already had it running for 20 “to get it ready for me”. Looked like there was oil near the front of the vehicle passenger side low near radiator too. Also saw they had disconnected what could have been sensor on the air intake.
It ran and drove down the road but wow i would need to do quite a bit to get it going down the road

Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 PM
TS Motorsports
New User
Best thing to do on any 6.0 is look around the coolant cap for any residual coolant. First signs of a blown head gasket. The 7.3 is a very dependable animal but depending on what part of the country you buy one, it might need an oil pan. If you have done any searching, you'll see plenty of guys warn about the head gasket failure on 6.0's. But once you address that issue and some other small stuff they are pretty stout piece as well.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Is it safe to assume you seek a diesel because you want a diesel?
Yes. And for towing and for lifespan. I am traveling full time in a travel trailer right now preparing to go to alaska.
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
DISCLAIMER I am a prejudiced V10 owner.

If you are satisfied with the 5.3 burb, a V10 will be a nice upgrade as a tow vehicle. I personally think they are more reliable than their oil burning cousins. YMMV Lifespan is debatable.

I just want you to consider all your viable options.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You've just described the V10 gas engine to a T.

If you're not familiar with a diesel, ESPECIALLY the 6.0 which can be very problematic for a new user, I strongly suggest you open your options to include the V10.

Stewart

I too am a big V-10 fan and owner, so naturally I am biased towards this great engine.
You didn't mention the size and weight of your TT, but if the 5.3 Burb has been hauling your clan and it all around the lower 48 so far, I think you would be very pleased with the upgrade to a V-10 EX.
A properly cared for V-10 (3/5K oil changes, 30K trans flush, 50/100K plug changes and very little else) should remain super reliable and strong for 250K+ miles. And if something major should happen (there is always that chance) a complete NEW factory crate V-10 can be had for less than what some shops charge for 6.0 head gaskets jobs.
Yes, the diesels make more power/torque and have higher output potential when modded, but with great power comes great responsibility. The more you mod one, the more closely they need to monitored and cared for to ensure longevity. I bought our EX to be a tow rig and I had to weight all the options, just like you are doing now. For me, I was pretty comfortable with spinning wrenches on gas rigs, but I only had some VW diesel and large Fire Dept Detroit Diesel experience. I would have had to invest some time (which is always in short supply) in educating myself on the PSD to be comfortable for long trips. This along with the higher initial and maintenance costs factored into my decision to go with a gasser. Another major factor in my engine choice was the input from other owners here who were towing heavy with V-10s and enjoying the trip.
I no longer use our EX in a daily driver role, it now serves as our dedicated tow rig for our 11,300lb TT, which we have towed for 20K+ miles and a 9,500lb TH that we used to have that we towed for 15K+ miles. During my 60K mile (35K+ towing miles) ownership the only breakdown was a sudden death fuel pump failure. That happened in the rain at a very sandy campground in NJ, I hate sand and rain. I declined the offer of his time and tools to replace it at the campground from a total stranger and member here and had it towed back home where I fixed it more comfortably. Did I mention just how awesome this community of members here is! I still haven't met Norm, but when I eventually do the beer will be on me for his very generous offer back then.
I have made some upgrades to my EX to make it a better tow rig and "mine". Deeper gears were the single biggest improvement in towing performance hands down, its like a completely different truck! I run 4.88s with 35" tires for an effective ratio of 4.39. 4.30 was an optional ratio from the factory (over the more common standard 3.73) and has proven to be a real sweet spot (4.30-4.56) for these V-10s that tow heavy.
With our 41' 11K TT in tow we typically see 8 to 9.5 MPG while towing on our mostly highway trips at 62/68 MPH. For trips with lots of country roads and through small towns with more start/stopping the MPG drops to 7/8. It will hold OD on all but the bigger Eastern Interstate Highway grades and when it does downshift it typically will regain enough speed to upshift again if I choose. I have NEVER gone to Wide Open Throttle while towing and am totally happy with giving up a little speed on a hill climb to maintain what I feel is decent fuel economy for my combination.
I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money, I'm just offering up some info on what is working very well for me as an option to the diesel choice. Maybe try finding a decent V-10 EX (hopefully with the 4.30 gears!) and taking it for a good test drive, I think you will find it to be significantly more truck than the 5.3 Burb. I came to the Ex out of a 5.7 Chevy K1500 pickup and the EX blows it away on all counts.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Out4trout
Mountain Pass
Thank you for the post. It is something to think about for sure. If going the gasser route might make sense to stay in the ‘burban food chain. I could go to a similar model year 6 or 8 L and transfer over some of the bells and whistles i have currently. Trailer is 35.5 foot Im prob towing 9500 - 10000 fully loaded. A bit over spec for this suburban model but with various upgrades mods i am getting it done. Currently it will struggle to get up certain peaks and i avoid as much as i can. Rolling down the road i could use a bit more truck. Really im comfortable in the lower 48 with it but its getting long in the tooth.
the big thing for me is that i am towing a load 5 days a week. Its not like i am going camping 1-2 weekends a month. We are living in this trailer and traveling/hauling constantly. To me that is a more severe duty and the diesel made more sense.
What do you guys think?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM
handywithanex
Junior User

Here is my side by side comparison. My burb (k2500), has the 454 and is my plow rig. They both are gassers. They both will tow the crap out of anything I've hooked up to. They get about the same mpg's. The major difference is the room and the comfort. The Ex is so much better for traveling in. The burb is easier to turn around with, dragging trailer it will make turns the ex won't by itself. Now obviously the Ex is lifted, but still in stock form it won't turn as tightly as the burb.
The diesels have their advantages, but they also come with more unique challenges, and depending on where you are at, diesel fuel is not as easy to find. Just my opinion.
The Ex has 160K, the burb is at 275K on their clocks.
Of the 25 vehicles I've owned in my 40 years the Ex is hands down, my favorite.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by handywithanex
Here is my side by side comparison. My burb (k2500), has the 454 and is my plow rig. They both are gassers. They both will tow the crap out of anything I've hooked up to. They get about the same mpg's. The major difference is the room and the comfort. The Ex is so much better for traveling in. The burb is easier to turn around with, dragging trailer it will make turns the ex won't by itself. Now obviously the Ex is lifted, but still in stock form it won't turn as tightly as the burb.
The diesels have their advantages, but they also come with more unique challenges, and depending on where you are at, diesel fuel is not as easy to find. Just my opinion.
The Ex has 160K, the burb is at 275K on their clocks.
Of the 25 vehicles I've owned in my 40 years the Ex is hands down, my favorite.
I can see that as the case for the 4wd versions, but the 2wd Excursion actually has a tighter turning radius than the 2wd Burb. We had a 2wd Burb prior to the 2wd Excursion...

Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Out4trout
Mountain Pass
Are the suspension upgrades (leaf spring) and adding the sway bars and swapping axles and all that the same for the v10?
everything is the same we are just talking v10 vs diesel?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes, it is all the same for suspensions regardless of engine. If you are still in Texas, you are welcome to come and drive mine, although it is far from stock nowadays.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Out4trout
Mountain Pass
North of houston right now. Heading towards padre island / alamo soon.
I would be looking to keep the stock tire size. Upgrade suspension to stiffer springs like i have seen in the forum. Sway bars and that sort of thing. What axle code am i looking for for best towing. I mean not just torque. Most of towing is rolling down the road. Only what 15% is hill climb and yank out of your spot....

Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
North of houston right now. Heading towards padre island / alamo soon.
I would be looking to keep the stock tire size. Upgrade suspension to stiffer springs like i have seen in the forum. Sway bars and that sort of thing. What axle code am i looking for for best towing. I mean not just torque. Most of towing is rolling down the road. Only what 15% is hill climb and yank out of your spot....
Stock tire size or stock rim size?

What axle code? I think you meant spring code? Most here go with V codes up front at 5200 lbs or the X codes at 6000 lbs. On the rear, it is either B or F codes (common F250 springs), but some have gone to the stiffer C codes off an F350.

Lots of Excursions for sale in Texas. Lots.

If you are going to be in Texas for a bit, and you find one, I would be happy to help you get it set up right before you head west. Lots of campgrounds around here (Bastrop, TX) to park the RV. I also have the Ford computer to look at all the systems to ensure they're operating right. I can sync chipped keys to the PATS system, reprogram for tire sizes and other stuff.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Out4trout
Mountain Pass
Outstanding! thanks for the offer i may take you up on it. Trying to see how much cash i can pull together now. But might wait a bit to buy. I guess it depends on the deal.
Yes stock tire im talking 16 inch rim im not looking to go fancy. By axle i was thinking axle code in my head but specifically i guess gear ratio would be what i was really getting at. I sawvsome guys say that the 4.3 gear ratio was optimal but they had different wheel sizes which changed geometry. Im talking standard wheel. F250 super duty spring upgrade and any other towing improvement. If thats what i am doing, should the 3.73 work or still look for the 4.3? I guess im trying to figure out what im looking for so i can try to find it.

Quick Reply: Excursion Advice Wanted