2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fox 985-24-001 steering stabilizer Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:37 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by J Standard
You couldn't be more wrong, a pressurized shock wants to be open, installed a Bilstein steering stabilizer on GM HD truck and it pulled like crazy, the trick is to put as little nitrogen in the shock as possible and I assume that is what Fox is doing.
Anything will push around a lightweight GM front end. Been so long since I had one I don't remember there being a stabilizer on them.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tony m 6.7
Anything will push around a lightweight GM front end. Been so long since I had one I don't remember there being a stabilizer on them.
GM (2500&3500) did away with the steering stabilizer in 2011 but left the holes to add one. In 2015 they did away the holes.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Update, received and installed the Fox steering stabilizer. Definitely worth the money. The best way to describe the steering now is that it is so much more relaxed, most if not all the jitters are gone and the truck is so much nicer to drive. And also on a side note, I installed a Bilstein stabilizer on my 2012, that worked well also.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tony m 6.7

Let me know how that Dana 60 death wobble works out for yah...

Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Never had death wobble on either one of my SD's. Always had upgraded shocks and steering stabilizers, maybe that makes a difference. I'd take this platform over a GM anytime, as a matter of fact I was a lifelong GM guy till I drove a Super Duty. Never looked back from there.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 AM
mothnuts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed this stabilizer on my stock (other then Fox 2.0 shocks and lowering the rear end) ‘17 F-250 Platinum this morning. Best money I’ve spent on this pickup yet. Absolutely night and day difference for me. I’ve been complaining about bump steer since day one 20,000 miles ago. It appears to be gone!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:58 AM
BAKADIT
New User
I put a Fox IFP stabilizer on 2 days ago. I've only had truck 2 weeks and 350 miles on it when I installed it, I knew after about 100 miles what I had to do. Crazy... isn't it
The little bit driven seems to be way better.....maybe let the wife drive it now lol

Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put the BDS Fox 2.0 shocks on two weeks ago, nice improvement but they seemed to expose the fact that the stock stabilizer was week. The Fox stabilizer is going on tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it!

Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 AM
mikeym1
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
i installed one yesterday, tremendous improvement over stock. almost all bump steer is gone even with 37s.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine went on this morning, the bit of feedback/shimmy I could feel going over bumps is now gone. My advice to anyone that's upgrading their shocks is to upgrade to FOX 2.0 and do all five at once.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 AM
AKDV
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by BAKADIT
I put a Fox IFP stabilizer on 2 days ago. I've only had truck 2 weeks and 350 miles on it when I installed it, I knew after about 100 miles what I had to do. Crazy... isn't it
The little bit driven seems to be way better.....maybe let the wife drive it now lol
Any installation issues?

Old 03-02-2018, 02:44 PM
jwc410
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Any opinions on how the fox stabilizer compares to a dual stabilizer setup? Which setup is better for these trucks?

Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jwc410
Any opinions on how the fox stabilizer compares to a dual stabilizer setup? Which setup is better for these trucks?
I'll preface this with saying that I have no actual data to back this up. Only a bunch of friends in the Baja racing scene that really know their ****. They have all unilaterally told me in no uncertain terms that the stock location has much better leverage where its attached from the factory and that replacing the stock one is the best route to go. Some have said they get a left hand push with these nitrogen pressurized dampeners. If that's the case, then the only advantage I can see is that a dual stabilizer will push in both directions. However the amount of "stabilizing" done by the lower mounted dual stabilizer is said to be equal to, or slightly less than the OEM position.

IMO, you get the dual stabilizer cause you want people to see it. If you are just trying to get better feedback on the steering wheel and control some bigger offroad tires, replace the OEM with a quality Fox or King shock. Also note, you MUST have a 2-2.5" front lift if you want to use a dual. Otherwise you wont clear the shock bodies on the steering components and youll have a bad day.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:43 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
I'll preface this with saying that I have no actual data to back this up. Only a bunch of friends in the Baja racing scene that really know their ****. They have all unilaterally told me in no uncertain terms that the stock location has much better leverage where its attached from the factory and that replacing the stock one is the best route to go. Some have said they get a left hand push with these nitrogen pressurized dampeners. If that's the case, then the only advantage I can see is that a dual stabilizer will push in both directions. However the amount of "stabilizing" done by the lower mounted dual stabilizer is said to be equal to, or slightly less than the OEM position.

IMO, you get the dual stabilizer cause you want people to see it. If you are just trying to get better feedback on the steering wheel and control some bigger offroad tires, replace the OEM with a quality Fox or King shock. Also note, you MUST have a 2-2.5" front lift if you want to use a dual. Otherwise you wont clear the shock bodies on the steering components and youll have a bad day.
Tricon, you seem to know a lot about shocks. I’m sure you looked at Fox’s 2.0 Performance Series Stabalizer ATS. What are your thoughts on this? My truck is not a daily driver. It’s used to tow my 11k toy hauler and do a lot of off roading on rocky and rutted mountain roads. Thanks for your input

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 AM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daniel044
Just installed mine this morning. Night and day difference for me on bumpsteer. It basically eliminated it.

No alignment needed after install. I would suggest getting a ball joint separater like the one in the picture from harbor freight, they are $10 and def worth every penny. It was a PITA to remove the stock one without it.
That is from post #24, quoting his post doesn't quote the pics for some reason...

Is that aluminum line sitting on the shock? Looks like it would rub pretty good under suspension compression and rebound. May want to wrap that line or move it slightly so it doesn't rub?

Quick Reply: Fox 985-24-001 steering stabilizer Question