1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,325 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Looks like Sous also has a Made In USA at the Kentucky Truck Plant sample, as opposed to the many Super Duties of this era that were made in the Saltillo Mexico plant.

The other thing I noticed was how Sous's list of optional equipment is longer than mine, and yet his truck was $10,000.00 less!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Great pictures of the original window stickers y'all, thanks! "Them" is Faxon Automotive Literature, as I originally reported in post #191. I was trying to avoid mentioning them a second time out of concern that the mods might think I was engaging in some type of business promotion or something along those lines, which I wasn't and still am not. I hope the mods read that: I am not making any attempt to promote any business, be it this one or any other. I'm simply answering a question. They don't offer all of the manuals in the suite that would have come with a 2000 truck, so I had to give up on that idea. And you're correct, the manual I have is a reprint; it doesn't have the same cover appearance as the authentic one would have, but it's better than nothing, which is what I had before. Thus I'm still grateful that I have it. I might search for a complete set someday, but it isn't more important to me than say making progress on my work with the truck itself. That said it'd be nice to have them, sure. Maybe in time. At the moment I am still caught up helping out a neighbor on his mailbox project, so...hopefully I can return to the truck by the weekend, though probably not. TBD.

Anyway thank you again for posting those pictures!
Jerry

Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Jerry, feel free to give good reviews of any company you want. We spread info like that to help each other out. Only when someone fixates on a business and begins to cheerlead specifically for that business does it run afoul.

Please feel free to share any positive or negative reviews on any company you deal with, or info just for info sake.

Stewart

Old 06-04-2018, 11:20 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Waiting on the new chop saw to arrive...the first one Amazon sent me was clearly used; supposed to be new-out-of-the-box. Sent it back. Giving the mailbox priority though 'cause it's a paying gig...

Meanwhile however some meager progress was made on the truck today. The donor frame arrived from the salvage yard! Wooo-hoooo! In case you're wondering, I opted to have the towing outfit that the yard contracts with bring the frame to me. I did so because with the 2000 down, I'd have to rent a truck (and trailer) to retrieve it myself. By the time I paid for all of that, I would spend the same money if not more than I did for the towing. So. Let them bring it to me...

Unfortunately it was getting dark, so I could only take a couple of rough measurements. That said, those numbers plus a good eyeballing indicated that the frame is indeed straight. The parts I wanted off of the engine were zip-tied securely, so I now have those too. They left all of the frame bracketry of course, as well as the fuel tank. Hah! So now including the one my 2000 originally came with I have 3 of those puppies. What the heck I'm gonna do with 3 tanks I couldn't tell ya, but ... well I have them. Enough words, onto the pictures of the arrival:

There she be!

And you KNOW that my son just HAD to come take a look and give his approval.

It's riding on a couple of boat axles, so I am told.

In its temporary parking location.

I hope to resume work on this within a week or so. We'll see. I'm investigating stick welders as I write this post. This project gives me the "perfect" justification for buying a new one! (which will be my only one too, BTW, I don't have SMAW capability at the moment)

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Well this is getting exciting....this should be fun...work for you, fun for us LOL

Old 06-05-2018, 04:35 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Well I'm actually looking forward to all of the work. My issue, as always, is time. Just not enough of it, though it in and of itself is infinite. I haven't done any SMAW since high school, then very little just after undergrad. That's been it. Therefore I am also eager for the mere opportunity/reason to get a new stick welder and run some beads.

FWIW, they simply lifted the bed, cab and engine, leaving everything underneath for me. That included the free fuel tank that was mentioned, along with all of the wiring, fuel lines, etc.

Anyway.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:36 AM
av8or1
Senior User
So I took a closer look at the frame tonight to check squareness. After a closer inspection to include an eyeball test, lateral, full-length longitudinal and cross-longitudinal tape measurements plus center-to-center cabin mount measurement comparisons from side-to-side, it certainly does appear to be a good frame. At this point I'd have to give it a thumbs up. That's a good thing obviously, though not a given by any means. FWIW, the numbers I came up with were:

248 1/2" Cross-longitudinal, both sides
48 7/8" Front cabin mount to mid, both sides
37 Mid cabin mount to aft, both sides
[Can't locate the lateral and longitudinal numbers, will have to get back to you on those]

The only issue that I noticed was the passenger side forward flange. It has an aft dip on the top lip at the center. The frame rail itself appears to be undisturbed by whatever caused this minor deformation. So with a little heat I feel confident I can convince it to move back into alignment. It's not crucial that I do such work actually, but I'm particular that way, so I'll proceed (when the time comes that is). Here are a couple of pictures:

So I think I'm good there. Funny, the yard left the passenger side hub but removed its counterpart:

Or perhaps someone scavenged it previously. Oh well, it is immaterial really, as I don't plan on using any of that stuff. Just a curiosity.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 06-06-2018, 12:55 AM
Y2KW57
What part of that skeleton are you using? I'm still confused what you bought that frame for? If you wanted some midsection steel rail to extend the frame of your 2000, how important is the squareness of the front section, and why did you want the axles and springs?

Are you planning on basing your CCC cab on this frame, rather than the existing frame of your 2000? This whole frame adventure of yours took me by surprise, because I would have strongly recommended an 2005 and up frame for your build, to significantly reduce your what will eventually become an 85 foot turning radius by the time you add the third row... down to a 55 foot turning radius with the superior wheel cut of a coil front end and a tow boss package front axle.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Y2K- Yeah admittedly I've been rather vague WRT the technical details of this aspect of the overall project. I'm at lunch, so time is short...allow me to briefly address your questions, as others may be wondering too (though I don't know how many folk are following this, it might just be you, Stewart and BBslider! - hah!).

The idea/plan that I had from the outset was to join like frames. Ideally I wanted a 2000 F-350 DRW to mate to my truck's underside. So to implement this plan, I searched Craigslist as well as other automotive related websites (including FTE) to find a suitable candidate. I was searching for this particular truck with the idea being that perhaps I could find one that wasn't operational, perhaps rundown, perhaps the owner was just giving up, that type of thing. I was open to accident damage, provided that it was to the cab and/or bed but the frame was unaffected. After a few weeks of searching I was coming up empty. Therefore I expanded the years to 1999 - 2003. Still nada. Everything I found was in ok to decent shape and folk were asking an arm-and-a-leg for them. That is, I couldn't find a suitable, "true donor" truck, which was and is a different animal from the 1999 that I bought and eventually sold to my neighbor. I would have never taken that truck off of the road given its overall condition. Anyway you get the point. Based on these results I returned to the salvage yard that I frequent and inquired regarding the 2000 F-350 from which I had/have already harvested several parts. Long story short, this is the way I went, be it good bad or indifferent. To bring the discussion back 'round to "like frames" ... personally I just felt that in the ideal scenario I would mate a 2000 F-350 DRW to another 2000 F-350 DRW. In my engineering mind it seemed the best approach. After a few discussions with Damon by phone, I felt even more convinced that this was/is the correct way to go, as he stated that if he had it to do over again he'd go with as-close-as-possible frames. He stated further that the various year model frames had subtle differences that presented issues/obstacles for him to deal with, though no specifics were discussed, as doing so can be somewhat difficult via phone (leads to extended conversations). I did consider the option you mentioned, but elected to remain with a 2000-to-2000 mating scenario. So that's that.

Although briefly considered, I didn't like the idea of cutting out a section of the mid-frame area (ergo the area that lies underneath the cab) and then splicing it into my existing frame, as you referred to. Damon did that and did so successfully, and big thumbs up to him. He and his brother did a hell of a job. However my plan all along was to cut the donor frame 35.5" (although now that I measured the 37" yesterday I'm in an engineering tizzy regarding these numbers ... hypotenuse versus base thing? Possibly...I've asked Damon for a precise measurement...) one way or another in relation to my existing frame. Then you mate the two together, with the two possibilities being the donor frame's rear section to the existing frame's front section or vice-versa. This approach "stretches" the frame implicitly. It also results in only two weld locations versus the four that you'd have if you spliced in a section that you cut from a donor. I discussed this with Damon and he concurred, stating that this would be another aspect he'd do differently if he had it to do over again. For this reason, straightness of the donor frame becomes paramount and paramountly so. If I run with the donor rear, it's gotta be straight. If I run with the donor front, it's gotta be straight. This is clear, overt and fundamentally obvious. This is why I am painstakingly measuring the donor frame. There are still a couple of measurements that I didn't have time to get to yesterday, but I suspect that they'll fall inline with the other results. We'll see.

Crap, gotta run. Quickly ... turning radius...well given what I am building this wasn't high on my priority list, quite frankly. I don't have an expectation of a respectable turning radius. That said, I do plan to upgrade the stock suspension. Rest assured, I have a plan, it just isn't finished yet. However what I can say is that at the overview level, I want to upgrade the suspension while I have most everything disassembled. Specifically, I am considering an 05 coil upgrade to the front and a leaf-n-bag option to the rear. However those choices are preliminary at this point. I haven't finished the research yet. At a glance they appeared to be good options. Again, we'll see. Granted, this project is evolving in a Forrest Gump kinda way ("...as long as I came this fahr, I might as well go farther...") but I'm good with that.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You would be surprised my friend! I bet there are a bunch of people that probably aren't even registered that may be following this thread. Sometimes guys just like to vicariously follow along, remembering how theirs went, or wondering if they should do the same thing!

Stewart

Old 06-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Y2KW57
Well, had I known your intent was to Siamese two frames, then I would have strongly recommended you look for a 2005-2007 frame that has fish mouthed factory welded reinforcements that better tie in the engine cross member and box the front frame rail behind that crossmember for about a foot aft, just prior to the factory frame splice that is about even with the engine starter. According to 13 year old press releases from Ford, that fish mouthed boxed extension was Ford's solution to mitigate the potential for frame cracking with the then new long radius arm coil suspension that makes such a huge improvement in maneuverability, especially if you get the "Fat Boy" Dana Super60 front axle, that is five inches wider, and has larger U joints at the axle ends to handle a more aggressively angled wheel cut that makes all the difference in the world.

So significant is this difference... that I would sell the frame you just bought, and hold out for frame with the FatBoy and Super 60 and all the suspension, steering, and axle locating gear already attached, and use that frame as your front half. It truly will be the better half of your build. Just because the two 6 door guys you read about here didn't do it, doesn't mean you can't make yours better. And next time, try letting the members here know of your purchase plans before you buy. There is a lot of experience here. Look up DeStrokedF450, and NicMike. DeStroked siamesed two frames at the frame splice, to get all the frame reinforcements that came with upgrading his front axle to a Super60 when he de-stroked his truck. And while NicMike used his existing frame that didn't incorporate the reinforcements, he put together the best write up to date on the front axle and suspension swap.

Several times you've mentioned staying true to 2000 to 2000 parts, concerned with subtle differences about which you may not be aware. That is an understandable concern, But this is FTE. No matter what you are considering, someone here has been there done it. They will let you know the differences. Were you not apprised ahead of time about color differences between the 99 vs 2000 tans? About shape differences between cab vents? About wiring differences between 99-01 vs 02-03? About what some goofy looking home built fuel heater was, that you were able to learn was actually a factory part? We gotcha covered. Just ask.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:37 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Y2K- Well I'm not certain how to reply to all of that. I suppose a high level response is best ... in summary, the boxed frame idea was also something I had in mind from the outset, though the Fatboy thing was gonna be a "nice-to-have" scenario. With that in mind, good to receive your feedback for it supports the direction that I was headed. I'll search for the threads you mentioned. On the whole it's definitely something to consider if an opportunity presents itself between now and when I reach that point. I'll keep an eye out. Yeah, there's a ton of good information available via FTE as well as other websites. Replies here are generally good, though not a guaranteed thing. Ergo asking doesn't always generate a reply. That's true with most all forums, so that's not a knock on FTE, it's just the way of the net. Still, with enough searching you can find stuff, which I have. Just needs a little more fleshing-out.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 06-07-2018, 03:44 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3 tanks as in fuel tanks? I'd happily snag one of them! I'm wanting to put in a larger midship tank in my '96, and will eventually get around to a larger rear unit as well.

Still following this new direction of the build very closely and more than happy to lend a hand if needed! I'm just an hour away.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:32 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Azryael- Yeah ok, I'll give you a fire-sale price on one of these tanks someday. Miles to go before then, miles to go. Thank you for the offer of help. I'd be interested to see your 96. There should be a central TEXAS meetup! Heck, for all I know there are such things already taking place. I haven't taken a gander at the regional forums much.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 06-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jerry,

I've been trying to organize a yard run down here, and have had several interested parties, but I've been so busy otherwise that I haven't the time! Things will improve in the next week or so, and I'll have more time again to go do what I'd like to do.

I agree that a meetup would be awesome; if I had the property with the facilities, I'd love to do a weekend tech meetup, where we all get together and work on our trucks to knock out big projects.

Quick Reply: 2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread