Michigan - tinted glass? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Michigan - tinted glass?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Senior User

JTB321 has a very good reputation on FTE.JTB321 has a very good reputation on FTE.JTB321 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Michigan - tinted glass?

Does anyone with a 1950 F1 living in Michigan have tinted windows in their truck? Any issues with being stopped by the police? Does the age of the truck allow for exceptions? I was thinking of tinted side windows and front windscreen but seems the state laws donít allow.

John
Old 02-14-2018, 05:40 AM
Senior User

Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
John: Michigan law does allow for tinted windows, both side and front windshield.
The pertinent section of the statute is as follows:

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.709 Windshields and windows; prohibitions; rearview mirrors; exceptions; windshield wipers; exemption; hot air windshield defroster or electrically heated windshield or other device; windshield device; definitions.
Sec. 709.

(1) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with any of the following:

(a) A sign, poster, nontransparent material, window application, reflective film, or nonreflective film upon or in the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger, or the sidewings adjacent to and forward of the driver or front passenger, except that a tinted film may be used along the top edge of the windshield and the side windows or sidewings immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger if the material does not extend more than 4 inches from the top of the windshield, or lower than the shade band, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.

(b) A rear window or side window to the rear of the driver composed of, covered by, or treated with a material that creates a total solar reflectance of 35% or more in the visible light range, including a silver or gold reflective film.

(c) An object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.

(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if driver visibility through the rear window is obstructed, unless the vehicle is equipped with 2 rearview mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the operator has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

There is an additional exception for photosensitivity, and you carry in the vehicle a doctors letter prescribing darker tint. There is no exception for older vehicles.

Regards, Mark.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Senior User

JTB321 has a very good reputation on FTE.JTB321 has a very good reputation on FTE.JTB321 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Badmoonreizen. I was hoping for a more flexible option to allow tinted side and windshield. When we bought the truck it had green tinted glass all around and was hoping to replace with smoke tint. I guess there are no exceptions for age of vehicle?

John
Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Senior User

Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Badmoonreizen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
John:
There are no exceptions for aged vehicles. A doctor's letter indicating you are
photosensitive that you carry in the car will work.

Regards, Mark
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Senior User

52 Ford F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've driven with tinted windows in Michigan on all my cars and haven't been pulled over in 12 years for them. I did get a ticket when I was a teenager driving at night with 5% tint, but its a "fix it" or pay it ticket and the film can be removed.
I run 30% or 50% now so it's easier to see out of at night and don't get hassled. My windshield is not tinted.
your choice, you could also get most optometrist to write a script for hypersensitivity but an eye exam is more than the ticket if you don't have optical insurance...
Old Today, 06:20 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the reply and options. Strange thing is even new vehicles purchased in MI can have tinted side and front windows? I did a quick survey of vehicles at work and there are plenty with both windows tinted? All seems a bit strange?