Forscan + Speedometer Change - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forscan + Speedometer Change

  #1  
Old 02-13-2018, 08:59 PM
akcooper9's Avatar
akcooper9
akcooper9 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 499
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Forscan + Speedometer Change

Forscan made a new release on 2/2/2018 which included an update for us 99-04 guys (not sure who else this applies too). We now have the ability to change the speedometer to account for bigger (or smaller) tires by making adjustments to Rev Per Mile and/or Tone Ring size.

Back in December of 2017, I reached out Forscan asking about how to get the tool updated so one doesn't have to edit Hex code in the As Built to change Rev Per Miles which is used to calculate speed. This got the ball rolling (so to speak)

After a few rounds of Beta testing and some help from The Brad, Forscan now has the option to edit BOTH Rev Per Mile and Tone Ring in the ABS through the ABS module configuration screen. Enjoy

You will need an extended license to utilize this feature in Forscan. I suggest making a back up of your current settings before making any changes.


Here is what the old way looked like if you wanted to make changes:




Here is what the new way looks like if you want to make changes:




Rev Per Mile:



Tone Ring:

 
  #2  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 PM
brandon_oma#692's Avatar
brandon_oma#692
brandon_oma#692 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,678
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Very cool to see support for us still. Can you adjust the tachometer like this too? My speedo is good but tach is off
 
  #3  
Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 AM
The Brad
The Brad is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 744
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
Very cool to see support for us still. Can you adjust the tachometer like this too? My speedo is good but tach is off
How far off is your tach? What are you comparing it to, to determine itís off? I think the tach gets its input from the CPS.
 
  #4  
Old 02-14-2018, 06:00 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 17,832
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Tach? You mean odo?
 
  #5  
Old 02-14-2018, 08:18 AM
brandon_oma#692's Avatar
brandon_oma#692
brandon_oma#692 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,678
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
How far off is your tach? What are you comparing it to, to determine itís off? I think the tach gets its input from the CPS.
Comparing to torque pro, snap on scanner my buddy has at his shop and another laptop one he has for the shop. They all agree with each other and the dash is off a little. About 100 rpm at 2k rpm. I remember reading somewhere it was adjustable on the back of the cluster but thought it would be nice to do it without removing it. Also the dash tach and speedo do not quite agree with my rpm mph gearing chart while the obd ones agree with the chart.
 
  #6  
Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 PM
GregA
GregA is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 286
GregA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
Forscan made a new release on 2/2/2018 which included an update for us 99-04 guys (not sure who else this applies too). We now have the ability to change the speedometer to account for bigger (or smaller) tires by making adjustments to Rev Per Mile and/or Tone Ring size.

Back in December of 2017, I reached out Forscan asking about how to get the tool updated so one doesn't have to edit Hex code in the As Built to change Rev Per Miles which is used to calculate speed. This got the ball rolling (so to speak)

After a few rounds of Beta testing and some help from The Brad, Forscan now has the option to edit BOTH Rev Per Mile and Tone Ring in the ABS through the ABS module configuration screen. Enjoy
This is great news. But I'm not seeing this in the latest versions for Windows, either 2.3.13 beta or 2.3.14 beta.

Thoughts?
 
  #7  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:20 AM
akcooper9's Avatar
akcooper9
akcooper9 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 499
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GregA View Post
This is great news. But I'm not seeing this in the latest versions for Windows, either 2.3.13 beta or 2.3.14 beta.

Thoughts?
Let me check when I get home.
 
  #8  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 AM
Tugly's Avatar
Tugly
Tugly is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia River
Posts: 17,832
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Tone ring? I get the rev/mile - I assume that's the ODO, but tone ring? Am I to assume that effects the speedometer without effecting the ODO? If so, I need to dial mine a bit. My ODO is very precise, but the speedo is off a little.

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
Comparing to torque pro, snap on scanner my buddy has at his shop and another laptop one he has for the shop. They all agree with each other and the dash is off a little. About 100 rpm at 2k rpm. I remember reading somewhere it was adjustable on the back of the cluster but thought it would be nice to do it without removing it. Also the dash tach and speedo do not quite agree with my rpm mph gearing chart while the obd ones agree with the chart.
I've had my dash out when it was light bulb time, and I saw nothing back there that indicated an adjustment for anything.

Originally Posted by GregA View Post
This is great news. But I'm not seeing this in the latest versions for Windows, either 2.3.13 beta or 2.3.14 beta.

Thoughts?
Are either of those the "pay for" enhanced version?
 
  #9  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM
akcooper9's Avatar
akcooper9
akcooper9 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 499
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Tone ring? I get the rev/mile - I assume that's the ODO, but tone ring? Am I to assume that effects the speedometer without effecting the ODO? If so, I need to dial mine a bit. My ODO is very precise, but the speedo is off a little.



I've had my dash out when it was light bulb time, and I saw nothing back there that indicated an adjustment for anything.



Are either of those the "pay for" enhanced version?
Forscan is still free for now. When testing, we noticed that AE was changing the tone ring size to adjust the speedo. Forscan gives us the option to change either the rev per mile or tone ring size.
 
  #10  
Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 AM
brandon_oma#692's Avatar
brandon_oma#692
brandon_oma#692 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,678
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
I've had my dash out when it was light bulb time, and I saw nothing back there that indicated an adjustment for anything.
Thanks. I will leave it alone then.
 
  #11  
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM
GregA
GregA is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 286
GregA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm getting conflicting answers for speedo corrections from the various ForScan forums/Facebook groups. Seems they're all "punters" just like us...

I'm connected to the '01 Ex PSD, analog odo, and within the ABS Module I only have two tires sizes to choose. My AS BUILT format looks like the first photo on both 2.3.13 beta or 2.3.14 beta. I'm told the analog speedos can only correct down to 600 revs/mi minimum (I need 592). If/when I can gain access to the improved version I'll mess around with both revs and tone ring size to see if I can find a nice compromise (but even 600 is far batter than the 655 I have now).

Tugly, as noted above, Enhanced is still no charge for now.
 
  #12  
Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 PM
GregA
GregA is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 286
GregA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
Let me check when I get home.
Any luck?

(...and we add in some additional characters because apparently there's a 10-character minimum per post...I think should just about cover it...)
 
  #13  
Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 PM
akcooper9's Avatar
akcooper9
akcooper9 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 499
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GregA View Post
Any luck?

(...and we add in some additional characters because apparently there's a 10-character minimum per post...I think should just about cover it...)
Just checked and it works like a champ. You need to click the ABS Module not the ABS Module (AS BUILT)

 
  #14  
Old 04-24-2018, 09:18 PM
GregA
GregA is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 286
GregA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
Just checked and it works like a champ. You need to click the ABS Module not the ABS Module (AS BUILT)
Yeah, this is what I get when I select ABS Module, both versions. If I select "Other" it does not give me the option to add another value, it just stays at "Other":

 
  #15  
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM
akcooper9's Avatar
akcooper9
akcooper9 is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 499
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by GregA View Post
Yeah, this is what I get when I select ABS Module, both versions. If I select "Other" it does not give me the option to add another value, it just stays at "Other":

Weird. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Make sure it's not the wine edition.
i have the latest version and when I open the abs, I get 3 lines. Like in my original post.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forscan + Speedometer Change


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.