1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Huge shout out to 1TonBasecamp and the rest of the forum - The Beast is back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Keymaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge shout out to 1TonBasecamp and the rest of the forum - The Beast is back on the road

I just wanted to start a new thread to thank Paul, aka 1TonBasecamp as well as the rest of the guys that gave me suggestions on the issues with my Motorcraft 4350. When I say I have no experience with carburetors and the inner workings of how they work, that would be an under-estimate. But just like every other aspect of this truck, I wasn't going to let it deter me from trying. The initial problem happened when I ran out of gas this past week. Just idled extremely low and throttle response was not great. I had ran this rebuilt carburetor before replacing the fuel tank, and if you had seen the ethanol-infused hell that was present in the tank, you can imagine what may have made it to the carburetor before I replaced the tank. My fear was something had got into the small orifices and was blocking fuel flow. The first attempt at taking the carb off, checking everything off and replacing it yielded a running truck but leaking fuel everywhere. The next yielded the leak gone but not running. The third attempt had it running much better, then all the sudden, fuel was dumping out of the vent holes big time. So, after hours of research last night, it was time to look at those floats. Sure enough, upon inspection this morning, one bowl was hitting the top at one corner, not allowing it to raise, thus cutting off the fuel supply. Used some needle nose and carefully bent it so it could freely move up and down. Reinstalled everything and we are good to go! Took it for about a 10 mile test drive and she did great. Had to tweak the idle a little when I got home but I am pretty happy with it for now. Couldn't have done it without everyone's help. I made a short video of the test run.

Chris

Here is a walk around when I got home.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 729 Likes on 583 Posts
Hey Hey! Glad it's running better after all that hard work. Still got some hair left after that adventure?
Thanks a ton for the shout-out too. Appreciate the kind gesture.

Oh, and if it starts giving you trouble or catches fire now? My name is Bob...

Thanks again.
Enjoy your ride (very nice looking by the way) and bring a fire extinguisher with you always!

Paul

Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Keymaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
Hey Hey! Glad it's running better after all that hard work. Still got some hair left after that adventure?
Thanks a ton for the shout-out too. Appreciate the kind gesture.

Oh, and if it starts giving you trouble or catches fire now? My name is Bob...

Thanks again.
Enjoy your ride (very nice looking by the way) and bring a fire extinguisher with you always!

Paul
I second getting the fire extinguisher. That will be on my to-do list this week.

She's not bad for a 40 year old truck but she needs some work. She's a 50-footer for sure. Up close, the hood is absolutely shot. Looks fairly good when down, but is hollowed out and falling apart underneath. The next stage of this project will have me looking at TIG welders. I've always wanted to learn, seems like a good a time as any.