INFO NEEDED on IDM relay and oil filter w built in bypass - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

INFO NEEDED on IDM relay and oil filter w built in bypass

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM
PQH350
Junior User
PQH350 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Lost all bookmarks when comp died.

I tried search function. Got hundreds of returns---seems that search only uses 1 word in search so you get hundreds of returns that aint accurate. Tired of reading post after post after post. Sorry to bother you guys

1. Need info on IDM relay w key fob remote that turns off IDM for keeping thiefs confused & driving away w truck. Anybody got that?

2. Need info on OIL FILTER that has bypass built in. Found posts from 2007 that
talk about Baldwin and Fleetguard. Is there a new or better one? Iremember one that was to big and hit something. What are any of you guys using. Dont want seperate bypass filter because of cost.

Thank you for any help. I spent hours looking & don't find exact info.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Answer to question 1. is the Cyclops anti-theft system - Cyclops Anti-Theft Systems

Answer to question 2. I cannot help you with, but I remember reading about it here. Someone will be along shortly with the correct info though.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 PM
PQH350
Junior User
thank you sir. Rep on the way.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:09 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.carguy3j has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PQH350 View Post
Lost all bookmarks when comp died....
Do you use Google Chrome? Are you logged in to Google? If so, your bookmarks follow you from device to device. I can see all my bookmarks on my desktop, my laptop, and even on my phone.

2. Need info on OIL FILTER that has bypass built in. Found posts from 2007 that
talk about Baldwin and Fleetguard. Is there a new or better one? Iremember one that was to big and hit something. What are any of you guys using. Dont want seperate bypass filter because of cost.

Thank you for any help. I spent hours looking & don't find exact info.
Fleet Guard LF9691 is the biggest that will fit, and has the bypass section in the bottom. Also increases oil capacity to an even 4 gallons.

I put one in, and lost 3 gallons of oil in about 30 miles. It had a nice sway bar shaped dent and crease in the bottom. However, I later discovered that my sway bar was installed upside down. I also had very worn front springs.

Since then, I installed new X code front springs. That alone restored ride height and clearance. So, I tried the LF9691 again. At that point, the sway bar seemed to only just barely tap the filter, and only after hitting some big bumps. It was light enough that I was willing to leave it. Once it "clearanced" itself, it didn't get any worse.

However, I recently decided to replace my front sway bar with a larger 1-1/2" Hellwig bar. In the process of reading/researching this purchase, I came across some threads across the internet that mentioned people experiencing severe oil pan damage from upside down sway bars. ( I have always had a semi-circular dent in the oil pan since I bought the truck. I just assumed it was supposed to be there, for clearance of the sway bar- umm, nope! ).
So, sure enough, my stock sway bar met the criteria people described as being upside down. It LOOKED right, if you didn't know any better. So, I made sure the new one went in the other way. I gained 3-4" of clearance between the bar and both the oil pan and the oversize filter, despite the bar being bigger then stock. Further, fixing the orientation of the bar also put the end links in a more vertical position, which is how they are supposed to be

So, if your front sway bar just about touches the differential housing, its on upside down.

To summarize and answer your question:

1.) Use a Fleet Guard LF9691 filter. (NOTE: 9691A is different and won't fit) It adds the bypass and additional oil capacity. Be prepared; its expensive and somewhat hard to find. I had to buy a case of them on ebay to get a reasonable price. I paid $24 each, in a case of 6 ($144). Buying them individually, they can cost $40-$50
I plan to offset the cost by extending my oil change interval, possibly to 10k

2.) Make sure your front springs are in good shape. You need the ride height and the resistance to excessive compression travel.

3.) Make sure your sway bar is not in upside down. - This is probably more important then 2.)

LF3630 is the "base" stock style replacement

LF9027 is Venturi combo filter ( same technology as the 9691, just smaller/closer to stock size)
https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.co...art&_locale=en

LF9691 is a venturi combo (bypass section in bottom), with a +2 quart oil capacity.
https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.co...art&_locale=en

Starting at page 3-19 is whole bunch of useful info on oil filtration
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...es/LT36498.pdf

Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM
PQH350
Junior User
Thank you carguy31. That is alot of good info. Rep on the way----

Nope! i do not use Chrome. Uses way to much memory for old computers. Omni use about 1/4 of the memory. Plus Google grabs alot of private info& sells it and they are biased in politics---Hillbots Wish it wasn't so cause that would be super easy.