2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2016 Expedition exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:46 PM
DoubleJ73
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Expedition exhaust

As part of my master plan, I knew that the '16 expedition I bought my wife last year would end up being mine! Looks like it will be happening this summer!!

One of the first things I would like to do would be to upgrade the exhaust system.....you know, to improve the gas mileage ;-)

Has anyone replaced theirs? The only aftermarket system I can find is the Magnaflow.......but not sure if I want to spend $800. Has anyone else had any luck? Or maybe this has to be done custom?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not too many options for the Expedition, my friend has a Corsa catback on his F150 3.5 Ecoboost and I like it.

It's just a little louder while driving normal and opens up when you get on it. You wont want it too loud being an SUV you'll here it more in the cab unlike outside under a truck bed.

I would just by a muffler for and F150 and have an exhaust shop swap it out. Or go to the shop first and see what muffler they have that will fit.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no experiance with exhaust on an EcoBoost motor but did a Magnaflow system on my previous 2005 Expedition. Even though the sound wasn't super loud the drone was unbearable with the large interior volumn of the Expedition. I ended up pulling the muffler out and installing a Stainless Works muffler on the Magnaflow system.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:59 AM
DoubleJ73
Junior User
Thank you both for the input. Back in my single-living days, I had straight pipes on my 5.4L F250. Loved the sound, and the in-cab drone didn't really bother me.
Now, even though this will be soley my daily driver, it will still be the vehicle we (me, wife, and 2 kids) will take on any extended trips. The last thing I want is to give my wife one more thing to be pissed at me for (she's already got a list as long as her arm!)
I have a buddy who owns a shop in NJ. I most likely will use him to bend up a larger diameter pipe, and have him recommend a "quiet" muffler.
The theory behind my madness: I eventually want to try to unlock some more power from the motor systematically. With the payments, I'm going to have this truck a LONG time! LOL!! I figured I would open up the exhaust first, then eventually move on to a better air tube and intercooler on the intake side. At that point I will investigate tuning. With money and time, this is probably a 2-3 year plan.
Again, Thanks! I always welcome input!!

Old 02-17-2018, 12:47 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want performance, I would suggest skipping the exhaust, it's actually a relatively large system from the factory, and if you look at the resonator, it appears to be ~4" inlet/outlet tubing. Get a 5-Star tune https://5startuning.com/

You purchase the device and they load several tunes onto it. I chose 87 octane performance/tow, 93 performance/tow and 93 performance. I initially loaded through the OBD2 port the 87 tune and was absolutely amazed at the difference it instantly made and have never felt the need to load the others into the truck. It literally picked up ~50 ft/lbs and ~35hp at the tires on just the 87 octane tune, and the gains aren't just at peak, the are also down low exactly where you drive.. I've got 62k miles on mine now with zero issues and you can purchase an all-inclusive 60/100k mile engine warranty. It will be the best $500 you've spent. Get it from stage 3 motorsports. https://www.stage3motorsports.com/70...tom-Tunes.html

Quick easy installation. Good luck

Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I also agree skip the exhaust if you're looking for power not sound. I've seen inside a stock ecoboost muffler, there's not really any restriction, I don't even know how it makes it so quiet. It's done through engineering not restriction.

The same guy who has the Corsa muffler also has a Livernois tuner and it made a huge difference in power. And Livernois doesn't even recommend a new intake just an aftermarket drop in filter.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631125

I would go straight to the tuner so you can actually get some seat of the pants increase out of your money, something you won't get from an intake or exhaust.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 AM
DoubleJ73
Junior User
Guys...thank you!!
I haven't done that much research at all...actually a little embarrassed!
My daily driver, an '09 Honda Odyssey (her old one....had to have when our first boy came along!) is starting to get a little tired. I am an electrician, so I use it mainly for work. To be honest, even though it is a minivan, I don't mind driving it...it does everything I need it to do.
She likes the Expy, but feels it a little too big for what she needs on a daily basis. I plan on keeping it, and trading the van on something she wants. Hence, this is the reason my mind is racing on what I can do to "personalize" it! ;-)
I guess I was stuck on the old way of thinking....exhaust, intake, engine internals, etc. I am an extreme novice when it comes to computer engine management, although I now understand it is probably the easiest and most cost effective way to go.
Side note: Pretty sure I can do it without the wife even knowing!! lol!!!
Thanks again for the input!!