6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 F250 supercrew 4x4 6.4L turbo issue question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM
morph4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 F250 supercrew 4x4 6.4L turbo issue question.

greetings
yesterday on drive home saw white exhaust coming from tail pipes, looked at dash and did not see DPF regen in process, couple miles later going up hill hear a pop! and sudden power loss looked at turbo boost gauge and it was at 0 got home opened hood and noticed inlet tube from charge air cooler to throttle body was separated from hose and clamp was laying down near hood latch. now i had my truck in a collision center for front end damage they replaced among other parts the charge air cooler now question is if that clamp was off for a while would that affect turbo failure? or was the pop i heard the clamp blowing off?
i did not get a check engine light, i did plug in my OBD II scanner and found two trouble codes, P2002 diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold bank 1 and P0401 exhaust EGR flow insufficient. i replaced clamp and started engine and still no turbo boost.
further more i'm concerned because the first time i picked up my truck from collision center the next day it started making a whining noise i check fuel cooler reservoir and it is bone dry, turns out the whining noise was the fuel coolant pump, which according to my bill they had already replaced?? among that i had found other issues withe the quality of workmanship that make me very concerned of other potential mechanical issues yet to come. to make a long story shorter my question is it related to repair or a coincidence?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I would say the loud pop was the clamp coming off. They definatly give off a crap your pants pop when they go. Had one pop off on our ladder truck one time. The thud sounded like it was coming through the floor!!!!!

I know all about the fuel cooler whining. If they didn’t bleed the system properly the pump could get air locked again. So make sure it gets bleed. Turn the fuel cooler down to inline with the bumper, open the Allen bleeder screw on the turbo, and hand pump one of the coolant lines as you continue to tip off the resevor. Do it now instead of on the side of the road 4 hrs from home like I did.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:12 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morph4x4
greetings
yesterday on drive home saw white exhaust coming from tail pipes, looked at dash and did not see DPF regen in process, couple miles later going up hill hear a pop! and sudden power loss looked at turbo boost gauge and it was at 0 got home opened hood and noticed inlet tube from charge air cooler to throttle body was separated from hose and clamp was laying down near hood latch. now i had my truck in a collision center for front end damage they replaced among other parts the charge air cooler now question is if that clamp was off for a while would that affect turbo failure? or was the pop i heard the clamp blowing off?
i did not get a check engine light, i did plug in my OBD II scanner and found two trouble codes, P2002 diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold bank 1 and P0401 exhaust EGR flow insufficient. i replaced clamp and started engine and still no turbo boost.
further more i'm concerned because the first time i picked up my truck from collision center the next day it started making a whining noise i check fuel cooler reservoir and it is bone dry, turns out the whining noise was the fuel coolant pump, which according to my bill they had already replaced?? among that i had found other issues withe the quality of workmanship that make me very concerned of other potential mechanical issues yet to come. to make a long story shorter my question is it related to repair or a coincidence?

The loud pop was most certainly the the hose poping off it makes a scary loud noise. I would make sure all the charged air hoses are connected properly before attacking any thing else, the most common one for blowing off or blowing out is the lower hose on the drivers side. But check all four hoses, there two on each side