Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:42 PM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement LED Headlights

Hello all... I think I did it again. I've researched myself into stagnation

I am restoring a 1972 F100 Custom 240cc I6

Have any of you replaced your headlights with LEDs and regretted it? What is the best bang for buck? Are they truly "drop in," or do those little "*may require slight modification for fitment disclaimers" true?

I fear I'm stuck at this point and would appreciate any info from people who have actually done it. Plan is headlamps, first, then indicators and tail.

thanks in advance

Old 02-12-2018, 05:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I think the best bang for the buck is a headlight harness system which provides full voltage and clean current to the headlamps... cost is only about $30.

If that doesn't suit your tastes then upgrade sealed beams to halogens, or halogen to replacement headlights with H4 bulbs or European spec headlamps from Hella. Even with changeable bulbs the headlamp buckets may need to be clearanced to provide room for the relatively large rubber seal.

Some issues with LEDs is of course the initial cost, the aforementioned clearancing of the buckets,... and the lack of heat they generate which is sometimes a bad thing because they won't or don't melt built up snow and ice.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 PM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I think the best bang for the buck is a headlight harness system which provides full voltage and clean current to the headlamps... cost is only about $30.

If that doesn't suit your tastes then upgrade sealed beams to halogens, or halogen to replacement headlights with H4 bulbs or European spec headlamps from Hella. Even with changeable bulbs the headlamp buckets may need to be clearanced to provide room for the relatively large rubber seal.

Some issues with LEDs is of course the initial cost, the aforementioned clearancing of the buckets,... and the lack of heat they generate which is sometimes a bad thing because they won't or don't melt built up snow and ice.

Welcome to FTE.
Thank you for the info and the welcomes

I do need to go LED, as that is the end-game, and I don't want to do it twice. This truck will eventually be converted to electric, so the maximum amount of battery draw efficiency is pretty critical. Power pulls and weight all need reducing

Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Going full electric propulsion in the truck???

Care to elaborate? Why? What's the plan? What's the goal?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Going full electric propulsion in the truck???

Care to elaborate? Why? What's the plan? What's the goal?
Why? Solar charging and no gas, and negligible pollution.

The plan is a 3-phase high-torque AC induction motor drive and controller and Li Ion or LiPo or FeLiO4P storage system

Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
With the annoucment of three electric tractor trailers coming out in 2019, I can see a trend of electric or hybrid/electric conversions coming.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Daizee, are you planning on a motor placed per each rear wheel, or a tranny driven by one the motor?

Old 02-13-2018, 03:57 AM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Daizee, are you planning on a motor placed per each rear wheel, or a tranny driven by one the motor?
one motor with clutch assembly run to the stock tranny (toploader 3.03)

to do a motor on more than one wheel, you'd need more than one controller, and then the ability to coordinate "or talk" to one another... and that's complexity reaching beyond my mechanical, and financial capabilities.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Jim-Pro
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello Daizee, I put truck-lite brand led's in my 68 F 100. They dropped in with out a problem. I really do like them, all though they are costly. The brightness is of no comparison to conventional head lights! Power draw is extremely low 9 v- 33 v 1.8 A ( low beam ) 3.6 A (high beam). The styling is a bit modern and is one of the features I was not fond of ( kind of flat on the profile) but that I am getting used to it. Also they are made in USA and thats a big plus for me. The quality seems very durable and rugged, made to last I believe. Got them from amazon. I hope this helps you out some, good luck, JIM.....

Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 AM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
There are some you-tube videos on led head light comparisons which you might find helpful.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:30 AM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jim-Pro
Hello Daizee, I put truck-lite brand led's in my 68 F 100. They dropped in with out a problem. I really do like them, all though they are costly. The brightness is of no comparison to conventional head lights! Power draw is extremely low 9 v- 33 v 1.8 A ( low beam ) 3.6 A (high beam). The styling is a bit modern and is one of the features I was not fond of ( kind of flat on the profile) but that I am getting used to it. Also they are made in USA and thats a big plus for me. The quality seems very durable and rugged, made to last I believe. Got them from amazon. I hope this helps you out some, good luck, JIM.....
Thank you I agree with you... I was hoping to keep a "stock-ish" look, but it seems those options don't rate well. Appreciate the info... I'm going to give 'em a look

Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Originally Posted by john jamieson
There are some you-tube videos on led head light comparisons which you might find helpful.
Thanks John I did watch a bunch as part of my research into it. The problem was that the ones where I was kinda impressed, the "review" wasn't exactly unbiased.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 AM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
The brightness is of no comparison to conventional head lights! Power draw is extremely low 9 v- 33 v 1.8 A ( low beam ) 3.6 A (high beam).
I forgot to ask: Did you mean they weren't as bright? or the LED were way brighter?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Jim-Pro
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
They are way brighter!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM
DaizeeDoesIt
Junior User
Thumbs up

They are way brighter!