Running on-road and off-road diesel from the same tank? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Running on-road and off-road diesel from the same tank?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of

So I recently purchased a 60-gallon bed-mounted transfer tank and pump for my truck. The point is to supply off-road diesel to my tractors on the job site. However, if the tank is basically empty and I refill it with road diesel would it be OK to pump into my truck? I realize the diesel itself is identical but I'm sure there would still be traces of red-dyed diesel making its way into my fuel system. Could that create problems and not be worth it down the road? Anybody else do this? By the way, there is a filter on what comes out of the tank as well.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Poncho450
Posting Guru
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My question would be how much do you actually see truck enforcement stops in the area that you travel in?
Off the interstate they're not too often in my area. I might see them a couple of times per year in my part time job driving truck for a USPS contractor.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Depends on how strict they are on enforcement. Some places look for any traces of dye at all, others look for more color before they start writing tickets.

Most people that I know who have transfer tanks for tractors say it's best to never use the tank for dual-purpose farm use and OHV.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 AM
tubaphysics
Freshman User
tubaphysics is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would second the never use route. The fine can be very steep and IMO not worth the risk.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Offshore530
Senior User
Offshore530 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If itís almost empty and you fill it up with on road diesel youíll be fine. I have A 55 gallon transfer tank and do it all the time. I cant Even see a trace of the dye in a clear glass.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The dye isn't supposed to cause any issues but I have no experience. They dye all kinds of fuels from racing gas to aviation fuel. But I don't have any experience with diesel. My only concern might be the effect on the DPF. Again, I have no experience.

Poncho's point is a good one. Are fuel checks a 'thing' where you are? In big agri-business areas I see them more frequently. In larger cities, almost never.

One thing to note: The IRS types profile their targets for such things. I remember seeing an inspection checkpoint stopping trucks pulling campers on I-95 the week of the Daytona 500 about 10 years ago. Seems a lot of farmers, that have bed mounted fuel tanks tow campers to Florida for the 500 as an off-season vacation. And some of them must use off-road diesel from their bed mounted tank to save on fuel costs.

If you do decide to do that. Save your receipts and record your mileage for the fuel you put in the truck. It might save your *** from a very big fine.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
HouseMouse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HouseMouse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just a thought..... When my last Diesel whet in for a fuel related issue, the Mechanics took a fuel sample. Also, "If" your servicing dealer changes your fuel filters there may be some questions. There was a post here somewhere about a dealer reporting that they found Off-Road diesel to the Man. Let the buyer be ware.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:02 AM
6.2caribou
Senior User
6.2caribou is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does the transfer tank/pump have a filter on the discharge side that's going to hold dyed fuel? If so, maybe changing it would make sense. Does the pump pickup fuel from the tank bottom or does it stand off of the bottom a bit, and never completely empty the tank?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Good thoughts guys. The dye certainly does not harm the DPF; I've got a tractor with a DPF and it runs off-road no problem.

There's some enforcement around here but not a ton. Mostly where you get caught is at dealers and private mechanics. I think legally they are supposed to report use of untaxed fuel. I had a buddy in college driving a Jeep Liberty diesel running nothing but pink fuel. Took it to the dealer for a warranty issue and ended up paying a $10k fine.

I'm not looking to do anything illegal...I'll pay the tax on my road diesel...but there are times when it would be convenient to use the tank for both fuels.

Good point on the filter. New ones are $22, so that helps negate savings.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Offshore530
Senior User
Offshore530 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive had mine in for service including fuel filters and have never had a problem. Like i said you canít even tell thereís dye in it. My pickup in the tank probably leaves about a gallon when i empty it completely. So thereís at least 50 gallons mixing with that one gallon of dyed. I wouldnt hesitate to do it. Unless they send a sample out to a lab (which they wonít)they will never be able to tell. Fill it up and put some in a clear glass you wonít see any dye.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:02 AM
stewy604
Elder User
stewy604 is starting off with a positive reputation.
As said above, comes down to how strict they are at enforcing this. Locally, I haven't heard much noise over the past 5 years on targeting personal 3/4 and 1-ton pickups. But that said, a Tidy Tank in the bed is usually an indicator that could spark interest for enforcement officials. I've heard its possible to direct plumb a transfer tank into your fuel system, I'm sure anything is possible...and then just run a switch to control which tank its drawing from? That way, if they dip your tank...it'll still have un-marked (pump) diesel in it.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
... I've heard its possible to direct plumb a transfer tank into your fuel system, I'm sure anything is possible...and then just run a switch to control which tank its drawing from? That way, if they dip your tank...it'll still have un-marked (pump) diesel in it.
I'm assuming they would check this. DOT is pretty wise these days. But I'm not going to do that anyway. Likely, I'll never use this tank for my truck unless in an emergency. Just trying to find out. I guess if others are letting their tanks run down to a gallon or so and adding 50 gallons of road diesel with no color showing up, maybe its fine.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM
cattaco
Senior User
cattaco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why would a dealer report it? What does that benefit them, if anything it would cost them business.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by cattaco View Post
Why would a dealer report it? What does that benefit them, if anything it would cost them business.
To keep from getting fined for failing to report a violation.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:00 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cattaco View Post
Some dealers (and specifically the techs working on them) are more "customer friendly" than others. This goes for techs that don't mind a deleted diesel truck, or one with a tuner, or maybe one that has pink diesel in it. But technically they are supposed to report federal violations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running on-road and off-road diesel from the same tank?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.