Tonneau cover recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Check these guys out: Peragon.com

I've had one on my 2011 truck since new. It's a hard aluminum cover that folds like an accordion and it won't break the bank.

That thing is slick. How sturdy is it if you set things on top of it? Prone to scratching?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Check these guys out: Peragon.com

I've had one on my 2011 truck since new. It's a hard aluminum cover that folds like an accordion and it won't break the bank.

I wonder if that cover would work with this rack. The pics they have looks like its installed with a revolver x2/x4. How much room is there between the pocket stake and the cover?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 PM
EB-Larry
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cover

Originally Posted by function12
I got the undercover untraflex after reading all of the bad reviews on Bakflip.
https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-37114-ultra-flex.html
My daughter and I both got them and could not be happier.
I cant tell from the video what keeps it locked. Does it interlock with the tail gate in some way?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:11 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by EB-Larry
I cant tell from the video what keeps it locked. Does it interlock with the tail gate in some way?
It locks with the latches on the sides. The clip in place along the mounting rails.
You can open and close your tailgate with the cover closed.

This video will help you.
around the 6 minute mark it shows the latches.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
That thing is slick. How sturdy is it if you set things on top of it? Prone to scratching?
It's powder coated aircraft aluminum. I set lihter boxes and such on all the time but I wouldn't recommend any serious weight nor would I stand on it.

Originally Posted by Terryd91
I wonder if that cover would work with this rack. The pics they have looks like its installed with a revolver x2/x4. How much room is there between the pocket stake and the cover?
My stake pockets are fully available but if the stake takes up more space outside the pocket then I'd recommend that you call Peragon and ask.

Te Peragon covers are made in Wisconsin. The tracks and roller bearings are built such that they'll shed / clear any ice and snow that may build up. Naturally the cover would need to be swept off prior to opening if covered in snow or ice.

The Peragon is perhaps one of the best built and least expensive covers available.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
It's powder coated aircraft aluminum. I set lihter boxes and such on all the time but I wouldn't recommend any serious weight nor would I stand on it.

My stake pockets are fully available but if the stake takes up more space outside the pocket then I'd recommend that you call Peragon and ask.

Te Peragon covers are made in Wisconsin. The tracks and roller bearings are built such that they'll shed / clear any ice and snow that may build up. Naturally the cover would need to be swept off prior to opening if covered in snow or ice.

The Peragon is perhaps one of the best built and least expensive covers available.
This looks to be the route I may go. I like the idea of it collapsing into the bed vs being propped up when/if I need to haul something.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 305 Likes on 280 Posts
Todd, I have a Peragon cover that I installed last October. As Tim mentioned, it is a durable cover and IMO is quiet. There is nothing to flap around in the wind as your are driving.
It comes standard with a keyed lock that locks on the driver side right behind the cab. You have the option of ordering it with a dual deadbolt lock which adds another locking point the passenger side. It is easily removed if the full bed is needed, yet the rails will stay attached to the truck.

So far, I have been quite impressed with it and look forward to many years of use. Click on the link in my signature and you will find pictures of my install.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Peragon is also made in USA and family owned. I have a toolbox currently however next truck will have a Peragon cover, no question.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Have any of you with the Peragon had the issue of stuff sliding up front then not being able to open the cover? seems to be one of the main complaints in the reviews. Any one have the leaking issues a number have mentioned.

Im stuck between the peragon and the revolver x2. Both should work with the adarac pocket stake ladder rack for my kayak but one rolls up on the top and one folds to the bottom.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 305 Likes on 280 Posts
I have a 6.5' bed and when the cover is open. there is about 10-12" between the cover and the bed floor. There is no interference issues if something slides to the front as long as it is not taller than the space mentioned.

As far as leaks, I do have on occasion after severe rain and wind some very minimal water inside the bed. I believe that it is coming from where the seal on the back edge of the cover meets with the inside lip of the tailgate. I think that once I make some minor adjustments to the front to back position of the cover, it will take care of the leak.

I am sure that Tim or others that have them will chime in.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Mine also leaks a bit during heavy rain but I think mine is coming from the front seal. As Neil mentioned, a small adjustment.

I found that putting items that must stay absolutely dry in a tote is the best and easiest way to transport. As far as items sliding forward, I keep a three prong garden rake in the back to hook stuff. Additionally, I have a piece of wood in a pocket that will hold items between it and the tailgate.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM
pmillen
Freshman User
You also asked about WeatherTech vs. Husky. I have one each floor liners (not floor mats) in my vehicles; F150 KR and Yukon XL.

Fit: WeatherTech, but not by much and it may be vehicle dependent. The Husky is in my F150.

Other: Husky is softer material that goes in and out easier and doesn't seem to take a set if you crush a lip. The color is a push.

Price: It appears that the Husky is slightly more costly.

Winner: Husky by a nose.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:56 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by pmillen
You also asked about WeatherTech vs. Husky. I have one each floor liners (not floor mats) in my vehicles; F150 KR and Yukon XL.

Fit: WeatherTech, but not by much and it may be vehicle dependent. The Husky is in my F150.

Other: Husky is softer material that goes in and out easier and doesn't seem to take a set if you crush a lip. The color is a push.

Price: It appears that the Husky is slightly more costly.

Winner: Husky by a nose.
I found a set of ford mats that look very similar to the weather tech and husky for a very good price. I may try these.

Ordered the peragon cover today. Added the no drill install kit, stainless hardware and the tailgate seal kit. Looking forward to installing it and I’ll post some pics when it’s in.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tshrager
I found a set of ford mats that look very similar to the weather tech and husky for a very good price. I may try these.

Ordered the peragon cover today. Added the no drill install kit, stainless hardware and the tailgate seal kit. Looking forward to installing it and I’ll post some pics when it’s in.
Don't be afraid to reach out to the support team at Peragon. Their service after the sale is rivaled by no one. Simply the best and most helpful group of folks that I've ever dealt with.

I'm not a fanboy or a cheerleader but simply impressed that there is actually an American company that places quality and customer satisfaction above all else. It's a rare attribute these days.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 AM
SloScooter
Senior User
Originally Posted by shortride
The BakFlip MX4 is fairly popular with a lot of guys here. That's what I've had on my last 2 pickups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVQ8VkLvjY
wife had a 2016 F150 and now an 18 and this is the cover she stayed with. I also have one on my F250. Love it.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover recommendations