1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rear most valve cover bolts - best technique?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:05 AM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Rear most valve cover bolts - best technique?

Did my passenger side UVCH and glow plugs Saturday, then started on drivers side when I noticed two of the oil deflector shields and bolts were completely detached and laying next to the rocker arms. Counted my lucky stars.

Now I have doubts about the passenger side oil deflector shield bolts, and have to pull the cover back off to check.

I have the 13mm short form universal socket that everyone recommended and it's really the only thing I could get on a some of the valve cover bolts. The rear most drivers side was especially hard to get to for some reason. I fidgeted with that one for 10 minutes before finally getting traction.

Is there a "best technique" for getting a socket on those rear most valve cover bolts that we can't see with our eyes? Is coming in from the bottom or maybe the wheel well any better?

Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 AM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
also just for being helpful here are torque settings for this project:

Glow plugs: 14 ft-lbs ------------------ 168 in-lbs
oil deflector bolts: 9 ft-lbs ------------ 108 in-lbs
Rocker arm bolts: 20 ft-lbs ---------- 240 in-lbs
Valve cover bolts: 6 ft-lbs --------------- 72 in-lbs

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
The fee times i removed mine, i didn't have an issue with the ds side covers but did the first v time vwith ps. Came vup from bottom to get to that one bolt. Now, figured out how to finesse them all...next time going in, im replacing with allen bolts..

Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by queen of spades

I have the 13mm short form universal socket that everyone recommended and it's really the only thing I could get on a some of the valve cover bolts. The rear most drivers side was especially hard to get to for some reason. I fidgeted with that one for 10 minutes before finally getting traction.

Is there a "best technique" for getting a socket on those rear most valve cover bolts that we can't see with our eyes? Is coming in from the bottom or maybe the wheel well any better?
1/4" drive ratchet with standard or deep socket depending on the location. From the top reaching back and feeling for it. The ratchet I use is short no longer than my hand.

Passenger side lower bolts I do through the wheelwell.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
I thought valve cover bolts get torqued to 98 INCH pounds

didn't mention if you did a hot torque on injector hold down bolts while you were there

Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
A list of things to check while under the VC's would be nice if anyone knows what all should be checked. For bolts like VC bolts I just use my standard German torque...gutentite. But I've been using it for a long time and don't strip bolts out.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
I thought valve cover bolts get torqued to 98 INCH pounds

didn't mention if you did a hot torque on injector hold down bolts while you were there
I went by this post ? Valve cover bolt torque ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com also this one: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12614924

Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Motor was cold when I did the work so I did not torque hold down bolts.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
The second link also lists the valve cover torque as 97 INCH pounds

Engine can be cold to torque the injector hold down bolts. Then you reconnect the 42 pin, leave the valve covers and ic piping off and let it idle for 30-40 minutes to get the engine up to operating temp, then retorque injectors. That's what is termed a hot torque on here.
Injector hold down spec is 120 INCH pounds, but most go 130, engine runs much quieter if you do

Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
...next time going in, im replacing with allen bolts....

Scotttahoe tried that, and profoundly regretted it the next time he went in. It was far easier to "target" a bolt with a 13mm flex socket than it was to nail that dink of an Allen hole with the correct orientation. He and I spent more time extracting the Allen bolts than we did for the entire removal and installation of the normal bolts on Stinky's valve covers.

As for the rear bolts on the valve covers (torque values aside), face the windshield and use your arm nearest the engine to position the socket. Use your other hand to use the tool at the end of a stupid-long extension. I have about 18" of extensions, a cordless drill, and a universal joint. I get those bolts out in less than 10 seconds.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tugly
As for the rear bolts on the valve covers (torque values aside), face the windshield and use your arm nearest the engine to position the socket. Use your other hand to use the tool at the end of a stupid-long extension.
Do you have two universals in your setup above?

How I approached the driver side was to get a thick comforter (I have an old one I keep in my shop) and lay stomach down on top of the engine. It helps to have a concrete block or something to stand on to help yourself up.

I used my left hand, snaking under the master cylinder & behind the wire looms, to reach the back of the valve cover and hold the socket in place. Used right hand to loosen/tighten. Hard to get a usable torque measurement with universal joints in the mix.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
For the very back bolts (one on each head), I use a 13mm deep with a universal - the same one I use on the 13mm stud bolts. With the deep and universal, it gets up and clear of the valve cover - then it's just some long extensions to get to the cordless impact driver in my other hand. I have a Milwaukee Fuel 18V impact driver, which has the ability to set the torque with control buttons. I set the torque that has never come loose (without bending stuff), and pull the trigger. I used to use a Milwaukee drill (pre-Fuel) with torque setting on the head, so that will work as well.

I've tightened the valve covers by hand and by driver a gajillion times, and I've never had one of those come loose. Now as far as the injector hold-down bolts....

Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 PM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've tightened the valve covers by hand and by driver a gajillion times, and I've never had one of those come loose. Now as far as the injector hold-down bolts....
Is blue loctite a good bet for the hold down bolts? I'm thinking I should pull my drivers valve cover back off and check them. Haven't connected the CAC or airbox hoses up yet.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Pulled both my covers again tonight to prepare for hot torque of rocker bolts.

That drivers side rear bolt is definitely the PITA of them all. Had to use my 13mm stubby universal to pop it loose.

Discovered that I could use a straight 13mm deep well and a 3in extension for the passenger side rear bolt.

Unfortunately I had to stop because the air inlet tube had major cracking. Ordered a replacement Ford part off Amazon for $48.
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM
queen of spades
Laughing Gas
Here are the bolts that need to be checked/torqued when the engine is hot:
The items circled in red are the rocker arm pedestal bolts (20 lb-ft). The bolt circled in blue is your injector hold down bolt (120 lb-in). This picture just happens to be of the #4 with the circles on it.
Ref: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6785635

Also a good thread with discussion about hot torquing these bolts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...wn-torque.html

Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
This is my setup for all the valve cover bolts. I use a battery ratchet from HF.

More details here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17765875

Quick Reply: Rear most valve cover bolts - best technique?