Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need Help Low Boost Slow Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
So your boost reading is coming from the TS and NOT from an actual boost gauge? Could there be an issue with the reading of your boost? The pedestal area is a known area for leaks a lot of us do an EBPV delete for that reason. . Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Fuel filter clean?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I should point out that if you live in an area with cold winters, you want that EBPV to warm the truck up quicker. Aside from that... I live in mountainous terrain, and my EBPV does double duty as an engine brake.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Ricky Bobbie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
So your boost reading is coming from the TS and NOT from an actual boost gauge? Could there be an issue with the reading of your boost? The pedestal area is a known area for leaks a lot of us do an EBPV delete for that reason. . Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Fuel filter clean?
Yes boost numbers come from TS which I think is reading off the MAP sensor. But either way the truck is a lot more sluggish than other 7.3’s I’ve driven comparing at stock setting. I’ve got a problem somewhere. It’s like turbo only works at high rpms with pedal on floor, other than when standing on pedal truck is weak. I’m going to try and post video of ICP and IPR duty cycle with truck on 75 horse tune. Thanks Again fellas
IMG_3480.MOV

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Ricky Bobbie
New User
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobbie

Yes boost numbers come from TS which I think is reading off the MAP sensor. But either way the truck is a lot more sluggish than other 7.3’s I’ve driven comparing at stock setting. I’ve got a problem somewhere. It’s like turbo only works at high rpms with pedal on floor, other than when standing on pedal truck is weak. I’m going to try and post video of ICP and IPR duty cycle with truck on 75 horse tune. Thanks Again fellas
IMG_3480.MOV
I couldn’t post video but WOT ICP seems to average around 2180psi and IPR duty cycle made it up to 61% until turbo bark while accelerating.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How high did the ICP go? When it started dropping, was it because you let off the throttle? Or did it drop on its own?

Where abouts are you? There may be someone on here that's close that may be able to help.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Ricky Bobbie
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
How high did the ICP go? When it started dropping, was it because you let off the throttle? Or did it drop on its own?

Where abouts are you? There may be someone on here that's close that may be able to help.
Im located just North of Youngsville, NC. I saw it around 2500 for a fraction of a second and it dropped when shifting and when turbo started barking. When turbo started barking I was still in throttle. Is there anyway to post video of guage on the forum? Thanks

Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Im located just North of Youngsville, NC. I saw it around 2500 for a fraction of a second and it dropped when shifting and when turbo started barking. When turbo started barking I was still in throttle. Is there anyway to post video of guage on the forum? Thanks
Post it to YouTube first, then post the link here.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Ricky Bobbie
New User
I took truck to a creditable diesel shop today. Tech hooked scanner to truck and ended up driving himself. He agreed truck is weak. We could only test stock since we had to unplug Informant from OBDI.
Tech said what really stands out is that he only saw Oil pressure of 2800 when it should have been 3500.
He said most likely my problem is HPOP. But could be regulator, injector, or low fuel pressure.
i dropped the fuel tank today and found the two little screens were packed with stuff I just knew I found the culprit but that wasn’t it. Truck is the same.
He quoted $1200 to replace HPOP and regulator. 1 year warranty and unlimited mileage.
Do you all feel this could be my problem?

Does $1200 sound reasonable?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
2800 is fine on the HPOP, find a new mechanic. I don't have the answer to your problem though.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Ricky Bobbie
New User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
2800 is fine on the HPOP, find a new mechanic. I don't have the answer to your problem though.
Yes, after researching seems 2800 is right where it should be. I’m about to go nutz trying to correct the lack of power on this truck. I’m considering replacing the ICP, IPR, or MAP. MAP is probably ok reads 1.5v KOEO and keeps about 14 psi difference between Boost. Any thoughts on replacing sensors?

Old 02-18-2018, 02:54 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, after researching seems 2800 is right where it should be. I’m about to go nutz trying to correct the lack of power on this truck. I’m considering replacing the ICP, IPR, or MAP. MAP is probably ok reads 1.5v KOEO and keeps about 14 psi difference between Boost. Any thoughts on replacing sensors?
I've been following this thread for a while. I have not seen mention of a good diagnostics tool... Rather than throwing money at parts, consider getting TorquePro and a bluetooth dongle for the OBD port. Even if that also means buying an Android tablet to run it on.

While I'm not an expert at reading the output, there are several experts here on the forum. They might see the problem source right away if the data was in front of them.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:01 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Check your fuel pressure. Make the hose long enough to tuckit under your windshield wiper so you can see it under load at wide open throttle.

​​​​

Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Ricky Bobbie
New User
So I’ve dropped the tank and I thought I had found the problem but not so lucky. The little shotgun shell filters had a lot of little black specs in them so I cleaned and reinstalled tank but no difference. Then I did a lot of research on best mechanics for 7.3 and made a lot of phone calls. Then I took the truck to Powell’s Powerstroke Repair who advertises the latest diagnostic equipment. He came highly recommended. He has been going over the truck for a couple of days and has came to the conclusion I need to replace the injectors. He checked fuel pressure and said it maintained 40psi. He said it could cost $4000 to replace injectors and glow plugs. I’m no expert, but can the engine run smoothly with no signs of starving for fuel and need all the injectors replaces?
Would faulty injectors cause low boost and weak power?
Would this explain why truck makes more boost on stock rather than tunes?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
In my opinion, no.

40 PSI, the pressure is not supposed to drop below 52 (I think that is the minimum safe number).

I do not come highly recommended as a mechanic, but for $4000 I would be looking for a second opinion.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:28 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So I’ve dropped the tank and I thought I had found the problem but not so lucky. The little shotgun shell filters had a lot of little black specs in them so I cleaned and reinstalled tank but no difference. Then I did a lot of research on best mechanics for 7.3 and made a lot of phone calls. Then I took the truck to Powell’s Powerstroke Repair who advertises the latest diagnostic equipment. He came highly recommended. He has been going over the truck for a couple of days and has came to the conclusion I need to replace the injectors. He checked fuel pressure and said it maintained 40psi. He said it could cost $4000 to replace injectors and glow plugs. I’m no expert, but can the engine run smoothly with no signs of starving for fuel and need all the injectors replaces?
Would faulty injectors cause low boost and weak power?
Would this explain why truck makes more boost on stock rather than tunes?
Yes, it could run smoothly yet need injectors.
Yes, faulty injectors can certainly cause low boost.
No, this does not explain why it makes more boost in stock tune versus a performance tune.
Here's the 64 dollar question, How did he come up with it being an injector problem?
Glow plug replacement is a good idea. Be sure to use Motorcraft! Glow plugs though have nothing to do with how your truck is running now.
I'm not saying your truck doesn't need injectors. But if I was going to spend $4000.00 for injectors (which I would never do) and GP's, I would want to know for damn sure that was going to fix it.

Quick Reply: Need Help Low Boost Slow Throttle