Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Grille and Brush Guards available for our Trucks

Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.
Grille and Brush Guards available for our Trucks

Bullnose Forum:

Have some great news - It looks like we DO have a source for Grille and Brush guards for our trucks. Actually, editing this to add that we now have TWO sources!

Recently I found a Grille Guard after a LONG search, & I know others have had a hard time finding them too - pretty much limited to junkyards and eBay. After finding mine, I set about looking for a shop or vendor that could replicate it, and who would make them available to the community. TWO sources are now available. A longtime FTE member, Reamer, who has a beautiful flareside, also has a plasma cutter (!). He has taken the templates from the uprights of my guard and is now replicating them. You can source either the guard from him that is identical to mine (pics later in this thread) OR he will do just the sides for you and you can weld up your own tubing. PM him for more details and availability.

The other source is Sterling Equipment. I knew that Sterling in Orlando FL still made classic roll bars, so I reached out to them. I told our story, and... It turns out that they still have all the old CAD files for the brush and grille guards for our trucks that they made back in the 1980s. They do various models, and their base model differs slightly from mine in that it is a bit taller.

Wade, who I believe is the owner, is very knowledgeable and was around with them in the 80s when they made and stocked these for the then-current Ford trucks. Basically, what we have here is an aftermarket manufacturer who will dust off the old blueprints, and make them again for anyone, no minimum order / group buy needed.

So here's the scoop:
  • These are all fully MIG-welded, and powder coated in semi gloss black. Flat and gloss black is also available if you want as an option.
  • The side pieces mount through the four bumper bolt holes and into the frame, which is just as strong as the J-Hook style and offers better clearance.
  • The sides come down to the outside of the bumper bolts.

The center piece only, or Grille Guard, is available as the base model.
"The Legacy Base Model (2 crosstubes + light mount tabs)
Part# 584C @ $250.00 + shipping (this will ship byUPS Ground)

The Grille Guard plus Brush Guard (extending out to cover the lights) is available and is shown below. Wade wrote "This is the legacy profile andlayout for the unit we made at that time."

Part# 184C @ $ 350.00 (pictured below)

Here is their website: Web: www.sterling-equipment.comThey also have a Facebook presence: https://www.facebook.com/SterlingEquipment/

Last edited by SCFlareside; 03-07-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Adding second source (Reamer)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:04 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a great reputation on FTE.
More info and options

Here is more info: They have other options available and can do various custom builds. Different hoops for the brush guards, three bars on the Grille Guards... WINCH MOUNTS....

The drawings below are basic but you get the idea

GRILLE & BRUSH GUARDS

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
- All Grille & Brush Guards are constructed to orderfor the specific vehicle. Made In The USA!
- Full 5/16” Mild Steel Side Plates – Laser Cut
- Grill Guard Tubes: 2 1/4"od x .083" Wall MildSteel Tubing
- Brush Guard Hoops - Wrap-Around Style & Flat Style:1 1/4"od x .083" Wall Mild Steel Tubing

- One-Piece Fully MIG Welded Construction

- 2 Auxiliary Light Mount Points (Additional Mount PointsAvailable At Time Of Order)
- Powder Coated Finish - Semi-Gloss Black (Sorry, NOCHROME/STAINLESS/ALUMINUM)
- Complete Installation Hardware And Instructions

GUARD MODELS:

-Gator Model Brush Guard / Grill Guard-- Part# 84C-G @$500.00 + Freight
(Traditional Model Brush Guard / Grill Guard below plusGator Option, Jammer Option, 3rd Bar Option, Euro or 2” over-riderOption, and Wires Option listed below)

-Traditional Model Brush Guard / Grill Guard-- Part# [email protected] $375.00 + Freight
(Base Model Grill Guard below with integrated TraditionalNon-Wrap Style Brush Guard Hoops)

-Base Model Grill Guard -- with third cross tube added Part# 84C-B @ $300.00 + Freight
(Two steel side plates, three cross tubes, and twoauxiliary light mount points)

OPTIONS:
-G: 2"ODround tube brush guard hoops. Option for Traditional Model Package only @ +$45.00.

- To order add "-G"suffix to part #

-W: forcombination grill guard & brush guard models only. Horizontal 3/8"wire rod screen in brush guard hoops (wrap-around and flat style brush guardhoops) @ + $105.00

- to order add"-W" suffix to combo part #

-B : third acrosstube added at base of guard @ + $32.50.
- to order add"-B" suffix to part #

-J: 1 1/2"wide steel backbone added to steel side plate edge with full length vinyloverlay pad. @ + $85.00

- to order add"-J" suffix to part #

-E : 1.25” hoodbar on top of guard only or span between brush guard hoops on brush guardmodels @ + $37.50.

- to order add"-E" suffix to part #

-S : 2" tubeover-rider Bar (center hood bar) on top of guard @ + $42.50.

- to order add"-S" suffix to part #

-AR : 2" boxreceiver mount added to bottom of winch cradle. @ + $65.00.

- to order add"-AR" suffix to part #

-L : Light barcross bar for mounting 4 auxiliary light mount points just above winch.Drilling required. @ + $90.00
- to order add "-L" suffix topart #

-WP: Add low-profile mount series 3/8”steel cradle for mounting all low-profile mount winches. @ + $125.00
- to order add“WP” to part number – example: 84CWP-B for Base Model configuration

WadeP. Rogers
SterlingEquipment & Mfg. Co. Of Central Florida, Inc.
803Line St.
Umatilla,FL 32784
Ph: (352) 669-3255
Fx: (352-669-7711

Email:[email protected]
Web:www.sterling-equipment.com

Last edited by SCFlareside; 02-13-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added diagram of winch guard
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Will fix the photos above...

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
WOW! Do you think they will really "fire up" the welders?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
WOW is right!!!

If we can get the pictures working (the more, the better!) I'll make this a Sticky at the top of this forum, I'll probably un-stick the garage/bullpen thread to make room for this one.

Thanks, SCF!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Yep! Talked with him just today... I was happy to see the price, for a quality welded guard. I'll see if we can get a profile view of the one with winch plate also

Got the pictures fixed above - they are basically small diagrams of some of the options

Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
Confused about the "third tube" since the "middle" tube would be just above the top of the bumper. Would that look funny with the lowest "third tube" below the bumper line?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Yeah! Eye candy is good for helping people decide. The more you can give us, the more inclined people will be to pursue it.

~~

Ya know, when I first got my truck (2005) there were lots of these things in the junkyards, so I figured I'd get one from there "sometime."

Fast forward to today and I'm still not ready for one (long story, but it'll come) AND it's pretty hard to find an 80-86 anything in my local JY, much less one with any sort of desirable parts. I have a bed, cab, doors, fenders, hood, basically an entire replacement body, all in my brother's garage + back yard.

But life got in the way and that project lost priority for several years.

But I just this past Fall spent ~$5k to have a local heavy-truck mechanic basically rebuild the front D50 axle & suspension for me; I finally figured the only way that stuff is going to happen is if I farm out the job to somebody else, I simply have tooooo many projects and too much other stuff going on to do it myself.

From a financial standpoint, it probably made more sense to simply remove the rebuilt engine and give the rest of the carcass to the local JY and then go buy something that didn't need so much work. But when rebuilding these things, the dollar cost isn't so important, it's more of "what do I want."

My truck needs tires before I'll drive it in the winter but I have to say, since the suspension & axle have been rebuilt, it's now REAL NICE to be able to drive over manhole covers and not be kicked into the adjacent lane! The thing finally handles & brakes & runs like it should (but the body is a rusted POS).

So, that project will be coming up again!

After I finish my brother's blowed-up Taurus SHO... which I'll resume after I get my garage usable again.

~~

Sorry for the off-topic babbling.

Reps given, thread stuck, I'm leaving the garage thread until I can use some of those pictures elsewhere (Gary's site).

Thanks, Ken!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
On the diagram above, it appears that the upper tube of the Grille Guard is fairly high, at the top of the grille and the lower tube is just above the bumper. This matches the line of the brush guard as it crosses at the top of the headlight. They may also be able to lower the height slightly for those interested in just a grille guard.

It's been a while since Sterling manufactured these for our trucks, so we don't have any photos available yet. Here are some other pics of their work though, to show the quality.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
These are NOT what are talking about, but interestingly that have tube bumpers for our Bullnoses too - this one has a hoop and winch mount.

Again this is not the Grille / Brush guard we are speaking about in this thread.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
Confused about the "third tube" since the "middle" tube would be just above the top of the bumper. Would that look funny with the lowest "third tube" below the bumper line?

I'm with you Reamer, not a big fan of the third tube look - I think it just looks more bulky on the truck. The two tube look is... classic imo

Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Appreciate the Sticky Ctubutis!

Agree, I remember seeing these new and used, and suddenly - hard to get. I'm hoping that as our trucks come back into more favor, and restorers start to show the love we'll get more options.

If need be and we all want a "shorty" or J-hook version like the one on my truck I can work with these guys and send a tracing - I got the sense that they'd be willing to build it for us too.

And like you said, sometimes it's a matter of getting it the way you want it. I'd love to have the truck's handling back to factory, will get there someday maybe. A little at a time...

Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Yeah! Eye candy is good for helping people decide. The more you can give us, the more inclined people will be to pursue it.

~~

Ya know, when I first got my truck (2005) there were lots of these things in the junkyards, so I figured I'd get one from there "sometime."

Fast forward to today and I'm still not ready for one (long story, but it'll come) AND it's pretty hard to find an 80-86 anything in my local JY, much less one with any sort of desirable parts. I have a bed, cab, doors, fenders, hood, basically an entire replacement body, all in my brother's garage + back yard.

But life got in the way and that project lost priority for several years.

But I just this past Fall spent ~$5k to have a local heavy-truck mechanic basically rebuild the front D50 axle & suspension for me; I finally figured the only way that stuff is going to happen is if I farm out the job to somebody else, I simply have tooooo many projects and too much other stuff going on to do it myself.

From a financial standpoint, it probably made more sense to simply remove the rebuilt engine and give the rest of the carcass to the local JY and then go buy something that didn't need so much work. But when rebuilding these things, the dollar cost isn't so important, it's more of "what do I want."

My truck needs tires before I'll drive it in the winter but I have to say, since the suspension & axle have been rebuilt, it's now REAL NICE to be able to drive over manhole covers and not be kicked into the adjacent lane! The thing finally handles & brakes & runs like it should (but the body is a rusted POS).

So, that project will be coming up again!

After I finish my brother's blowed-up Taurus SHO... which I'll resume after I get my garage usable again.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
To give everyone an idea of what Reamer and I were talking about - here is the brush guard on my truck with two tubes.

The drawing from Sterling shows that their Grille guard that is very similar - One difference being that it is slightly taller, with the top tube sitting right at about the top of the grille.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Olds64
Posting Guru
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for finding a supplier that can provide these hard to find parts. Reps given.

Those prices are pretty decent too. I paid $150 for a used brush guard for my Bullnose and it needs to be blastsed and refinished before I install it. It's similar to the Traditional Model pictured in your 2nd post.

When I found my brush guard I saw another one in a salvage yard in Dallas, TX that was a newer "Ranch Hand" style brush guard. The guy wanted $450 for it! Plus, it needed to be refinished too.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
More examples

I agree! Prices are solid.

Wade got back today with some additional pictures from the archives. They are willing to modify the guards to spec. For instance, here is a bar showing a lower receiver hitch, and another with a winch mount.

I know they're both on Chevys but try to look past that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grille and Brush Guards available for our Trucks

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.