Hood hinges What have i done wrong - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hood hinges What have i done wrong

Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Pladsmand
Junior User
Pladsmand is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hood hinges What have i done wrong

Frist the hood will not stay in upright position and I have to push the hood down on the rear end when i have closed it. Then
i turned the spring 1/2 turn, now the hood will stay upright but now i nearly can't push the hood down at the rear end

Old 02-12-2018, 05:09 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Are these original to the truck, used, NOS, Repops?

How did your hood close before?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
There has been some discussion on this topic.
I recall that lubrication on the pivot point that is hidden is important.
Could you also have possibly twisted the pivot points? Not sure if that is possible though.
These hoods have a reputation on not going down in back.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Found a couple.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...djustment.html

This is the one that discusses the hidden pivot point.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...od-hinges.html

I thought I saw pictures before. This thread shows the pivot points.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...justments.html

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM
lfed
Junior User
lfed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lfed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Are these original to the truck, used, NOS, Repops?

How did your hood close before?
I would take the hinges apart and make sure all the moving part are moving freely and then lube them up put the springs back where they were. with everything moving freely you should be able to figure out if the springs are weak or you just need proper alignment of the hinges. just my two cents.

Lloyd

Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Iím pretty sure when aligning your sheet metal you START with the hood. Maybe it would be easier to get your hood working well and then add your fenders.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM
df85732
Secret Agent
df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 View Post
Iím pretty sure when aligning your sheet metal you START with the hood. Maybe it would be easier to get your hood working well and then add your fenders.
That's a good idea BJ! Less chance of scratching my newly painted fenders when I get to that point. Plus, much easier to reach the spring mounting bolts. Thanks for the tip. Reps coming your way!

Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Here is a thread on front end alignment procedures.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9927171

Here is one of the bullet points in the post:
First look in my "extras gallery" for the hinge pictures, remove the springs and be sure the hidden hinge pivot shown is not frozen and working freely. Even new hinges can have this pivot tight or paint frozen, and if tight the hood will never close properly!

Old 02-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Pladsmand
Junior User
Is the hingde collected rigth

Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Pladsmand
Junior User
I still have problems whit the hood some one who have used hinges like i have posted a pictures will some one like this solve my problems and they are really expensive