6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What is normal brake wear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
ImSoAmish
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is normal brake wear?

I have 46,000 miles on my 2016 Super duty F350, Powerstroke 6.7L, single rear. Most of my hauling is with 4 passengers and a load in the bed of about 3-400 lbs. Once or twice a month I may have to pull a trailer loaded up with as much as 9,000 lbs. I always use the electric trailer brakes with TOW function engaged. The trailer brakes are new and I usually make sure that the truck is not performing more than its share of braking.

I have noticed, even when I am not towing, that the front brakes are much hotter (~ 300F) than the rear brakes (~125F). This is without load in the bed or a trailer behind.

Two weeks ago I looked at the brake liners while rotating my tires. The front liners are down to 1/8" and the rear liners are close to 3/8".

Is this normal?

My 2006 super duty did not do this.

I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the combination valve or something else. Both front brakes have identical wear.

I have extended warranty coverage and am hoping that this can be remedied in that plan. Booster, combination valve and calipers are covered in that warranty.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
With a lot of towing 8000 to 12000 pounds and with a fair amount of driving in the mountains my 2011 needed brakes at 100,000 miles. My 2016 only has 23000 miles on it so I don’t know how it will be on brakes. Unless you have a lot of stop and go driving 46000 miles does not seem normal for brake wear.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:28 PM
ImSoAmish
Junior User
Originally Posted by CascadeF250
With a lot of towing 8000 to 12000 pounds and with a fair amount of driving in the mountains my 2011 needed brakes at 100,000 miles. My 2016 only has 23000 miles on it so I don’t know how it will be on brakes. Unless you have a lot of stop and go driving 46000 miles does not seem normal for brake wear.
I agree. This is not normal in my opinion but I am wondering if others here are experiencing this abnormal wear. I'd like to drop the truck off at the dealership tomorrow but upon first discussion with them, the service rep. is saying that this is normal wear and I don't think that it is normal.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Normal brake wear falls into the same category as normal fuel economy. They are both totally dependent on driving style, terrain, and the type of travel. If pad wear is balanced side to side, there is probably no warrantyable claim. I’d say it’s normal for the fronts to wear at least as twice as fast as the rears.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
^^^ +1 to what Dave said. Fronts do most of the braking so they wear faster. This is true on almost any vehicle, not just trucks that tow.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
As the two eluded to above, take a look at the inside pads on the front and see if they match the outside pads. If even, then they are wearing evenly. No disrespect intended, but you see a lot more front pad wear with drivers that use both feet to drive(automatics). Also as they said, the front's wear more than the rears. The only truck that I've ever had that wears them evenly is my Excursion, and it's due to no longer pull anything any longer as I have the two duallies.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:37 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My 05 at app. 60,000 miles were worn pretty even all the way around at app. 50% material still present. It was a mix of empty and towing a 13k 5er in the Eastern sierras. Having the trailer brakes adjusted properly goes a long way for the tow vehicle brakes.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
There are a lot of options on th tow setting. Gain is obvious and there are simple steps to set that properly, but you need to set "effort" correctly and set "electric" versus "electric over hydraulic" too. too. And as others have said, adjust trailer brakes - a big impact.

I have 60k miles on 2015 dually. 20k empty mostly empty 8-hour highway driving. 20k with 8k bumper pull with equalizer hitch and 8-hour highway driving. 20k with 16k 5 5er at max gcwr. That was more like 5 hours on highway.

I just pulled all wheel to grease pins. Pads hardly worn at all.

Originally Posted by ImSoAmish
I have 46,000 miles on my 2016 Super duty F350, Powerstroke 6.7L, single rear. Most of my hauling is with 4 passengers and a load in the bed of about 3-400 lbs. Once or twice a month I may have to pull a trailer loaded up with as much as 9,000 lbs. I always use the electric trailer brakes with TOW function engaged. The trailer brakes are new and I usually make sure that the truck is not performing more than its share of braking.

I have noticed, even when I am not towing, that the front brakes are much hotter (~ 300F) than the rear brakes (~125F). This is without load in the bed or a trailer behind.

Two weeks ago I looked at the brake liners while rotating my tires. The front liners are down to 1/8" and the rear liners are close to 3/8".

Is this normal?

My 2006 super duty did not do this.

I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the combination valve or something else. Both front brakes have identical wear.

I have extended warranty coverage and am hoping that this can be remedied in that plan. Booster, combination valve and calipers are covered in that warranty.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
46,000 miles is what i would consider normal brake wear for your operating conditions. You might want to look into a ceramic style pad next time.

Also, your front brakes are you primary brakes. The rear pads/brakes will many times last through 2 or 3 changes of the front pads.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by golfmedik
As the two eluded to above, take a look at the inside pads on the front and see if they match the outside pads. If even, then they are wearing evenly. No disrespect intended, but you see a lot more front pad wear with drivers that use both feet to drive(automatics). Also as they said, the front's wear more than the rears. The only truck that I've ever had that wears them evenly is my Excursion, and it's due to no longer pull anything any longer as I have the two duallies.
Hey, I eluded nothing. I _might_ have alluded about normal wear patterns.

With respect to pad type, I'm not a fan of ceramic pads. I tried them on my wife's minivan and it was a significant downgrade in performance. My prior truck had ceramic pads and when I replaced them with semi-metallic the performance was soooo much better. Ceramic pads are great for low dust and not fading under heavy braking (like a race track). Otherwise, I'll take semi-metallic.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:43 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Just wanted to say that I've seen several instances where the rear pads wear faster. Including my work truck that's a 2015 F150.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Hey, I eluded nothing. I _might_ have alluded about normal wear patterns.

With respect to pad type, I'm not a fan of ceramic pads. I tried them on my wife's minivan and it was a significant downgrade in performance. My prior truck had ceramic pads and when I replaced them with semi-metallic the performance was soooo much better. Ceramic pads are great for low dust and not fading under heavy braking (like a race track). Otherwise, I'll take semi-metallic.
Interesting, went to ceramics on the wife’s previous Lexus and the performance was greatly improved. Possibly the brand??

Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
ImSoAmish
Junior User
Thanks everyone. I will be performing the brake pad change myself as it appears the consensus is that it would be nothing more than normal wear.
I have a tube of Permatex ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant (purple in color) that was recommended by the local parts store when I I said that I was not getting more than a year on my 2006 truck brakes before the guide pins were seizing.

Any thoughts on this lubricant? It is supposed to be rated to 3,000 deg F.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:55 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by 69cj
Interesting, went to ceramics on the wife’s previous Lexus and the performance was greatly improved. Possibly the brand??
On my truck the OEM ceramic pads were Bosch and the replacement semi-metallic were also Bosch. I'll take great braking and dust over less braking and no dust.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by ImSoAmish
Thanks everyone. I will be performing the brake pad change myself as it appears the consensus is that it would be nothing more than normal wear.
I have a tube of Permatex ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant (purple in color) that was recommended by the local parts store when I I said that I was not getting more than a year on my 2006 truck brakes before the guide pins were seizing.

Any thoughts on this lubricant? It is supposed to be rated to 3,000 deg F.
Any time I remove the calipers I clean and re-grease the slides. I've never had a problem with seized slides and I'm using a basic lubricant made specifically for caliper slides. If the Permatex is handy and not outrageously priced I would go with that.

Quick Reply: What is normal brake wear?