6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Calm Down.....Don’t Let Forscan Give You A Heart Attack!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM
MPawelek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calm Down.....Don’t Let Forscan Give You A Heart Attack!

I am 64 YO and have been driving and working on diesel equipment here on the farm since I was 10 and have never seen so much hand wringing over equipment here on the Internet. In my career on my place and helping out other local farmer neighbors I have run diesel combines, tractors and trucks sometimes 24 hours a day for weeks during plowing/planting season and especially during harvest season. We stop the engines every 10-12 hours for a few minutes to refuel and check the oil, then start up and go until someone shows up for the next shift. These are not all older diesels with no anti pollution add on, many are Tier 4B.
In the past few years on diesel truck and tractor forums I have read constant posts on....
”Am I going to ruin my tractor if I mow for 8 hours straight?”
”Do I need to add a additional oil cooler to my truck?”
”My oil temperature is 10 degrees higher than normal”
”Should I change the oil every 2,000 Miles ? “
”My truck regenerates too often”
”My truck does not regenerate often enough”
Is all this excess concern due to innovations such as Forscan where one gets excess information at their finger tips?
I am meticulous about maintenance on my equipment and have never had a major failure. I Follow the guidelines from the manufacturer and even change oil a bit earlier than recommended, but in the mean time do not worry about situations I cannot control, Life is too short. I was considering getting Forscan to use on my new F-250 but now wonder If I will ruin 54 years of bliss!!! Rant over.....

Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
I used forscan just to activate a few things that I wanted and for the increased ability to diagnose problems. The only time I monitor anything, and it's more out of curiosity than anything, is when I watch the soot levels of the dpf decrease during regen. Also to see the beginning and after values. Other than that I just drive the truck.

I think a lot of the paranoia surrounding monitoring stems from the predictably unpredictable unreliability of the previous generations of diesels with emmisions equipment. So people look at monitoring temps and other parameters as cheap insurance.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 PM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Ignorance is bliss. They put diesels in cars and SUVs too. Same emission and operating equipment as our Super Duties. Do you think car owners are constantly fretting? Probably not. The fretting posts make me laugh. I mean, seriously, if owning a diesel brings you so much grief, maybe something like a Chevy Bolt is more suited to your mental wellbeing.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by C12H24
Ignorance is bliss. They put diesels in cars and SUVs too. Same emission and operating equipment as our Super Duties. Do you think car owners are constantly fretting? Probably not. The fretting posts make me laugh. I mean, seriously, if owning a diesel brings you so much grief, maybe something like a Chevy Bolt is more suited to your mental wellbeing.
Post of the day !

Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
If you think owning an EV is bliss then you've never experienced "Range Anxiety".

Yes, I own both an EV and a 6.7L. I don't yet monitor my 6.7L with Forscan Lite, but I have everything ready to do so. I've done basic tweaks with Forscan. I'm very much into preventive maintenance as well as knowing what to watch out for so I don't get stranded.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm with you bud. Extended warranty on my 2015, regular maintenance and I just drive the damn thing.

But I have fallen into that trap as well. Last trip to the dealer I had them activate my DPF % full on my base cluster. Now I watch it clean and,,,,"why did it only go to 30% and the regen stopped??"

So now I don't even look at it anymore,,,,,,if it breaks,,,,I still have several years and 100,000 miles of warranty left.

If it breaks? Well, AAA is 200 miles of towing. I am waaaaayy more worried about the next governor here in Commi-fornia.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now there are even Diesel engines for Private Planes
Continental Diesel - Engine