6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2016 6.7 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Lar man
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 6.7 blown motor

Hello
30 days ago was on hwy doing 100 km/hr and engine shut down and heard quite the grinding noise. Was 6 hr drive and 2 hour ferry ride from home on a road trip. There was quite the oil trail. Had towed to small town local Ford dealer on a long weekend. The frustrations begin. The did say they were two weeks booked ahead and will try to squeeze me in for a look after the weekend. After two weeks they finally took the cab off and pulled the motor. They had to do a price cap analysis before they would authorize a rental. 66000 km on motor and it spun a bearing and Rod went thru block. Get a rental Hyundai but still not reimbursed for initial rentals. Week three. Short block delivered but found out inner part of oil pan dented and needed to be replaced...... ......The oil pan should have been removed during price cap teardown???? Kinda need that off to check for fragments etc and to get to diagnosis?? And with a hole in block i have concerns with fragments throughout and there only doing a short block?? Told truck would be ready in 4 days.....
week 4 current status.....a part of the seal/gaskets sets ordered did not arrive with motor the week before??? And there is none available anywhere in Canada or USA shipping warehouse???? The most popular super duty in North America and no parts?

after spending over a thousand dollars in extra van / truck rentals as I'm a contractor as it' hard to fit equipment and lumber etc into a Hyundai. Ford dealer and Ford Canada refused to up me into a truck rental. I bought a 65000 dollar truck that I Must have for work and Ford and Ford Canada... neither steps up to the plate. The parts I'm told may not even be available until end of April. I am blown away at this scenario. I'e been a Ford man my whole life, 2- 6 litres and 3 -f150's. The first time I go new and this happens. The dealer tells me one
thing and sends me to customer care and they tell me different. I could go on alot more but that' the skinny of it. Very frustrated with Ford. I' a working man that needs a reliable strong truck and I'm losing my shirt without it. Very disappointed.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Wow.....

I'm at a loss for words reading this. I too, am the current owner of a 2016 Ford F-250 6.7L 4x4 XLT Crew Cab Short Box, now at 72,000 kms. I am also the former owner of a 2007 Ford F-250 6.0L of the same configuration and trim level as my current truck. My previous 6.0L truck gave me virtually no problems at all. None of the usual EGR cooler, head gaskets, oil cooler and FICM blah blah blah type headaches. In fact, I bought it used back in 2011 with 114,000 kms. on the clock. During my four years of ownership I replaced ONE injector, word of no lie. It wasn't until July of 2015 with 220,000 kms. on it that I very reluctantly unloaded it to get into my current truck, which I'm very happy with so far. If it matters, I am a Ford dealership technician who drives and uses mine as a "car". I don't tow or haul anything with my truck. My oil changes have been done every 5000 kms. which is overkill I know. But my theory has always been fluids are cheaper than repairs. But as a dealership technician, I can tell you first hand that I can literally count the number of digits on both of my hands the number of times I have ever had to get into a 6.7L during the eight model years this engine has been in production for the Ford Super Duty lineup. As for the 6.0L and 6.4L piece of garbage? Well, the 6.0L was pricey to repair but if kept on top of, could be kept. The 6.4L? Well, if you thought the 6.0L was expensive to keep, think again. The 6.4L was way worse, if that was even possible. I sure did replace my share of 6.4L long blocks, and even then that wasn't the end of the problems! But back on topic, if you don't mind sharing, what are the first three digits of the last eight of the VIN (GEA, GEB or GEC etc.)? As this is the very first 6.7L engine blown up I've read of that is this new, I am curious as to the build date of yours. If it matters, mine was ordered on July 9th, 2015 and built on August 11th, 2015.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Lar man
Freshman User
Hi there
I did see a couple posts of blown 6.7
might have been on a different site though. I just Googled blown 6.7 diesel. I glad to hear that you being a tech and havent seen such an issue. Makes me feel a bit better when I get it back. I just hope that there are no future problems being that there only doing a short block. Time will tell. I have had two 6.o previously. Both I loved as they were bullet proofed and I took care of them however the kill switch and "THE CLUB" didn' stop the person who needed it for their extra curicular acitivies on the second one and was a write off when the police found it. Which brought me into a new 6.7. As I didn' want to go thru the 6 ltr issues again.

gea . First three of last 8.

cheers

Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I guess the reason they didn't remove the oil pan is because when they removed the heads they found the hole in the block and didn't go any further. I do feel for you because this crap shouldn't happen. Parts should be available since the motor is still in production. Hope Ford steps up and pays for your rental.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:43 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 977 Likes on 752 Posts
there frequency of these types of reports seem to be increasing....both the spun bearings on the 6.7 as well as your reports of OEM not stepping up to the plate.

the more I read these types of reports, the more I am convinced I should not take my f-450 on a road trip...bu instead..should just rent a truck so that the rental company can bring me another one if the first rental goes out of services.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry you are having little support from Ford.. and also on the road..

Ford, Diesel, Extended Warranty... beginning to look better to get the Extended Warranty

other brands are doing the same thing..

Old 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
Funny you mention a rental. Had that thought before I did that road trip. Not to mention cheaper on gas and no miles on my vehicle. One of the things I've noticed since having a newer 6.7 is the dealers are slam packed booked. Shortage of techs apparently. A few months back a code came up then the dash said the truck will limit my speed in x amount of kms. I called Ford to get in and ALL in my area were booked for 2 1/2 -3 weeks and didn't care that my new truck would be virtualy undrivable soon. Then the next day I started the truck and no code and no messages. Happy but when' it gonna happen again? One good thing about this situation is I found this site, looks really helpful and informative. What to look out for and good cross referencing etc. Grateful for that. Another thing I've learned is different dealers go the extra mile than others. I know the grass isn' always greener on the other side but some dealers only have one diesel tech like the one I'm stuck at and when I talk to another dealer about my situation they say they would do things different. It' All here say but makes me double think where my trucks gonna go. At the end of the day am I gonna still be a Ford man..... Yes. It' just the way it is.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
Update

Ford finally approved a truck rental (nissan frontier so kinda a truck , all the rental place had)and Ford Canada customer service is looking into the parts to get to the dealer.
30 days in the shop and still looking like another 30 but at least some progress.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume you're in Canada given the kilometres reference. Without naming the dealers, what city are you in/near?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Lar man
Freshman User
Live in Vancouver bc

Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Sorry for your troubles Lar man. I doubt I'll be visiting any dealers around you in the foreseeable future. I hope everything gets straightened out and it doesn't cost you a fortune or your nerves.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:33 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
the more I read these types of reports, the more I am convinced I should not take my f-450 on a road trip...bu instead..should just rent a truck so that the rental company can bring me another one if the first rental goes out of services.
Then why bother owning the truck in the first place?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Lar man
Freshman User
Update

So Ford Canada customer service finally involved. They opted for a complete long block drop in engine to be shipped and not have to wait on the seal kits. ........ that they have no idea when would be available. Was all excited about a complete long block drop in engine.
HOWEVER ........ nothing available according to them anywhere in Canada or USA. Back to square one. Would update me in 2 weeks on status.

so.... truck now 33 days at Ford. Another 2 weeks for an update. Looking like going to be in the shop for at least 60 days. If they find a complete engine or parts. Wow...........
the Ford Canada customer service man said there has been a number of 6.7 2016 issues. Hence the engine/parts shortage.
still finding this all hard to believe

Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Your situation is not good. At least it sounds like the Customer Service fella is on your side and working on your behalf. Your last comment on a number of 6.7 issues for 2016 model year ... might want to share that with the bros & sistas in the 6.7 forum.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Lar man
Freshman User
Parts

I don' know the protocol on on parts, warehousing and all that but I was thinking ..... If they are making hundreds of super duty trucks every day and thousands every year, they obviously have all the parts to make them. How can Ford tell the dealers and customers there are no parts available?
I asked the customer service manager at the Ford Canada call centre why they can' just request from the factory to ship the parts from There? His exact words were .... I don' have an answer for that. Just because a computer says there' nothing in warehouses or dealerships and they have to wait for a computer to say there is stock? They left me sitting with...... I 'l update you in two weeks.

Quick Reply: 2016 6.7 blown motor