2 different hood air deflectors who knew? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

2 different hood air deflectors who knew?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:48 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
2 different hood air deflectors who knew?

I swear, I learn something new every day here on FTF. While I was researching the best way to install my new/ old radiator shroud, I read an old thread about there being a hood air deflector for a 6 cylinder, and one of a V8 and they were different, heck I thought it was just a brace duh. Well of course mine was for a 6 which left a 8" gap between it and the radiator, not good, I just got the shroud installed so mite as well correct this new discovery. I quick look at Dennis Carpenters web site and what do ya know. They carry repop v8 deflectors for my year along with the seals ,so it was a no brainer(good thing cause I'm I little short on brains, LOL). While I was at it I also got both rear cab corners, Mine had a few pin holes witch I just cleaned and filled when I did my metal work, plus some lower cowl patches with the same problem. I may or may not ever get around to installing the patches, but at least they will be with all the spare stuff for the next caretaker of the truck when it outlives me. The deflector is 3 bolts and a little sealant, so next good day I have I het that corrected. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2018, 07:26 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Jim,
I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Yea, there are several differences between the 6cyl and the V8's on those underhood components.

Bobby

Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 PM
burnettd01
Elder User
burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Air deflector

Jimmy
Hang on to the 6 cylinder deflector as no one makes replacements.

Those of us that moved the radiator up to the 6 cylinder position for added clearance in our v8 install will need the 6 cylinder deflector.

I was lucky enough to score one here on FTE from another member.

Others may be looking for one.

You, Roy, and I need to get together in the next few months for breakfast or lunch. It's been too long.

Take care

Dan

Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 PM
ktgovols
Senior User
ktgovols is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6 Cylinder hood deflector has an H stamped in it. And you are correct, they are not reproduced.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:42 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
I just checked and the old one does have an H stamped on it. If someone is in need of one, just let me know, and its free to a good home. PS Dan, I'm with you guys about meeting for lunch. Once I can see a little better it will be a good test to know if I still get those darn migraines after driving more than a few miles. I'm aching for a drive further than the post office.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 AM
1949f1
Elder User
1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have been wondering about this for my 49. It had a v8 239 in it and it now has a 289 and I moved the radiator to the six cylinder location so I need one for my truck. But will they seal over the champion radiator? I would be interested in it.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 AM
F1 coyote
Senior User
F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.F1 coyote has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim View Post
I just checked and the old one does have an H stamped on it. If someone is in need of one, just let me know, and its free to a good home. PS Dan, I'm with you guys about meeting for lunch. Once I can see a little better it will be a good test to know if I still get those darn migraines after driving more than a few miles. I'm aching for a drive further than the post office.
Hi there Jim, I could use that deflector if you're serious about parting with it. I'm still pretty new to the site and not sure how to reach people privately, but if you can reach me somehow privately I would like to work out getting your deflector.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
F-100 coyote, just tap their name ( in blue) and a drop down menu shows up. One option it to PM the person.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 AM
1949f1
Elder User
1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.1949f1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
I have been wondering about this for my 49. It had a v8 239 in it and it now has a 289 and I moved the radiator to the six cylinder location so I need one for my truck. But will they seal over the champion radiator? I would be interested in it.
I sent you a PM Jim. Thanks Tracy

Old 02-12-2018, 11:54 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
There are two requests for the deflector, Tracy was the 1st to ask so its only fair to give him first shot, if it turns out that he cant use it, Coyote will have next shot. Its free and I will pay postage. I will answer the two PM's this afternoon, as I have some errands to run this am.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 PM
rusty48
Senior User
rusty48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to hijack this thread and on a related topic. I had a question on part 16833. The brace. There was not one on my truck with the 6. Figured maybe removed in the last 70 years but went and look for mounting holes and there was none?? Went to look in the back at my 48 with an 8 and it has one?? This brace seems like it would support the nose of the hood as mine had some minor flex/stress damage on both sides which ive since repaired but just curious now what the deal is??

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rusty48 View Post
Not to hijack this thread and on a related topic. I had a question on part 16833. The brace. There was not one on my truck with the 6. Figured maybe removed in the last 70 years but went and look for mounting holes and there was none?? Went to look in the back at my 48 with an 8 and it has one?? This brace seems like it would support the nose of the hood as mine had some minor flex/stress damage on both sides which ive since repaired but just curious now what the deal is??
The sole purpose of the air deflector is to stop air from going over the top of the radiator. It offers no structural support. If you do not have the deflector and are not having any problems with overheating, then you really don't need it. Also, if you are running a non-stock radiator it is unlikely to provide any cooling benefit and it will not fit down close to the radiator and seal off the top as it was designed to. I had both a 48 and a 49 truck both with non-stock radiators. I modified the air deflector on the first truck to prevent it from interfering with the radiator (from a Dodge truck) but left it off the second truck with an aluminum Champion radiator. Both trucks ran cool.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 AM
1949f1
Elder User
I compared my champion aluminum radiator with the stock and they measure the same so when I get the one from Jim I will offer the stock V8 one to some body else who needs one if the radiator stays in the V8 location and not moved to the 6 cylinder location. Kind off returning the favor