Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Auxiliary fuel tank combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 PM
krobbins
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxiliary fuel tank combo

I found a 51 gallon gravity feed tool box combo unit locally used for $350, is this a good idea? My truck had a unit before I purchased it, but previous owner removed it.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:50 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have one on mine.....If you Haul anything with it, it's always a good idea.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I installed a 45 gallon pump fed tank in the bed of my truck. I can drive to NE from GA without stopping for fuel...

Having the trailer in town and 75 gallons of fuel on board means I can stop when I want instead of when I have to. One of my favorite things to do is fill up the truck while rolling down the interstate at 65 MPH.

Condition of the tank plays a big roll in the price.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:52 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
go for it. was in a big hurry and dropped the money for weatherguard toolbox. It has been great, but really wish I would have gotten the toolbox/tank combo.

was trying to sell it to get a tank combo, but no one offered anywhere close to what I paid for it.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 PM
krobbins
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I will get it Tuesday.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
"they" never do. (offer anywhere close to what you paid) also looking for a deal, sorta like cars/trucks. Buy one new drive it off the lot and try to sell.. expect 15%less than what you paid more or less..

having a nice size aux tank is a good thing when traveling like sarge (sous) was saying.. fill up on the go

Originally Posted by empiretc
go for it. was in a big hurry and dropped the money for weatherguard toolbox. It has been great, but really wish I would have gotten the toolbox/tank combo.

was trying to sell it to get a tank combo, but no one offered anywhere close to what I paid for it.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
yep, that is for sure.

Don't really drive a lot anymore so it is not a necessity. Wanted it for more of a convenience thing. Have a 300 gallon tank setup at my dad's house, so usually just go visit pops and fill up.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 41 gallon. Like others have said, when pulling the fifth wheel it is nice to fill when you want to at a truck stop & not have to fill in a small town at rush hour. Averaging 10 mpg I can go about 650 miles between fill ups. Mine just has a manual valve set up. I usually wait till my gauge on the truck gets to about 1/2 then open the ball valve. It gravity fills going down the road. Within an hour or so my main tank will be full. Love it.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
I have a 60 gallon RDS tank/tool box combo. I've had it in two trucks now. Like others have said, its nice to be able to fill up when and where you want. I installed a pump and can control when I transfer fuel from a switch in the cab.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:02 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
that nice,, see the ole man and get some gas.. priceless..

years ago, I was in just out of HS and married, and my dad owned a mobile home park and i lived there as well. One of the "ole timers" that had been living their for some years drove a fuel tanker, 18 wheeler, and we had a gas tank in ground for the lawn care equipment. The tanker was parked in the same area and about every day or so he would drop a hose in the gas tank and just drain off what he had left from all the tanks.

It would be a combo of premium, which back then was 110, all the way down to reg. I would take my car over that and fill up as needed.. it was nice. miss that and my dad.

When we head on the road fulltime in a couple years I will have a 30ish gal aux tank for the same reason sarge listed. fill when you find cheap diesel and go go go ..

I have a chart that show tax from state and it is eye opening for sure.

this especially true in south west are , AZ is .37 CA is .71 BIG difference.

Originally Posted by empiretc
yep, that is for sure.

Don't really drive a lot anymore so it is not a necessity. Wanted it for more of a convenience thing. Have a 300 gallon tank setup at my dad's house, so usually just go visit pops and fill up.

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
akcooper9 inspired me to post some pictures of my setup. All of these are from when I was installing it, so pay no attention to the random hoses or pieces laying around.

I installed an ATTA 45RBR with a fill port custom located so that I could still have a roll up cover on the the bed. Works great as the 45RBR sits below the bed rails staying out of the way of the 5th wheel and the cover.

I have a momentary switch in the cab to activate the pump, which I usually do when the OEM fuel gauge gets to about 1/2 tank. I used to give some friends of mine a hard time and say that stopping for fuel every 300 miles is for amateurs...

The momentary switch puts about 1/4 tank in the OEM tank per 5 minutes. I put the switch in my center console under the arm rest cover so it is comfortable to just push it and hold on for a few moments. The switch is wired into an ignition source wire, so the truck must be in the ON position.

Another bit of advice, get yourself a Pilot/Flying J RV plus card. They are free and allow you to use the commercial truck lanes at Pilot and RV stops. Having access to the commercial truck lanes makes life so much better when traveling. Although, you will have to enlarge the fill port on your OEM tank, which is easy to do as well. Nothing like filling 30 gallons of fuel in a moments times with a commercial pump.

Thread - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ne-almost.html

Auxiliary tank gauge and switch for pump.

Pump located behind the driver under the bed.

Auxiliary tank sending unit

Old 02-12-2018, 08:28 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I also run an auxiliary tank in the bed and feel it was money well spent. Mine just gravity feeds the oem tank. Used a kit from northern tool.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by akcooper9

Question on the factory filler neck. What position is the smaller vent line at? I always assumed somewhere between 9 and 3 oclock and am wondering if mine is wrong and part of why mine is a pain to fill.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooper & Sous - Those are some nice set ups u got there.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Bill, thank you sir! It was a fairly hard decision for us because the ATTA tanks are not cheap. My wife and I were new to diesels and travel trailer campers, so buying a "package deal" of a tank, pump, wiring and hardware required was a good idea of us.

ATTA really does make a great tank and their support was even better. I called and spoke to them several times and because each tank is made to order, you can have just about anything you want done up quickly. you can even have a custom tank made at very little additional cost based on the size. They shipped it freight and I picked it up at a freight yard in a couple of days.

It really is a nice thing to have 75+ gallons of fuel on board. We have traveled with the truck and trailer cross country (GA to Seattle and back, GA to WI and back, etc) and having a range of nearly 900 miles WITH the 5th wheel attached is incredibly nice. Nearly 1400 mile range unloaded, that is great to have in your pocket.

When we drove up to WI to purchase our new to us 5th wheel (850 miles), we didn't even stop for fuel except one time and that was on the return trip home.

Being able to stop when and where you want instead of when you have to in order to continue is very liberating and easy on the mind when traveling. If anyone is on the fence about installing an auxiliary tank, do it. You will NOT regret it at all.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary fuel tank combo