What fuel filter(s) for fuel injection? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

What fuel filter(s) for fuel injection?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 AM
Senior User

FORD~ is starting off with a positive reputation.
What fuel filter(s) for fuel injection?

I'm assembling all the things I need to install a FiTech (#30004). I'll be running an in tank pump (Tanks Inc PA-6, pwm controlled) so that will cover the fuel requirements more than enough.

Only now i am wondering what people do for filters. I ordered a nifty little Russell one, #650133, which filters down to 40 microns. But since then I have read a few things that indicate you should aim for 10 micron minimum on the pressure side.

I was curious what filters are you fellas using in your FI systems?

I started thinking maybe I should run a Perma Cool 81000 instead, which would get me down to 2 microns, plus also separate water out of the crap gas we have here.

--As an FYI, my maximum flow requirements are not huge, ~43 gph.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 AM
Posting Guru

Blue and White is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I run 10 microns on my FI hot rod. I think that is pretty standard.

The in tank setup probably has a coarse filter or sock in front of the pump.

I think 2 microns would risk plugging up fast. If you do want to go that fine, best to get there in stages. 10 microns then 2 microns.

As far water... if your local gas has ethanol blend any water will not separate... it will just combine with the ethanol.

Another suggestion is get at least a couple filter elements to start. A new system, even all brand new, may have a little debris hidden in it. After you get the truck running and put a few miles on, go ahead and change the filter. Lesson learned for me.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Senior User

Great suggestions on the “go in stages” advice. That makes and I wouldn’t have thought of it.

edit: I saw this demonstration on how fast ethanol collects water. I had no idea:

Granted this simulates a lot of air exposure, but there will still be air exposure in a vented tank. Are you saying a fuel water separator wouldn’t be able to help clean this condition up?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Posting Guru

Blue and White is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
With alcohol mixed gas, I don't think a water separator will do anything under close to normal conditions. The alcohol will just soak up any water.

If the alcohol gets saturated and water separates that is really bad. Saturated alcohol does nasty things when it burns inside an engine.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Senior User

Wish there were more ethanol free stations around. In any case thanks again for your input. I’ll likely use a spin on filter outside the engine compartment and it will be easy to step down to a finer filter after the system is up and running for a while.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Posting Guru

hivoltj is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am running the corvette filter/regulator which regulates fuel pressure to 58psi and only has a single line from it to the Fitech. It is very fine though, 5 micron IIRC, and I have had it plug up once with a dirty tank of fuel on a road trip
Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 AM
Senior User

I like the idea of the single line to the TB. And since the return doesn't go through the fuel rail like most return setups, I bet the fuel in your tank stays significantly cooler. How hard is it to service the LS filter? Do you keep a spare in your truck?

I've pretty much set my sights on running a spin on filter. Once the system settles in I will use the FST RF500 which filters down to 4 microns and flows up to 300gph, not bad for a $22 filter (even if it can't squeeze the water out of ethanol). Keeping a spare or two handy will be no problem and if I do get sidelined from bad gas I can switch it out with minimum fuss along the roadside or the like.

Thanks for everyone's input. As usual I definitely learned something.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:46 PM
Posting Guru

Behemoth has a great reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a great reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a great reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a great reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a great reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a great reputation on FTE.
As it pertains to the filter question, I went with the Aeromotive in-line 10 micron filter setup. You can change out the element quite easily, and the body of the filter can be set to use hose nipples, or AN fittings, depending on your needs.
With regard to in-tank, i’ve got the Aeromotive Phantom 340 pump setup, which does have a filter sock at the base of the pump. What helps it with regard to fuel starvation during rough road handling, is that you set the pump in a rubber ‘bucket’ of sorts that has 4 small holes at the bottom to equalize fuel level..... the trick, is that you have to use this big sponge-like tube to set in the bottom of the bucket from the top of the tank. The ‘sponge’ catches any splashing fuel, and drops it down into the bucket where the pump is..... that way, your pump always has fuel surrounding its intake. It was a bit of a pain to install, but it looked like it would work to me. The setup isn’t cheap, but nothing else on Buford was, and I guess I felt the fuel system should be no different.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 PM
Elder User

Justin Jones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD~ View Post
I like the idea of the single line to the TB. And since the return doesn't go through the fuel rail like most return setups, I bet the fuel in your tank stays significantly cooler. How hard is it to service the LS filter? Do you keep a spare in your truck?

I've pretty much set my sights on running a spin on filter. Once the system settles in I will use the FST RF500 which filters down to 4 microns and flows up to 300gph, not bad for a $22 filter (even if it can't squeeze the water out of ethanol). Keeping a spare or two handy will be no problem and if I do get sidelined from bad gas I can switch it out with minimum fuss along the roadside or the like.

Thanks for everyone's input. As usual I definitely learned something.
That RF500 seems like an impressive filter. It does say water separator in a couple of the listings. Anyway, I was trying to figure out a way to use a common parts store filter that maybe fit an LS like the one you mentioned. Tanks also has another filter that looks like it would be set up for quick disconnect but I don't know if Tanks is the only place it can be bought. I would like to find a quick disconnect filter I could get from a parts store just for the sake of simplicity.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:28 AM
Senior User

Circle track (and a bunch of other racers) use these filters. They are indeed fuel filters but also separate water. You can buy them with a fancy mount and that’s probably the best way to get maximum performance out of them. I’m just using a standard remote filter base I already owned.

https://102tube.com/video/TxLlTCevYr...ast-facts.html
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Posting Guru

Tanks inc vette filter is quick connect and would be easy to roadside swap with the proper tool and a truck not as low as mine. My generic disconnect tools don't seem to fit it properly
Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Senior User

EQCMCAT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Out of curiosity could a Ford OEM in line fuel filter say from a 1992-96 F-Series P-U Truck be used?
This next portion I'm going to write about might be too much information. At any rate, the reason I'm inquiring, TB, especially FITECH has peaked my interest, but because I'm located in California and my Rig being a 1977, I cannot change from a carburetor to TB without an after market Throttle Body manufacture having a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO) number for their product, i.e., I cannot change the original configuration. So I have corresponded with my California State representative indicating the dilemma. I explained within my correspondence the fact that TB fuel injection enables cleaner burning, omitting less pollutants and provides improved MPG. I've recently been contacted by a State Staff person and have signed a form authorizing her office to investigate the matter. So I'm at a wait and see juncture, but do hope for a favorable ruling on not only my behalf, but for others in a similar situation.

Getting back to TB and again I'm really hoping for a favorable ruling on the matter. If something earth shattering does change in California, I will convert over to FITECH TB. But I'm thinking and hoping I can use OEM Ford components from a 1992-96 F-150 especially since my local junk yard continues to have several to chose from. I would pull the aft gas tank, fuel lines, charcoal canister and any other components needed.

I do have a compelling question especially with FITECH TB, can the OEM air cleaner be used? If not, what set up works?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Elder User

Justin Jones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQCMCAT View Post
Out of curiosity could a Ford OEM in line fuel filter say from a 1992-96 F-Series P-U Truck be used?
But I'm thinking and hoping I can use OEM Ford components from a 1992-96 F-150 especially since my local junk yard continues to have several to chose from. I would pull the aft gas tank, fuel lines, charcoal canister and any other components needed.

That's along my same thinking. I don't really have a problem in using a Corvette filter as long as I could get it from a parts store in a pinch. The thing about those trucks is I 'think' they have a 5/16 fuel line and I would like to run a 3/8 line. That may be no problem for you though.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Posting Guru

Sorry friend, you might consider moving to America, it's nice and free over here. I wouldn't hold your breath, your legislature seems to only care about making things easier on career criminals.