Any decent how-to's for installing the cab - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Any decent how-to's for installing the cab

Old 02-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Senior User

jerry_s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any decent how-to's for installing the cab

Tomorrow I'd like to tackle the job of installing the cab on my chassis but I can't find any decent diagrams or how-to's on how to do this.

I'm positive I have all the parts I need, I just don't know where they all go and I don't want to waste a lot of time experimenting (I really don't want to risk damaging the cab...or parts, but they're easier to replace than fixing the cab).

This one doesn't look too bad for the rear most mounts, but has nothing on the front mounts:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/insta...-f-100-pickup/

This is the cab mount I have:

http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=...rms-and-plates
Old 02-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Senior User

I think I'm actually starting to answer my own question:

1953-56 Ford F-100 Cab Mounting Kit, Rubber Pieces Only - BAAA-5400-S
Old 02-10-2018, 11:17 PM
Senior User

So one additional question then - should I remove the doors if I plan on using this lift/method

I realize in the pic they did not, but I want to make sure it won't damage the doors/mounts if I leave them on
Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
My personal opinion is it’s easier with the doors removed.

First, the cab is lighter.

Second, I would rather the lifting rig be against the top of the cab doorframe than the actual top of the door. It is much stronger.

Third, I put the front mount bolts in first. It is more difficult with the doors on. With the rig lifting on the doors you can’t open them to check the front mount alignment, or install the bolts. (Technically, I guess you can reach up through the battery and steering holes, but through the doors is way easier)

Another thing I seem to always tell people wrong; you want the “dog bones” hanging from the cab with the bolts loose. When the cab is in place you can then push them up into the frame mounts. If they are on the frame first they cannot swing up into the pockets in the bottom of the cab.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:19 AM
Senior User

Thanks!

The fourth point is a great one - I was likely going to start the opposite way but I can see that being a huge pain!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Senior User

Greg Rogers has a very good reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a very good reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a very good reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pleases take pics when you do it and show us! Thanks, Greg.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Postmaster

jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
jerry

you can also suspend the cab from chains attached to the front cab mounts or braces in the kick panel area and rear seat bolt holes.. a little more stable that way and the cab isn't so high in the air
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Elder User

artscott61 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hi Jack tread John what is the mail slot for on the rear of your cab? Third brake like?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Postmaster

bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
2X Johns cab install method. I’ve heard of folks bending their door tops and or roof lifting the cab from them.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Post Fiend

Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Exchange the chains for tie down straps. You can then adjust the balance easier.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Posting Guru

49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of
Just remember if it’s already painted the best way to do this is VERY CAREFULLY ����
Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Postmaster

jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscott61 View Post
Hi Jack tread John what is the mail slot for on the rear of your cab? Third brake like?
yep, bought a third brake light from Juliano's...
Old 02-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
OK. Having done this a couple times by myself it really is far easier to call 3 friends to help when the cab is painted.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Postmaster

bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
I agree Pete. The problem with some of us is finding friends that can or will do manual labor.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Elder User

Cougar54 has a good reputation on FTE.Cougar54 has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with removing the doors. The cab without the doors really isn't that heavy. I have a lift and used it for cab installation. Lifted the cab, rolled the chassis under it and let it down. I also removed the steering shaft once the chassis was aligned to make installation easier.