My truck needed to be more POSITIVE and ENERGIZED! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

My truck needed to be more POSITIVE and ENERGIZED!

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My truck needed to be more POSITIVE and ENERGIZED!

Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Dang it! I had the new end put on the shortened 2 gauge driver side battery positive cable today. I came home excited to get everything put together and buttoned up. The additional negative cable that had been routed one way is now routed a different way, so it is 10" too long now.

I will go back to the local shop tomorrow and have a new end put on the negative cable. Within 10 minutes of getting home I should have everything tightened down and ready to start.

I plan to post a couple of pictures of the finished connections and wiring in case anyone is interested. This might not do much, but it provides peace of mind that the cabling is up to the task that the 160 Amp alternator will be putting on them.

A while back when I cleaned and reconnected the block grounds, they were not too bad, but after 18 years they did need a good cleaning.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
All done! Connections are tight, zip ties are cut to length, cables routed and charging system is working as intended for a high output alternator.

Truck has been moved out of the garage and the Subaru reclaimed it spot. Tomorrow I start prepping the 5th wheel for camping season!

View from standing on the Ranch Hand grille guard.

View from valley looking at fuse block and B+ extension.

View from above driver headlight.

View of passenger side battery and new 2 gauge wire running along with the primary wire.

View of the additional negative/ground lug included with the QuickStart alternator and the B+ extension.

View of the new primary wires and additional ground wire to the driver side battery negative terminal.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
All done! Connections are tight, zip ties are cut to length, cables routed and charging system is working as intended for a high output alternator.
View of the additional negative/ground lug included with the QuickStart alternator and the B+ extension.

View of the new primary wires and additional ground wire to the driver side battery negative terminal.
Your positive block isn't square with the battery and your negative connection is clocked. Doesn't that bother you? It will now!

People who are OCD about their trucks are so much fun!
But seriously, Nice job, Sous!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Actually, the fact that the two new large gauge positive cables didn't ride together longer bothered me, but my wife said "just put it back together already and stop worrying about it". So, I made a command decision to not visit the local wire shop for a 4th time to have connectors put on or cut a bit shorter.

Thanks for the compliments. I really think it went together nicely. I plan to keep an eye on the small hard rubber under the fuse block until I can determine it is OK or needs to go. Really, the fuse block mounting surface metal gauge is so think that there is zero movement even when applying a decent amount of pressure.

She is ready to pull our camper to our vacation spot on the beach soon and we are excited to have her road worthy again. I didn't get a chance to install the GPR LED mod, but that will come soon too as the parts are in the garage.

John, did you see what I meant by the negative lug on the alternator case in the other thread from today?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Nice job. I also can't believe how clean it is under the hood. The last time mine looked like that it was sitting on the car lot. Lots of off-roading (I turn into a 16-year-old when I see mud) and the last three years of oil hemorrhages have taken it's toll under the hood. Every time I consider some quality cleaning time it's all I can do to get it back on the road in time. At this point I consider it my rust prevention plan.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:10 PM
dn29626
Posting Guru
dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.
Your engine bay does look good.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:35 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
John, did you see what I meant by the negative lug on the alternator case in the other thread from today?
Yep, I posted a pic of the grounding point I used. That rear lug just grounds the case, right? Or is there something else inside the case the bolt goes to?

If it is just the case, wouldn't the mounting bolts be just the same?

The rear looks neater, probably change it someday anyways. I was there and figured it would be a simple and quick improvement until I can address it properly

Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Superduty Boner! Gets the ache in me to do a little detailing! Nice job and thanks!

Denny

Old 02-13-2018, 06:05 PM
jimjokjv
Senior User
jimjokjv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Man if you lived closer I would be bringing my truck to your place for some tidying up under the hood.
Very clean, neat and organized. I will have to avoid looking under my hood for the next week to avoid feeling guilty of neglect.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ExPACamper View Post
Yep, I posted a pic of the grounding point I used. That rear lug just grounds the case, right? Or is there something else inside the case the bolt goes to?

The rear looks neater, probably change it someday anyways. I was there and figured it would be a simple and quick improvement until I can address it properly
Yes, there is a bolt on the rear of the alternator case. I think Brian42 had identified the same threaded hole on the OEM alternator case, but was not sure of the bolt thread pitch or length required.

I believe that the mounting bolts would provide the same sort of additional ground connection, if that is where you have it mounted, I would keep it there. Although, as you mentioned the rear of the case looks a bit cleaner.

Thanks to all for the compliments on the cleanliness of the engine bay. The truck had several soothing bathing sessions of Simple Green and low pressure water. I try to keep the vehicles clean, but always seem to be playing catch up. The truck doesn't get driven much, so it stays pretty clean for the most part.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Good job Sous looks clean, you practicly have the "Big 3" upgrade done.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:37 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold

I believe that the mounting bolts would provide the same sort of additional ground connection, if that is where you have it mounted, I would keep it there. Although, as you mentioned the rear of the case looks a bit cleaner.
It is just the case. Either connection point accomplishes the same thing. While my engine bay is covered in mud spray and (lots of) oil grime I am OCD when it comes to mechanical work and agree that the case bolt is a cleaner install.

Now I have to add the alternator cables AND an engine cleaning to my list of things to do.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Stop making me want to spend money Sous!!!!

Old 02-14-2018, 10:14 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
It is just the case. Either connection point accomplishes the same thing. While my engine bay is covered in mud spray and (lots of) oil grime I am OCD when it comes to mechanical work and agree that the case bolt is a cleaner install.
Thanks

Now I have to add the alternator cables AND an engine cleaning to my list of things to do.
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Stop making me want to spend money Sous!!!!
"FTE Induced Expenses" is REAL!

"Sorry, Honey, we can't go out to eat this weekend. I just saw this one thing on FTE and all the guys are doing it. I have to get that last .01 volts out of my alternator and my ICP will jump 5psi and my EGTs will drop almost 50 degrees!"

...and a good wife knows the meanings of FTE, EGT, ICP, IPR...etc.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks

"FTE Induced Expenses" is REAL!

"Sorry, Honey, we can't go out to eat this weekend. I just saw this one thing on FTE and all the guys are doing it. I have to get that last .01 volts out of my alternator and my ICP will jump 5psi and my EGTs will drop almost 50 degrees!"

...and a good wife knows the meanings of FTE, EGT, ICP, IPR...etc.
FTE stand for the following...doesn't it?
​​​​​​​Future
​​​​​​​Truck
Expense

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My truck needed to be more POSITIVE and ENERGIZED!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.