6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2016 6.7l diesel fuel milage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Here's mine.

In your display, I see that you add PM22 and PM23 but never both. I always add both when it's very cold. I thought PM23 was an anti-gel and added lubricity but did not boost cetane (ignition point). I'm not an expert and just commenting about what I have always done. Is PM22/23 a one or the other choice?

Bruce...

Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
In your display, I see that you add PM22 and PM23 but never both. I always add both when it's very cold. I thought PM23 was an anti-gel and added lubricity but did not boost cetane (ignition point). I'm not an expert and just commenting about what I have always done. Is PM22/23 a one or the other choice?

Bruce...
There was a recent discussion here about PM-22 and PM-23. I was not adding both because I did not know any better. From my understanding you are correct there is no cetane boost in PM-23.

I still only add one or the other depending on the ambient temperatures. I am not as concerned with the cetane boost PM-22 adds as I am about the added lubricity both these products add back to the fuel. I use them for added lubricity for the HPFP.

If there is a strong argument to why I should care about the cetane numbers we see at the pump I would like to hear it.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
If there is a strong argument to why I should care about the cetane numbers we see at the pump I would like to hear it.
I have nothing for you but someone will.

In my part of the world, I don't use PM23 much. One bottle each winter buys 5 tanks of protection. I only look to protect when the truck is going to sit outside and temps fall below zero. I've never had fuel problems.

If I traveled more from south to north, I would have much more of a concern.

bruce...

Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by razehm
STOP THIS RIGHT NOW! You are ruining my fantasy on board computer math that makes me feel better about my MPG! HA HA HA just kidding, I would always assume the computer that FORD put in will make it appear like its better than it actually is. Maybe that's why I haven't done a hand calculation. I still think its about same or slightly better than my 150 was, certainly for towing it is.
My on board computer was nearly identical to real usage, within 0.1-0.2 gallons per tank used. Now that I deleted, the on board computer says I am burning 1.2-1.5 gallons more per tank than I actually am. My hand calculated mileage is 1+mpg better than the display shows.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
My on board computer was nearly identical to real usage, within 0.1-0.2 gallons per tank used. Now that I deleted, the on board computer says I am burning 1.2-1.5 gallons more per tank than I actually am. My hand calculated mileage is 1+mpg better than the display shows.

My on board mpg guesstimater was a good 1+ mpg above my hand calculation for my first 70K miles. And I am now facing a more erroneous reading as I just put a set of 295/70/18's on my F250 and my daily commute mileage reading went from 35 miles one way to 32.4miles.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
First, congrats on the truck.

Right off the bat, no one is getting 28 mpg's, so you can ignore those claims as BS. Maybe squeezing into the low 20's, sure that's possible. Not very common, but possible I suppose.

Fuel economy will vary GREATLY on these trucks depending on driving style, conditions, etc. Truck in my sig, if I drive I get 16-18 MPG empty. If the woman drives, it's 12-14. Not even kidding, it's that far different.

Also something else to consider, try calculating mileage by hand rather than relying on the display. Those can be somewhat inaccurate in certain situations.

And diesels always are louder than gas engines. It's how a diesel operates. Modern diesels are quiet as a church mouse compared to just 10 years ago.

Has nothing to do with government. As stated in previous posts the fuel is blended as a winter mix to prevent it from gelling up and leaving you stranded in cold weather. It's simply the physical properties of diesel fuel, it has a wax point temperature and a gel point temperature.

You have a lot to learn..... stick around.
Mine will get 28 mpg if going over a cliff with the ignition and lights turned off.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:28 PM
hlozano
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my fuel log so far on my 2018 F350 4x4 CCSB 6.7.

Average MPG is 16.90. The Lie-O-Meter shows 17.9MPG. I finally got into a routine the last 3 fill-ups which is my daily commute. I'm sure MPG's will go up once we switch back to summer fuel and as the motor breaks in.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Jon is on the money with his descriptions. I will add that the truck when cold, especially the transmission, gets worse mileage until it warms up and that takes longer than a gas motor.

If you think the 6.7 makes a rattling sound, go sit in an older diesel.. Like a 7.3L Ford or just about any diesel truck Dodge Ram makes. The reason is diesel is compression ignition and not spark ignition. No spark plugs in a diesel. Modern diesels use split-shot injection to minimize, but not eliminate, that noise. Which means multiple fuel injection events per piston movement. It does sound like a gasser with a rod knock...

My normal everyday, mostly highway driving, I'm lucky to see 14-15... Long drives I have seen 20 mpg, but that is rare and usually when highway speed are under 60 mph. My record for a 200 mile drive is 24 mpg, unloaded/not pulling. It was after a fill-up and the truck was nice a warmed up, probably a slight down grade and no wind and no regen. Like PH said - PERFECT conditions.

I've always kept my suspension and tires stock sizes and run a hard tonneau cover. I pull, occasionally, but nowhere near what Jon does. I also don't put anywhere near the number of miles on my trucks as he does either. I have owned 4 - 6.7s and they all have been about the same... Never drove a 2WD one to compare with though.
Thanks, you're the first to have been able to answer that question about the rattling. Definitely makes sense. And you answered another question I had about how long it takes to warm up. I'm commuting about 20 miles to work. I always start it about ten minutes before leaving. It is just hitting normal temp by the time I get to work. With the trans lagging a the engine a bit, temp wise. I had assumed that there is a lot of iron to heat up.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Originally Posted by lynnmor
Are you resetting the fuel mileage readout regularly, or are you quoting the average reading from day one?
Its been reset a couple of times. After a bit of driving it gets back to about the same each time.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
I've read on here about people getting 20 mpg's and more. I know no one personally that gets close to that. Most are 14 to 17 mpg's highway empty. A few less. I get 10 to 13 towing my 31' 5er.
That's the magic of diesel. I see very little drop in mileage, empty or towing. When just weight (low profile trailer with lots of firewood) and little wind drag I don't see any drop.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Has nothing to do with government. As stated in previous posts the fuel is blended as a winter mix to prevent it from gelling up and leaving you stranded in cold weather. It's simply the physical properties of diesel fuel, it has a wax point temperature and a gel point temperature.

You have a lot to learn..... stick around.
Thanks, my first thought when wondering about the mileage was the the "bio-diesel" additive warnings I see at the pumps. Makes me think of ethanol and all the problems and less mileage it causes. You have to admit, its not hard to blame government these days.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
I didn't buy it for fuel mileage anyway and don't care. Seeing someone claim 20-25 makes me skeptical of their calculator and I am not going to let it bother me if I can't get those numbers.
Thanks, this is pretty much my thinking also. I did buy hoping for better mileage than my previous truck, but mostly for the towing power. My previous was a 4.6 gasser. It got 7mpg towing my TT and was often in second, or hunting gears (3 to OD) when trying to maintain 70 mph. And 70 was about as fast as it would go, lol.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too

Bruce...
What does the PM stand for? The charts are interesting. I guess I need to do some actual figures on paper math.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Celtictexan
Junior User
Thanks everyone who answered. An interesting side note developed after my OP. I got a check engine light driving home. I took it to the dealer and was told I needed to change fuel filters. I was at 11,000 miles. They said they re-flashed the fuel trim on the pcm. 16013a TSB 16-0134. I did the filters myself, and next drive the computer had me back up to 12.9 from 11.9. The book recommends filter changes at around 15k. Is this common to need to change filters, or was I being upsold? The truck doesn't seem quite as peppy now either. I'm wondering if they cut back fuel flow a bit with update.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtictexan
Thanks everyone who answered. An interesting side note developed after my OP. I got a check engine light driving home. I took it to the dealer and was told I needed to change fuel filters. I was at 11,000 miles. They said they re-flashed the fuel trim on the pcm. 16013a TSB 16-0134. I did the filters myself, and next drive the computer had me back up to 12.9 from 11.9. The book recommends filter changes at around 15k. Is this common to need to change filters, or was I being upsold? The truck doesn't seem quite as peppy now either. I'm wondering if they cut back fuel flow a bit with update.
You were upsold a bit early, but nothing to really be concerned about.

The calibration isn't cutting back on fuel. Right now your truck is going through the adaptive shift strategy reset that follows any calibration update. It's going to feel different during the re-learning process. Don't be surprised if you get quirky shifts here and there or the acceleration feels funny at times.

Quick Reply: 2016 6.7l diesel fuel milage.