1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Blue tooth approach to music: working great

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue tooth approach to music: working great

I finally got some music installed in my truck. I considered installing a stereo in the dash and running speaker wire, but decided it just wasn’t to my liking.

I installed a large, nice sounding (plenty of bass) blue tooth speaker and control it from my phone. It’s working out very nicely so far.

1 UE Mega Boom speaker. BestBuy has some colors on sale to $179 instead of $250:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ultimat...?skuId=8749545

Setup is easy:
Install Mega Boom app on phone from the AppStore.
Connect first time to speaker over blue tooth.
Open the app and go to settings, enable “Remote Power”

I used some wide Velcro straps to hold the speaker from the hood vent rod like so:

I also have a dual USB charger behind the dash for the speaker and phone

Now when I get in the truck, I just put my phone on its holder, open the app and turn on the speaker. Then I fire up whatever tunes I want to hear, usually a playlist in Spotify. When I park, I hit pause and the speaker will turn off automatically after 15 minutes of quiet.

Pulling the speaker out to use it at a picnic or something like that is really no problem. The speaker has 20 hours of battery when off the charger.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Really awesome idea!! It's amazing how many options like that we have nowadays as compared to just a few years ago.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I’m using Bluetooth in my truck too!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I had already decided not to install a stereo. I was just going to install nice speakers and a Bluetooth amp. This thing looks pretty good. I may have to rethink the plan.

I assume the sound quality is comperable to a good “system?”

Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Nice! My plan also I'm staying 6 volt, so I will not have a charger unless I find a way to make it work. Rock on Wallace

Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Now that my boy is a great idea!......... thanks for sharing....

Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Great idea for simplicity and lack of intrusion into your interior albeit at the sacrifice of some sound quality .

Old 02-06-2018, 11:11 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried that,but my truck is too loud and I still couldn't hear it. I'll be installing some sound deadener at a later date,so I hope that helps. L8R ZFLASH

Old 02-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
This is really cool! I was waiting in line at a Walgreen and noticed a Blue tooth speaker on clearance for about $79.00. I wondered if it would work in a vehicle. Apparently it will. I'm not a techie and have l never streamed or used my smart phone for music, but why not? I remember putting a CD player in our Cutlass convertible. I didn't want to cut the dash for a newer CD player so I left the original AM radio in the dash and bought a CD player with remote and mounted the player in the glove box, ran wires to 4 speakers, etc. Then found out the remote wouldn't work thru the glove box door! Anyway what a hassle. I always have my phone, so why not? Can you stream a local radio station also? I still like news and a different variety of music. Thanks, Greg.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Can you stream a local radio station also? I still like news and a different variety of music. Thanks, Greg.
If your local station is on IHeartRadio, or if they stream on their own app or website, yes you can. Otherwise you cannot receive a radio signal on a phone.

I rarely listen to regular FM and never to AM. I almost always listen to stations on Amazon Prime. No commercials and I can listen to the types of music I like and am in the mood for. I have rarely been in an area it can’t buffer well, but even then I have about 20 hours of music on my phone.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
If your local station is on IHeartRadio, or if they stream on their own app or website, yes you can. Otherwise you cannot receive a radio signal on a phone.

I rarely listen to regular FM and never to AM. I almost always listen to stations on Amazon Prime. No commercials and I can listen to the types of music I like and am in the mood for. I have rarely been in an area it can’t buffer well, but even then I have about 20 hours of music on my phone.
I too listen to Amazon Prime and when I get Henry back, I will be installing one of the above in him. Or I might use the trick that one of the other members used by hinging the speaker grille and mounting a current radio behind it. The only problem with that is speaker location. Or just use ear buds and forgo the entire hassle of providing sound in your classic truck.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
I use siriusxm but I know not everyone subscribes to it. I have a portable set up for my vehicle that I use for work and can move it around with no problem. It works for me.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
FYI you can get SiriusXM on your phone or tablet (computer too) if you have it in one of your other vehicles for $5.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZFLASH
I tried that,but my truck is too loud and I still couldn't hear it. I'll be installing some sound deadener at a later date,so I hope that helps. L8R ZFLASH
This particular model speaker's sound quality is quite impressive. That said, like you, I measured my cab noise on the highway at 95 DB which the app said was equivalent to food blender

I can still here the music though.

John

Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
I had already decided not to install a stereo. I was just going to install nice speakers and a Bluetooth amp. This thing looks pretty good. I may have to rethink the plan.

I assume the sound quality is comperable to a good “system?”
You can demo them at Best Buy, etc. The sound quality is closer to amazing. I don't know how they do it.

John

Quick Reply: Blue tooth approach to music: working great