1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1978 E150 Adventure Van Build - Update Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:14 PM
ncoleman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 E150 Adventure Van Build - Update Videos

Hey guys,

With the recent fail of a post I made loaded with pictures of my van builds progress I decided to just start a new thread & post video updates.

Update #1

​​​​Update #2

Update #3

Update #4

Last edited by ncoleman; 02-16-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: posting update videos
Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Cant wait to see the finished project!
Got to love the retro carpet. My moms 78 has a yellow/orange/brownish carpet in it..

Something to think about is making vent holes in the plywood for the bed.

Moisture Under The Mattress Problem!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 PM
ncoleman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
Cant wait to see the finished project!
Got to love the retro carpet. My moms 78 has a yellow/orange/brownish carpet in it..

Something to think about is making vent holes in the plywood for the bed.

i will actually do this. have read about it, will take some weight off too.

thanks

Old 02-16-2018, 01:18 PM
ncoleman
Freshman User
posted an update video today -

Still have A LOT of work to go.
Also the van left me stuck at a store last night. Just figured out about an hour ago I need to replace the ignition control module. Looking into replacement sunroof options, which is why you see my extremely over caulked sunroof. Previous owner had a pop up sunroof that had a metal flange on the outside that made water build up and would leak through.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:47 PM
ncoleman
Freshman User
posted a new update video to the first post in thread!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
It's looking great and you are coming along there.. the white inside really brightens it up.
That manual battery switch is a great idea! That is what I am thinking about using.

suggestion on the wiring. Since you have a 50 amp fuse (I am assuming it is going to your branch circuits for your lights and accessories), you should run a single gauge wire large enough to handle 50 amps to the point where it splits of to the smaller branch circuits. The #12 wire is only good for 20 amps and will loose voltage. It can will also get hot and burn up once you start pushing over 20 to 25 amps being drawn from your branch circuits constantly.
You should run at least #8, #6 would be better but #8 should work for that short of a distance.
Here is a fuse block that you can run your grounds and hot wire to in one little package. You carry the 50 amp feed wire to it and then the branch circuits are fused from there.
https://www.delcity.net/store/ATC-&-...11262.h_650184

You should mount that in a some kind of electrical rated box so if anything ever overheats you wont have to worry about a fire. You could buy a cheap 30 amp disconnect box and pull the guts out of it and mount your fuse block in it. A box like this has a lid that you can flip open to check your fuses. Find a electrician shop somewhere near by and they will probably have a used one you can pick up for a couple of bucks..
Air Conditioner Pull-Out Rainproof Disconnect Switch

I think am going to use my 2 burner camp stove too. If you plan to use a 20lb tank, they will vent propane into the van if they get hot enough. So will the small bottles but better a small one then a 20 lb tank. You really need to research how to carry a 20lb tank if that is what you plan on using. In many RV's they are mounted in a sealed, floor vented compartment with access to the outside. I know many people carry them around but just something to think about.
Here is what a small bottle can do if it off gasses and catches fire. (of course this was thrown in a fire)

The black outs for the rear windows is great too. My van came with a complete set of metal mini blinds and thick curtains but they can still let a little light through at night. i have the same non pop out windows like you too. Sure would be nice if they popped out but then you couldn't black then out at night.

What is the height of your vent fan above the roof? My van has the high top and just barely fits under some drive through but it slopes lower towards the rear of the van.
Have you had a chance to run your vent fan yet to se how long it lasts with your single battery?

Here is a cheap battery indicator but you probably already have one with your solar equipment. I might not use solar just yet so was thinking to use one of these with a push button switch to check it so it wouldn't run all the time.

Keep the videos coming!
https://www.ebay.com/i/332126028305?chn=ps

Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 AM
ncoleman
Freshman User
Thanks! I'm actually gonna swap out that 50 AMP fuse for a 25 amp fuse (im only running led strip lights & (2) 12 volt plugs to the fuse box) & a covered bus bar for the positive lines after further research, and I will only be carrying the very small green propane tanks.

i can run my fan on the low setting forever pretty much, barely does anything to the battery, it has 10 speeds.

i will be sewing a fabric the same color as my walls with black blackout curtains on the back of the foam board just to make it look nicer

not to sure on the height but it doesn't fit in my garage anymore.

i have the rover charge controller which shows my battery % and it doesnt ever really go under 70% but it shouldnt go under 50 bc its AGM

if i were to do this build again i think i would just spend more money on batteries and connect them to an isolator vs getting solar, just for the purpose of stealth camping in cities

Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM
ncoleman
Freshman User
4th video update is here! getting close to being doing. hoping to be ready for a local camping trip the first weekend of April