Would you opt for a diesel Ranger? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2019 Ranger Everything about the new 2019 Ford Ranger.

Would you opt for a diesel Ranger?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Posting Guru

WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog556 View Post
Obviously you have not seen the power or Torque numbers of the 2.3L Ecoboost. Even in the F150, the 3.5L will give the 3.0L Diesel a run for it's money, towing wise. Your 2.8L TUNED Diesel holds top gear? So what? Is it worth it to pay $4000 for an engine with a bunch of emissions crap, extra complicated and sensitive fuel system? An Engine as a daily driver can't get out of it's own way while sucking extra expensive fuel? The idea is a novelty. If you like to spend money on novel toys then by all means, buy a Colorado for $38,000-$40,000.
I have experience with the EcoBoost engines. I also have seen the nightmare they are from a reliability standpoint.

So what? So my diesel held top gear stock or tuned either way, meaning that it was keeping the trans. cool, meaning that it was consuming minimal fuel, meaning that it's a more useful power plant. This isn't rocket surgery. The ability to hold gear is a BIG deal.

Can't get out of it's own way? I have a Mach 1 in my driveway that runs like a scalded dog. I have a F150 with a Coyote V8 that is tuned and will eat the tires. I've owned dozens of high horsepower vehicles. My diesel was one of the most enjoyable vehicles to drive I've ever been in. When you dip into the throttle, it sets you back in the seat. The low end torque is very fun to play with.

Ultra expensive fuel? Dude, there's like a $.30 cent difference between gas and diesel right now, and if you're getting a real world 26 MPG in a diesel vs. a real world 16 MPG in an EcoBust...you're saving cash.

Apparently you have never owned a small diesel 4x4.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior User

DevilDog556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXboy View Post
I have experience with the EcoBoost engines. I also have seen the nightmare they are from a reliability standpoint.

So what? So my diesel held top gear stock or tuned either way, meaning that it was keeping the trans. cool, meaning that it was consuming minimal fuel, meaning that it's a more useful power plant. This isn't rocket surgery. The ability to hold gear is a BIG deal.

Can't get out of it's own way? I have a Mach 1 in my driveway that runs like a scalded dog. I have a F150 with a Coyote V8 that is tuned and will eat the tires. I've owned dozens of high horsepower vehicles. My diesel was one of the most enjoyable vehicles to drive I've ever been in. When you dip into the throttle, it sets you back in the seat. The low end torque is very fun to play with.

Ultra expensive fuel? Dude, there's like a $.30 cent difference between gas and diesel right now, and if you're getting a real world 26 MPG in a diesel vs. a real world 16 MPG in an EcoBust...you're saving cash.

Apparently you have never owned a small diesel 4x4.
I've driven enough Diesels to know they don't get all that great a fuel economy and even more so I know what a nightmare they are for reliability and cost of ownership. The 3.5L Ecoboost in the F150 has proven pretty decent and the mountain of torque it serves up, dwarfes the 3.0 Powerstroke. Even the 2.3L ecoboost is serving up 350lb/ft of torque in the Mustang...the GM 2.8 is 369? Not worth the trouble in my mind. It's a novel engine....
Old 02-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Freshman User

2.7EcoBoost is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not saying I don't want them to offer a diesel, I'm saying it will probably make little sense competing against the 2.3 EB. Compare the 2.7EB to the Ram 3.0ED. With a 7,000lb trailer the EB goes 0-60 in 16.5 seconds. The Ram in 23.9 seconds. Passing 45-65 mph the 2.7 does it in 9.4 seconds, the Ram 21.2 seconds!! That is an eternity!! I expect the 2.3EB will out perform the 2.8 GM the same. The only clear benefit of the diesel is towing mpg. Not many people are buying mid size trucks to do coast to coast towing. An occasional weekend with the travel trailer is about it. I think the 2.0 Ford is gonna be a little more high strung, probably faster, but maybe splitting the difference in performance/mpg compared to the 2.3EB. I get that people like diesels and the competition has them so I think Ford should offer it.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Posting Guru

smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
We don't need to get into a pissing contest here...

We're talking about Ford possibly offering the diesel as an option not cramming it down everyone's throat...

As far as The Ford rep saying the diesel is not coming to the US...do you remember Ford saying that the Ranger was never coming back to the US?? Of course you do. Pure BS...

IMHO Ford corporate was late to the game in Getting the Ranger to the market which is red hot right now. It really surprises me that with such a good platform in the global Ranger they didn't bring it here sooner.

I have had and currently have several diesels (I own a construction company). Among my collection is the 3.0 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee that has about 50k on it. I specifically sought out that SUV and it has been a fantastic vehicle, particularly on trips. Getting close to 30 mpg on the highway is the real deal...almost 700 miles on a tank of fuel. As far as pickup goes it readily outperforms the 6 cylinder Jeep and is on par with the V8 but gets twice the real world mileage....

As far as cost goes, yes it costs more and if you don't want to buy one don't..simple as that, but I will tell you that you get most of that back when you sell it on the back side.

I had the opportunity of driving the diesel Ranger in Costa Rica last year and it was a fantastic vehicle. I was talking to some of the locals down there and they preferred over the Toyota Hilux and that's saying something..
Old Today, 10:40 AM
Senior User

ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would NOT buy a diesel only because of the emissions stuff. I would not buy a 2.3eco only because I don't like the I4 family. I would buy a 2.7eco for all the extra capability. People do buy smaller trucks for other reasons than economy.