Looking at a '56 F-100 service truck - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking at a '56 F-100 service truck

Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 AM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Those are aftermarket wiper arms, I had one on my 56 and an original.. regarding your door and ignition keys you can purchase matching barrels ...

Old 04-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks - I think a matching set from MidFifty is on the cards in the not-too-distant future.

Today's job (apart from another car meet this morning) was to investigate the thermostat situation. I dug out that thermostat from the box of spare bits and tested it in a pan of water on the stove - it worked perfectly. Ok, now to see what's in the housing. Sure enough, this is what I found - the Emperor's New Thermostat...

Also, this is what came out of the radiator tap...

Iron oxide soup - delicious!! The block must be several pounds lighter now, as half of it came out of the radiator in suspension/solution.

So I fabricated a new thermo housing gasket...

...inserted the thermo, and reassembled the whole thing. Filled with water (for now) and went for a test drive. the engine ran so much better - I thought it was running smoothly after the previous improvements, but now it ran like a Swiss watch. AND - the 'wood stove' heater in the cab actually got warm - that was a first. No leaks anywhere, so I'll run it for a couple more days, then flush the entire cooling system and refill with a proper concentration of antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor.

Result!!

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So today's weather was pretty grim, but it didn't stop progress being made. The task today was to investigate the non-functioning blower.

I put 12v across both lines into the motor directly, but got nothing except sparking against the live end of the starter solenoid (which I used for a local power source). So the motor's stuck. I removed the heater assembly and freed decades of California dust, dead wildlife and other assorted detritus. Sadly the defrost ducts crumbled to dust, so I'll have to have a think about what to replace them with - a vacuum cleaner flexible tube might be a good answer.

I removed the motor from the heater assembly, and found in an instant the cause of the motor not working...

Please forgive my crappy phone camera. I put 12v across both lines to the motor and it worked as advertised instantly. Result!

That's not the end of the story however. The blower switch has issues. Well, one issue - no 12v input. Also the feed to the cigar lighter is dangling in mid-air with no connection to power it, so as it's in close proximity I'll find a suitable feed and connect both up at the same time. More tomorrow...

Old 04-10-2018, 01:42 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Good to see that you are getting everything sorted out. As for the ducting, there are many vendors w

Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Thanks Charlie. Yes, a couple of metres of 60mm automotive heater ducting will be on order in the morning. That will give me time to clean up the heater assembly and find that 12v feed under the dash.

Has anyone got a dashboard wiring diagram for a '56 please?

Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future

Here is a kit I just ordered from Bob Drake for my 40 coupe...they carry just the hose as well. Looks to be a fairly close match to the OEM.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Thanks, Charlie. Mine looks different to that - the ducting is like a black fabric wound over a thin steel 'slinky' spring. I've ordered some replacement of the right diameter which looks reasonably similar but is wound aluminium inside and black rubberised fabric outside.

So I got the heater/blower cleaned up, wired up, reinstalled, and the whole cooling system flushed and refilled with fresh coolant. It all works perfectly now. The amount of rusty soup which came out of the system beggars belief. That Y-Block must be many pounds lighter now.

Today I took it out to a show about 40 miles away, and it ran pretty well. The driveline vibration will have to be addressed (along with the 4.27 axle ratio) sooner rather than later as it makes journeys hard work. I think that will be the next job of significance.

Here I am arriving at the show...

Old 04-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Carbonarc
Senior User
Carbonarc is starting off with a positive reputation.
The body has a nice pitina. Judging from the other cars visible you were the odd man out?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Haha! Yeah - oddly enough I was the only one there with a '56 F100 PG&E/PB service truck. I like being different.

It was a mixed bag meet. Anything and everything from little hatchbacks to, well, my truck. The nearest thing to it was a 2004 Dodge RAM 500 pickup.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hi YBlock
So no country or county designation on your license plates? Just letters/numbers? Antique plates?
We've got dogs, flowers, colleges, etc... Of course they charge extra for the cute little images.

I was just curious if you have plate options over there in the UK.

Ben in Austin, Texas
1950 F1

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/lice...license-plates

Old 04-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
So no country or county designation on your license plates? Just letters/numbers?
Hey, Ben. Those plates are 'period correct' I guess you'd say. White/silver characters on a matte black background was all there ever was in the UK until the two-colour reflective scheme came in in the early 1970s (I think). Then it changed to black characters on a white background for the front plate, and black on a yellow background for the rear.

Only in more recent times are the plates available with territorial designations, in keeping with EU harmonisation - which I guess we are now working hard to undo... Presumably post-Brexit we will go back to the Stone Age (along with everything else) and revert to the plate style on the truck!! Current EU harmonised plates look like this (rear plate shown):

Fancy pictures of flowers, mountains, etc are far too 'showy' for all those British stiff upper lips...

Cheers! Keith

Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
From the trip out last weekend...

It's quite long, so I'll not be offended if you don't watch it all.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:51 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Keith,
You drove flawlessly through those dreaded roundabouts.... When driving up to those things in Britain I'd always have to think
...which way do I go around this dang thing. I'd cheat and wait for someone to show me the way. Did you see that nice red 3 wheel car
go through right in front of you?

Looking good over there. I always enjoyed Glen Campbell..my father-in-law was a lineman here locally in Texas
and he drove a very similar truck.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Y-Block Limey
Senior User
Hi Ben

I love roundabouts. And the last time I was Stateside (about 2 years ago) I encountered a series of proper, fully UK-compliant roundabouts in a suburb of Tampa FL, not far from Busch Gardens. Couldn't believe it when we came across them. French roundabouts, of course, because they were the wrong way round for the UK! Haha!

It took me some time, but I think I found the 3-wheeler - it's one of these...

It's a kit car called a B.R.A. Certainly not a Morgan.

Nice story about your F-I-L. My Dad lived in Houston for over 30 years, he came 'home' last year to be nearer to family in his old age.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Mixer man
Posting Guru
Mixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to beholdMixer man is a splendid one to behold
Love the video. Well done. Nice driving too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a '56 F-100 service truck

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.