Looking at a '56 F-100 service truck - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking at a '56 F-100 service truck

Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Right - we're back up and running again. I pulled all the plugs, cleaned them, gapped them and put them back. Also I cleaned and gapped the points set, put the 'I' terminal wire back on the coil side of the ballast and we were straight back in business.

I've had a go at the timing, but I'm not confident the marker on the crank pulley is in the right place. The pulley is quite rusty and I can see various things marked in the casting but none of which I would say look like an array of timing marks. Certainly on the outer edge there is a white mark, but I can't identify what it is marked against, if anything. I found it to be a few degrees in advance of the pointer on the timing cover, when running at idle with the carb vacuum pipe off. I turned the distributor to line them up better, and the truck runs and drives slightly better. But it is still misfiring a little.

I'm wondering if the valves are indeed sticking a bit when the engine has warmed up...?

Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Y-Block Limey is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Had a good 2 days sorting the motor's running issues.

Today set the valve lash across the board, cold, and found several to be very tight. Hmmm. The white marker on the crank pulley appears to be at TDC, so I set the timing forward a few degrees back to approx 5 deg advance. Set the idle, and went for a good run around.

Once home again I reduced the idle a little further and I think we're now about there. Sounds healthy enough to me - what do you think?

If you have sharp ears, you will have hear a crashing noise when the truck approaches in the first vid. This is the utility body bouncing as the truck hits a pothole. I have discovered that the body is only resting on the frame - it doesn't appear to be bolted down anywhere! :O I'll see if I can fix that!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:55 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Sounds good, Limey! I didn't hear the crashing noise until I listened a second time. ALthough I did hear the bird chirping! I hope you get it bolted down before you lose it!

Was that a nosey neighbor I saw in the second video?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Was that a nosey neighbor I saw in the second video?
No, just a nosey youngest son (who did the camerawork in the 1st vid) and Stan the dog (well, I suppose he's actually my youngest son! )

Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Neat truck! I do love me a '56...

I do suggest taking pictures of everything before adjusting anything. Sometimes you just need to know what it looked like before you changed something. And if you don't then you'll at least know how far you've come.
A shop manual is a great buy for these things.
Mid-Fifty also has any parts you might need.

So what's the sticker on your dash say?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stephen67 View Post
So what's the sticker on your dash say?
Thanks, Stephen. I have a 'shop manual and driver's manual on order via Amazon already. I'm looking forward to a good read.

The sticker on the dash says (as best I can decipher a very feint legend in places):

"RULES FOR OPERATING MOBILE RADIO UNITS DURING A CONELRAD RADIO ALERT

1. Immediately on receipt of a CONELRAD RADIO ALERT all radio stations including mobile units and pack sets, must interrupt any communications in progress and maintain radio silence for the duration of the ALERT except for limited transmissions handled in accordance with the following:
a. No radio transmissions shall be made unless they are of an emergency nature affecting national safety or the safety of people or property;
b. All transmissions must be as short as possible;
c. No station identification shall be given at any time, either by announcement of regularly assigned call sign or announcement of geographical location. (The use of mobile unit identification is permissible, if necessary, to carry on service.)

2. Where mobile or portable units that are unattended while the radio silence alert was given are obviously unaware of Conelrad conditions being in effect, another mobile or portable unit should relay the CONELRAD RADIO ALERT to that unit when his unit is activated and an attempt may be made to come on the air."

Heady stuff! Gawd, I miss the Cold War...

Old 04-05-2018, 04:58 PM
tripleframe
Elder User
tripleframe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tripleframe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Y-Block Limey View Post

I found the old (presumably original) licence plates tucked away in a corner:

This '56 must have been a twin to your truck. Note how similar plates are. Original '56 CA plates were black on yellow, most original plates were returned to the DMV and replaced with new yellow on black in '63. Early '63 plates started with prefix A , then B then C etc. Photo taken in mid 80's at auction. P G and E trucks were originally all solid brown, later paint schemes were done in tu tone brown and tan.Note tail pipe outlet directly under front bumper right side, this truck was hauling combustible fuel.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Y-Block Limey View Post
Thanks, Stephen. I have a 'shop manual and driver's manual on order via Amazon already. I'm looking forward to a good read.

The sticker on the dash says (as best I can decipher a very feint legend in places):

"RULES FOR OPERATING MOBILE RADIO UNITS DURING A CONELRAD RADIO ALERT

1. Immediately on receipt of a CONELRAD RADIO ALERT all radio stations including mobile units and pack sets, must interrupt any communications in progress and maintain radio silence for the duration of the ALERT except for limited transmissions handled in accordance with the following:
a. No radio transmissions shall be made unless they are of an emergency nature affecting national safety or the safety of people or property;
b. All transmissions must be as short as possible;
c. No station identification shall be given at any time, either by announcement of regularly assigned call sign or announcement of geographical location. (The use of mobile unit identification is permissible, if necessary, to carry on service.)

2. Where mobile or portable units that are unattended while the radio silence alert was given are obviously unaware of Conelrad conditions being in effect, another mobile or portable unit should relay the CONELRAD RADIO ALERT to that unit when his unit is activated and an attempt may be made to come on the air."

Heady stuff! Gawd, I miss the Cold War...
Oh that's awesome.

Mine says,
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFE OPERATION OF THIS VEHICLE

Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Originally Posted by tripleframe View Post
This '56 must have been a twin to your truck. Note how similar plates are. Original '56 CA plates were black on yellow, most original plates were returned to the DMV and replaced with new yellow on black in '63. Early '63 plates started with prefix A , then B then C etc. Photo taken in mid 80's at auction. P G and E trucks were originally all solid brown, later paint schemes were done in tu tone brown and tan.
A very close call! I'd love to know what use my truck was for originally.

You raise a good point about the CA DMV. I wonder if they keep historical records, and accept enquiries from strangers in far-off lands...? I guess there's only one way to find out!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
CA DMV purges records after 7 years.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Thanks for the heads up, Charlie. Seems I have just missed that one by a whisker.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Got loads done today.

The crashing noises whenever a bump or pothole is encountered was easily explained away - three of the four bed mounts were like this:

The fourth had nothing in it at all. No wonder it was noisy! It also explains why there is minor rubbing damage to the inside sidewall of the left rear tyre. The whole thing was sliding over the frame into the tyre on right-hand corners.

Now bolted down firm, and a huge amount of noise - bangs, squeaks, etc - have disappeared. The box wasn't as heavy as I was expecting either. From underneath I could push up and get it to slide into position on the frame, to get the mounting holes to line up. I was dreading having to try that, but it was quite easy really. I lubricated the three body locks, all of which operate like they should, and the locks work with the key, so it really is secure. I'm really happy about that. Or 'really chuffed' as we say over here.

I've also bolted down those ugly fender skirts onto the boards - again not clattering or rubbing against each other anymore. I adjusted the choke and throttle linkages, bolted down firmly the transmission hatch in the cab floor. Then I adjusted the wiper arms so they park at the bottom of the screen rather than about 2-3" away, and levelled them also. Then fitted a new-ish blade to the driver's wiper arm. The old one was in pieces. I've got 2 new ones on order. Finally, I took the horn push apart as the horn operation was a bit hit and miss. Cleaned up the contacts, re-assembled, and it honks reliably now as soon as you touch the horn push.

The truck is already transformed from how it was when it arrived. The Y-Block purrs (growls??) beautifully now, with that unmistakeable rumble - rather than sounding like a tractor as it did whern I first got it.

Today was a good day.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:42 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Well done, Lad, well done!

At least you had some bed mounts fastened with a bolt, even if they were loose. Does your ignition key work the 3 body locks or is it a separate key? If so I'm sure you're stoked, as we say here, about having the key.

Question. How do you adjust your wipers?

Oh, and I like your new icon!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Hi Abe - and thank you. The icon had to be done - especially with a nom de plume like mine. Hehe.

Yes, I'm stoked too! There are two keys - one for ignition and one for the body locks. Sadly the ignition key doesn't operate the passenger door lock. I think the ignition and door have different lock barrels and I don't have another key. The ignition and body keys are completely different.

I adjusted my wipers by making sure I stopped the motor when the spindles were at the bottom of their stroke, after removing the arms of course. Then I placed the arm over the spindle with the blade at the bottom of the screen/shield and pushed the arm into mesh with the splined spindle. The arms have a little adjuster on them too, so you can alter the angle of the top of the arm so the blade sits flat along the rubber seal. I'll show you a detailed picture later.

I'm just off out with the truck to its first show/meeting out in public - wish me luck!!!

Cheers, Keith

Old 04-07-2018, 05:58 AM
Y-Block Limey
Junior User
Just got back from that car meet. I can tell you that there were no other '56 F100 utility trucks there! It's nice to be different.

A good job I improved the wipers, as it bucketed down on the way back. I would probably had to pull over if I hadn't done something, as they were terrible before, and it would have been far too dangerous on the motorway (freeway).

Regarding adjustments, here's before and after, and the last shot is a detailed look at the angle adjustment device on the arm. Between the two halves there are lots of tiny radial serrations, so you loosen the screw, put the arm where you want it, and tighten it down. The serrations inter-mesh as it tightens, and hold it all in place. Quite neat, really.

Before:

After:

And the adjuster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.