Ford 6.7L DEF tank Heater - Excessive failure rates - P20BA - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Ford 6.7L DEF tank Heater - Excessive failure rates - P20BA

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 6.7L DEF tank Heater - Excessive failure rates - P20BA

Old 11-29-2018, 02:14 PM
FSFT
New User
FSFT is starting off with a positive reputation.
So my 2012 Ford F-250 6.7 truck popped the P-20BA code, so I called the local Ford dealer 19- November to schedule an appointment to have it addressed. They could not work me in until today, 29-Nov at 7:30 am. Just got a call and the service rep said sorry, they are backed up back there and may not get to your truck today...... maybe tomorrow. That didn't sit well with me. They have me wait almost 2-weeks then when I bring it in, you can't find the time to look at it? If they don't get to it today, the service writer said he would have the Service Manager call me. Frustrating.. According to the CSP, this issue is supposed to get priority over repairs of new or used vehicles. But in all fairness, they have not verified the P-20BA code yet

Old 11-29-2018, 05:40 PM
mooreswm
Freshman User
mooreswm is starting off with a positive reputation.
same Here

I have a 2015 F350 I had the same problem, dealer said it wasn't covered under warranty, cost me $ 1,200.00 bucks

Old 11-29-2018, 06:47 PM
FSFT
New User
FSFT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mooreswm View Post
I have a 2015 F350 I had the same problem, dealer said it wasn't covered under warranty, cost me $ 1,200.00 bucks
The $189 just for them to pull the code is outrageous. And they wonder why folks don't bring in their vehicles. I hope mine is covered and they don't come up with a different issue than the code I pulled

Well the service manager called and said he was going to do his best to get my truck worked on tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM
tradosaurus
Senior User
tradosaurus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Before I spent $1200 I would spend the extra money to get my truck emissions deleted.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Only a P20BA was $1,200!? Are you in the USA or Canada? That repair is less than $900 at list prices with labor (I paid $840.82). Wow.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:11 AM
mooreswm
Freshman User
mooreswm is starting off with a positive reputation.
DEF Heater

I live in northern NV,I have a 4x4 and the tanks have the shields. I have sense found a reliable mechanic in the area that I will be using from now on. By the way I had to have the crankcase breather filter replaced but it was done under warranty, ford has extended the warranty on it.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 PM
rsgates
Freshman User
rsgates is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Chuck-B View Post
Iím still real curious why the stuff doesnít freeze overnight in fridge weather. My 250 sat for a couple days when the temperature didnít go above 10F this winter - no problem at all. I guess Iím going to have to do a test - pour some in a little bottle and leave it out. Probably wonít be this winter - not expecting the temperature to go below 10F again this year
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Your kitchen, garage, or basement freezer would be cold enough for a test with an ounce or two.

bruce...
Ok, so it freezes at 12F. Being this is my first DEF truck, and it was about -10 overnight when parked, what happened? I guess that it froze and expanded, and next morning when I started the truck I had up to 5 gallons of ice to thaw? Is that what happens every day all winter in cold weather?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
don't over fill. Use the ford filler spout so that it will shut off when full.

Yes it freezes but that should not throw a code. Just drive normally.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 AM
rhynoky
New User
rhynoky is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same issue on my 2015 F250. I live in KY so there was very little heater use. In my mind it is a bad design.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:35 PM
HDSlowride
Junior User
HDSlowride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Local dealer just replaced my DEF tank sending unit assembly after it threw a message a couple weeks ago of "diesel exhaust fluid fault". They replaced it, cleared my codes and while they had their ids hooked up to it, they added the gauge screen for "dpf full percentage". No charge.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 PM
mechelement
Postmaster
mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.
My Ď16 threw a CEL after I fueled up this morning. Sure enough itís this issue. Iím not pleased with the emissions issues Iíve had on this truck, at all. First the exhaust valve deal and now this. Iím at 68,800 miles. I have to drive this thing for a month before it can get in and fixed. Is driving it going to mess it up? Iím in Northern Colorado.

Does Ram and GM have these types of emissions issues? This is ridiculous IMHO.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:37 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I think you will be ok.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:05 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mechelement View Post
My Ď16 threw a CEL after I fueled up this morning. Sure enough itís this issue. Iím not pleased with the emissions issues Iíve had on this truck, at all. First the exhaust valve deal and now this. Iím at 68,800 miles. I have to drive this thing for a month before it can get in and fixed. Is driving it going to mess it up? Iím in Northern Colorado.

Does Ram and GM have these types of emissions issues? This is ridiculous IMHO.
I drove my truck for two months with the issue in late 2016 but that was an AL winter (so above freezing most of the time). I see it's a bit cooler in your area.

Yes, the others have emission system issues as well.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:20 AM
mechelement
Postmaster
mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.
Late yesterday, the CEL went away and it went through a regen. We are going on a road trip this morning and itís a brisk 19*F. Hoping for the best.

Why would the CEL go away? Because it warmed up outside?

Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mechelement View Post
Late yesterday, the CEL went away and it went through a regen. We are going on a road trip this morning and it’s a brisk 19*F. Hoping for the best.

Why would the CEL go away? Because it warmed up outside?

What is the specific DTC? Depending on the severity, the CEL will appear/clear but the DTC is most likely still active. The P20BA for the DEF heater/sender assembly will not impact active regeneration of the DPF since SCR is for a separate purpose.

For example, when my #5 fuel injector was failing, the DTC would remain but the CEL was off more than it was showing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford 6.7L DEF tank Heater - Excessive failure rates - P20BA

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: