2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New idea for ford trucks (or any pickup)

Old 02-09-2018, 04:52 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
I like the rear steer just fine on my John Deere X394 lawn tractor. The added cost and unproven reliability make this a non issue for me in my trucks.
In the dozen plus trucks I've owned in my life, this 2017 is by far the most capable and best looking. Sometimes well enough is good. No need to complicate matters.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:46 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by theboom

It really wouldn’t be that complicated and would make turning that much better and could do wonders for high speed stability especially when towing.
You do realize that nearly all of the system in use, and the old 'quadrasteer' systems are locked straight at speed right? Even as big as they are, today's trucks have all the maneuverability they need at speed, any increase just ups the roll over potential. As for stability while towing, unless you are thinking of using the rear steering to actively control trailer sway it will do the opposite, as you now have moving components (Can you say rear end death wobble). If you are thinking they could use the read steer to control sway, you are off on the costs, by orders of magnitude.

It is a novel concept, but it is expensive to implement, and even more so to maintain. Lots of manufacturers are dipping a toe in the market again, but I predict that in a few years, there will be a bunch of used cars on 'avoid at all costs' list for buyers.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 AM
whirledpeaz
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm envisioning this:

Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
You do realize that nearly all of the system in use, and the old 'quadrasteer' systems are locked straight at speed right? Even as big as they are, today's trucks have all the maneuverability they need at speed, any increase just ups the roll over potential. As for stability while towing, unless you are thinking of using the rear steering to actively control trailer sway it will do the opposite, as you now have moving components (Can you say rear end death wobble). If you are thinking they could use the read steer to control sway, you are off on the costs, by orders of magnitude.

It is a novel concept, but it is expensive to implement, and even more so to maintain. Lots of manufacturers are dipping a toe in the market again, but I predict that in a few years, there will be a bunch of used cars on 'avoid at all costs' list for buyers.
Nissan's HICAS system was all electronic. It only made minor changes in steering angle, primarily to improve high speed stability and "turn-in" for improved handling on their sports cars. It was not used to reduce turning radius. The steering angles were so small as to not require any additional tire clearance.

Honda's system, as installed on the Prelude, was purely mechanical and dependent on steering angle. At lower steering angles, as experienced at highway speeds, the rear tires turned the same direction as the fronts, to increase stability. At higher steering angles, as expected in low speed maneuvering (think parking lots), the rears turned in the opposite direction at much higher angles.

Both systems worked reasonably well but were complicated, expensive and not embraced by their customers. GM probably assumed that the truck market would embrace the technology for improved maneuverability, as depicted in their ads of the guy backing the trailer into a tight spot, but clearly didn't do adequate market research.

I know a couple of people who bought trucks with that system and loved it but said they didn't really miss it on the replacement trucks.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz
Actually, I'm testing a "rear steer" to prevent that with a 1/10th scale model car.

It's not rear steer as much as it's just a solid axle misalignment allowing a little rear steer. In an effort to reduce rear side bite, reduce traction rolling, and increase rotation. I doubt it'll scale up properly.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Tranz zam
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear steer is awful. The GM trucks were simple enough on paper, but in the rear world they became a headache for anyone who owned one. I cant tell you how many I've come across that don't work anymore. It's actually a pretty rare site to see a functional one.

If my truck is going to be 6" wider, it better have a long travel suspension under it!