1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F600

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Tom Searles
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 F600

Hi everyone. First post here. Thanks in advance as I've already found a wealth of information. The first thing I really took away was the concerns with the Firestone RH-5° Widowmakers. In fact, I've lost sleep over concern I could hurt someone (including myself) by keeping this wheels and second guessed buying the truck. I decided the fear was a good thing as it should make me more careful. The truck was delivered yesterday. I will limit driving to in-and-out of my barn until I feel she has some safe wheels on her.

I understand finding replacements is very difficult. Now I get to do the balance of safety/cost/appearance. And I could definitely use the help of the experts here. I have no issue with changing things (albeit I am definitely a novice and a realist, so I'll enlist help rather than muck something up myself... usually) and I'm not trying to make a numbers matching original. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what a good replacement set of wheels will be even if I have to replace other components (i.e. to get the right bolt pattern or fit over the brakes).

I found these today and like the look of them. Does anyone know what I need to check to see if they'll even fit? Also, can I go from a 5 bolt to 10 if the circumference is the same and just use every other bolt? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcoa-22-5-...-/332537187785. This listing was just a quick search so I'll definitely look for others too. I would like to keep the larger 22.5" wheels if possible.

I'll post some photos of the truck soon!
-Tom

Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom - Welcome to FTE! Glad you joined our group! Sorry for the delayed response. Normally we are quick to respond to these inquiries.

Don't lose sleep! Firstly, yes they're dangerous. But they're "mostly" dangerous when they've been taken apart and new rubber has been put on. That's why they were filled with air and pressurized in cages. If they are original on the truck, and the rubber has been on for years, they are less likely to just go. Others may differ on opinions. If you're really uncomfortable wrap a chain around the wheels and lock it while they're stored to prevent any blowouts from sending steel and rubber flying.

I believe your wheels should be 6-lug. And the 6-lug wheels are much easier to find than the 5 lug that's for sure. Keep your eyes open on Craigslist. Use SearchTempest.com to check other Craigslist regions at the same time.

Include a pic of your current wheels so we can help you out better.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Tom, welcome to FTE the best Ford Forum on the world wide Web!

Calvin and others are experts on widow makers. The others will be here soon to give advice. What we ask in return is that you show us pics of your F600 and let us know where you are located.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM
abuT
New User
Hi Calvin (it's me Tom). I decided I didn't want to use my Facebook to connect to this site so after that original post I created a forum only account. Regardless. Here are some photos of my 55 from above.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:58 AM
abuT
New User
Thanks Abe. Pics submitted (new to the forum so awaiting moderation) and I'm located in Brownsburg, IN a suburb just West of Indianapolis.

(Edit: I wonder if the admins know that quick replies don't require moderation.)

Last edited by abuT; 02-09-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Quick Reply immediately posted while other reply awaiting moderation.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Welcome Tom. Glad to have you join the group, and glad another big truck is being saved. I’ll agree that replacements for widow makers should be near the top of your “To Do” list. In 1955 the F-600 still had the 5 lug x 8” pattern wheels. There are no 10 lug wheels that will fit your hubs. You might have seen in your research that factory new 22.5” tubeless wheels are now available from places like Wheels Now in WI, and from other retailers. The other common replacement option is to find a set of the safer, that’s safer but still demanding respect, locking side ring style 20” wheels. These can still be found in older yards, or a few of us here also have sets available. You might list where you live, or complete the profile section in your UserCP section to allow guys to look it up. Stu

Our Legacy | Wheels Now Inc.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:01 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Safe replacement wheels are not that hard to find. Truckdog will weigh in soon and usually knows where a set can be had. In the meantime, run a drill bit into the center of the tread of the outside duals. When they are deflated, they are safe. The inside dual and the front will blow inward if the rim comes apart.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:02 AM
abuT
New User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
You might have seen in your research that factory new 22.5” tubeless wheels are now available from places like Wheels Now in WI, and from other retailers.
I had not seen that yet. I'll definitely look there!

Originally Posted by truckdog62563
The other common replacement option is to find a set of the safer, that’s safer but still demanding respect, locking side ring style 20” wheels. These can still be found in older yards, or a few of us here also have sets available. You might list where you live, or complete the profile section in your UserCP section to allow guys to look it up. Stu

Our Legacy Wheels Now Inc.
I'll update my profile accordingly. I did see the "safer" options which is what I was considering.

Thank you!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
I have a set of 6. I let another user know that I had them and he expressed interest but he's passing up on them. If you're interested please PM me. I can give you details.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by raytasch
In the meantime, run a drill bit into the center of the tread of the outside duals. When they are deflated, they are safe. The inside dual and the front will blow inward if the rim comes apart.
Ditto that.

I have a couple sets of 20s if that is the direction you want to go. Stu

Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM
abuT
New User
This is great. Thank you. Where can I see a photo of the 20’s. Just want to see what they look like versus the widow makers.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
This internal raised rim is what immediately identifies the widow maker. The safe rims don't have this.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
Well, the pictures just showed up for me.
Beautiful truck. 5 Star cab, but someone removed the lock from the drivers side.
It looks like he has the 5 lug wheels and not 6 lug.

A dump bed too. I want one of those.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I am sure Stu will ID the wheels on your truck but they appear to me to be lock ring and not widowmaker, at least on the outside rear.
Edit: Beautiful truck, BTW.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:08 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
There are several types (groupings) of locking side ring wheels. The first pictured below has a solid/unbroken side ring that is squeezed past the base rim during installation. This type pictured is a Firestone RH design, not to be confused with Calvin’s pictured RH-5°. These are still serviceable and safe to keep in service if undamaged. They take an experienced tech to service.

The other grouping consists of numerous different split side ring designs. Mostly Goodyear products. These are easier to service for obvious reasons. The split in the below picture is at the 9:00 position. Stu

Quick Reply: 55 F600