1987 Fleetwood Lynx and 2015 F250

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by kgburns
I started out years ago with a pop-up - wife hated it (tight quarters, no bath, very little storage space, etc) but she went camping with me just because I love camping. Then I moved up to a Class C on a GM chassis - had a small bath, a bit more storage, but pretty short on living space and she hated the overhead bed, but she went camping with me. The next one up was a little bigger Class C on a Ford chassis, with a real bed down low, but that cost some storage space and it was still a bit cramped in there, especially during rainy days, but she went camping with me.

I made another stab at it with a 27 foot fifth wheel, decent size bath, quite a bit more storage area but still kinda/sorta cramped, tight for two people to pass each other in the main walkway, but she went camping with me.

Upgraded to a 30 foot rear kitchen fifth wheel, one super slide - large bath, tons of storage and counter space, plenty of room for visitors, much larger refrigerator, tons of storage space in the basement - all of a sudden, she loves camping!

Currently we have a 32 foot rear kitchen, one super slide, one master bedroom slide, walk in shower, a real king size bed. Now she's always asking me when we can take our next trip. She has also gotten pretty adept at researching campgrounds near areas that she would like to see. We're at the point where I have to slow her down at times and remind her that while I am retired, there are things that have to be done around the farm and I need to be here at least part of the time.

We rarely take weekend trips, the majority of our trips are at least 8 days and we take two or three 15 day trips through the year.

Huummmm! I think he is trying to tell me something here! Wife has hinted several times about a larger camper. Bed on or near first floor would be nice, larger bath would be nice. Good news is that I am not brand new to this as the little camper we have has allowed me to learn about the mechanical aspects of how they work and function. (I sometimes roll out the awning every day in the summer , have the fridge stocked with cold water and maybe a beer or two. and when I take a break during the day I head for the shade and breeze under the awning).
We redid the kitchen and living room in the house last year , So I am not sure there is room in the budget for a new we larger fifth wheel? But you bring up some good points. The truck we have now would pull an midsized fiver pretty well, so maybe I will do some work. Reality is that I am not sure if I like to travel that much???? I am a hobby workshop, lawn mowing homebody. We live in farm country with 4 acres. and 200 on neighbors crops surrounding us. It generally feels like camping every day at home. So not sure I want to camp with my awning touching another camper? Still trying to sort things out in my own head.
Thanks for the suggestions. I know there are plenty of good used fifth wheels out there too! Suggestions are always welcome here.
Regards,
Chris

Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 AM
kgburns
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I was trying to tell you something. Lotsa 5ers out there with bedrooms over the hitch that aren't high enough to allow you to stand up (like my first one, maybe 5 feet) but at least you can turn over in the bed without hitting the ceiling. Most of those are sold as 1/2 ton towable.

I wouldn't camp anyplace where my awning would come close to touching the next camper over. We've been able to sort our way through campgrounds over the years and we're usually able to reserve sites at our favorite ones where there's no spots in front of us. Two are in Florida and when we step out the front door, we see the road, then some grass then nothing but water for at least three miles. Most places have pics and campground maps posted on the internet to check out before you decide to stay there, then I hang out on IRV2 forums and can always ask if someone else has stayed at a particular campground and get even more information about it.

I too have a hobby workshop, a hobby garage and a hobby farm, along with 3 rental places, so I've usually got something to do somewhere, but you can't beat camping once you figure out that when you get there and everything is all set up, it doesn't do you any good to worry about what should be or needs to be done back home, you can't do anything about it there at the camp, so you might as well just relax, see the sights and enjoy life.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Once your trailer is big enough to include a kitchen and a bathroom, you’ve got all the basic kit and have the same basic maintenance needs and failure points as the big campers. Slides add a bit more. It then comes down to finding that optimum size for you which balances interior comfort with towing/parking hassle.

Once the kids leave home, I know I’ll be very tempted to get a smaller fifth-wheel. I think our personal needs/wants at that point would be well served by something in the 26’ to 28’ range.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:46 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Thanks guys! This may help. We talked about it a little today, and may take a look at some larger units this fall.
Regards,
Chris

Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Folks,
Have a older Skyline (maybe a Fleetwood?) fifth wheel camper to look at near by. It is so much bigger than ours looks like a behemoth!
SunnyBoy and I were camping in the back yard today, as I did dog sitting duties.

Name:  84rWALn.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  74.2 KB

Regards,
Chris

Old 08-01-2018, 06:02 AM
kgburns
Senior User
Sunnyboy looks like a camera hog! Good looking dog (and what would we do without them?) Good luck on the other 5er, but remember to check everything on a used camper before you buy, lotsa places for hidden problems to pop up later on,.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
kg, and folks,
Yes I am sure there are many possible issues with a used camper. I have looked at the exterior of this one and see many small details that need attention. Paint lower color is a ugly flesh colored faded tone! It would fit in with most of the other old stuff I drag home. I think I have enough basic information now to ask the right questions and or look for things that may need fixed too. It has one slide out that the mechanism looks like it has a lot of surface rust. I think this would have to be in the under $4K range to even consider.
Checklist:
Hitch
Frame
Electrical exterior lights/ function
Jacks
Levelers
Roof, repairs/ leaks?
Brakes
Tires
Slide out function
Electrical inside
Air
Fridge
Floors
Window functions
Water system/ pump
Other???

Thanks for checking on me! Yea Sunnyboy is a keeper!
Regards,
Chris

Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Folks,
I did a walk through on this Nomad by Skyline fifth wheel. Layout would probably work. Defiantly bigger. Some pictures.
I didnt get the length but about 28 feet?
Name:  Kiu6dTr.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  pI44cvB.jpg
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  CviK2Ay.jpg
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  z20ustu.jpg
Size:  57.6 KB

bump out area
Name:  ZbOWzo5.jpg
Size:  79.2 KB

Everything needs some attention. I did not get into any real details. Has Goodyear tires about 50% tread.

Name:  9rXZC55.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

Regards,
Chris

Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 AM
kgburns
Senior User
Now you're talking! Looks good and appears to have quite a bit more storage space than the one you have, nice long awning. Did you do a good inspection to make sure no visible leaks, no major problems with the big items (AC, fridge, water system plumbing, electrical 12 volt and 110)? Bathroom area got enough room ? Check the date code on the tires, while they may look good, they may have aged out, take it for a test pull if you can, see how it does.

You get something like that, especially with the higher ceiling in the bedroom area and the increased floor space because of the super slide, I don't think you or your wife will have any problems with claustrophobia and you'll be dying to do more camping.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Couple other random shots:

head:
Name:  Ggqj4RT.jpg
Size:  44.2 KB

storage:
Name:  9WtCrAH.jpg