We'll, I did it! I'm now an owner of a Ford F-150! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We'll, I did it! I'm now an owner of a Ford F-150!

Old 02-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Freshman User

XL Denali is starting off with a positive reputation.
We'll, I did it! I'm now an owner of a Ford F-150!

Everything came together today and I think I got a heck of a deal on a 2012 Supercrew XLT 5.0!
I'm new to Ford. What do I need to know? Any tips or tricks? What do you like about yours? What features do you use that I might not know about?
I'll have to get some good pics when it's a little warmer and not like a blizzard outside.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Freshman User

I can't seem to attach a pic from my phone.
I'm really liking it so far though. Feels solid and more quiet than my '04 Yukon XL Denali. I guess it should since it's 8 years newer and half as many miles. Haha...
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Senior User

tuckr2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to the forum. You will come to love your truck. Quiet, comfortable, and more than capable. Just traded my 2011 F150s with 5.0 for a shiny new 2018 with 3.5. Love the power and torque if this baby but admittedly I looked for another 5.0 just couldnít find one equipped as I wanted. Not unhappy with the choice though.
One thing I miss from the older model was fuel gal/used digital indicator. The newer truck only gives me that in miles to empty. No significant things come to mind but you chose a good place to get any info when you have specific questions.
Best of luck in your new truck.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Elder User

Green Power is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Congratulations, post some pictures!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Posting Guru

zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
I've had great luck with mine. I'm right at 97,000 miles. I've done a lot of work on it but mostly just accessories and upgrades. The only repair work I can think of off the top of my head is swapping out some leaky radiator connections. It's got great power and is very quiet. I loved my two mid-90's F250's, 1/2 ton Chevy, and Dodge, but this is the best truck I've owned by far.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Freshman User

Here She is! I'm Loving it so far! Just need some step bars. Wife's not totally sold. It's a little too high. lol

Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Freshman User

It sits just a tad higher than my Yukon XL Denali. LOL

I'm curious what kind of mpg's I'm getting as the speedo hasn't been recalibrated per the previous owner. I was hoping for better than the old 6.0 AWD. Any idea an approximate difference from stock to a 34" tire?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Senior User

tuckr2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check locally for running boards. Craigslist is a great place to start. As to the tires and wheels they will definitely be off. A good gps will give you mph and an idea how far off. Actually up to a bit over 32 inches I found on my 2011 it actually made mine accurate on odometer and calculated fuel vs the liargauge. From stock tires are around 30.5 ish so it’s probably about 8% difference. There are tire calculators available online and probably in this site.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Posting Guru

I'll go see who made mine in a few. They're 3 or 4 inch stainless steel tubes with black powdercoat. They look good and will never rust. I purchased them shortly after I picked up the truck because my wife, who is also a shorty, immediately grumbled about the height. It's my truck so doesn't really matter if she likes it or not but having the steps offered a great side benefit I found the day after bolting them on.

I was walking back to my truck after doing some shopping and saw someone park beside me, fling open their door and instead of it bouncing off my door, it bounced off the steps. I had a good laugh and when I got home, looked down the side of the truck and noticed the steps are a couple inches wider than the widest part of the sheet metal. Instant protection from door dings!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Posting Guru

Click here!

Those are what I went with. There appears to be a newer version that is smoother and shinier. I prefer the flat, crinkle finish.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Junior User

SoonerLS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My folks had Ares running boards/step bars on their '14 SuperCrew (they looked like the one in the picture above, but chromed). They were OK, but they didn't feel as solid as the factory running boards on my '13. Part of that may have been the difference between SuperCrew and Regular Cab lengths, though.

ETA: I don't want that to sound negative on the Ares bars; they seemed like a fine product.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Posting Guru

WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine is on 33" tires and over the last 9,500 miles my average is 13.5 MPG. These trucks are not good on fuel, regardless of engine. It's because they are pigs. By this generation of F150, they were easily going 6,000 lbs. That's one of the big reasons Ford decided to put the truck on a major diet for 2015.

What I like about it? All the room. And the ruggedness of the truck. Ford builds trucks more heavy duty than GM or Ram. The 5.0 is strong too.

What I don't like about it? Weight, prone to rust, issues with engines, issues with transmission, rattles on gravel roads, electric steering prone to failure, terrible fuel economy, need to be 7'3" to reach the oil dipstick, battery management system sucks.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't know this thing had 34's when I was inquiring about it. I figured they were 33's. Oh well. He also has 300 lbs of weight in the back. That can't be helping. I was going to take some out today but I'll have to wait for a warmer day that is above freezing because the bags of pea gravel are frozen to the bed. Lol
One thing I found that I'm not too keen on with my new truck is the backup lights. They aren't very bright. Anyone upgrade? Does just a light bulb change fix the issue or do you go another route or just deal with it?
Thanks again for your comments.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Posting Guru

CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey nice truck man
Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Posting Guru

The factory reverse lighting is basically nonexistant. I had enough dragging the brakes when backing up so I could see and installed these: