2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Yes again another 6.2 or 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:41 PM
homerj
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes again another 6.2 or 6.7

Hi there,
So I’m just about to order a new truck and want the 6.7 but nervous.
I have an late build 04 6.0. Yea it had a lot of issues is fine now but I like the way it drives motor wise. I have an stock sct tow tune on it and pulls my 5000 pound enclosed trailer great through the pass. It only has 92000 miles on it so don’t drive it much and had to put new turbo on last year due to rusted vanes (know issues)
It gets 10 towing and 12 no tow and normal driving. So about the same as a newer 6.2 from what I have read.

So I told my self I’m buying a 6.2 this time. It’s the safe bet but... I test drove it and felt unfulfilled. I’m so used to the power of my 6.0 and where it drives rpm wise. I’m just so worried about buying it and having a time when I say to myself (man my old truck did better). I dont see myself gettiing a bigger trailer but wife does want to get a double bunk house travel trailer (I dont).

I drove the 6.7 and all felt right again. But I’m not going to drive it much and not tow heavy. My kids race bmx and most places are 1hr to 6 hrs away but any other time I drive it would be short trips to stores. Everybody says this is the wrong thing to do to a diesel (sit and short drives) But is this just hearsay and rumor? My 6.0 has never left me stranded but has had a ton of issues.

I find 6.2 section seams to have bunch of packwolf diesel haters so hard to get a neutral opinion. And have read the 2017 superduty section 200 titles in and back. The 6.7 is just about $10000 more then the 6.2 I built at dealer due to needing to get the 20” wheels for the 3.55 and the supplement heater/double altanater. I’m looking at getting only 295/65/20 tires this time and level at most if i even do.

I’m almost 50 and had my last truck about 15 years so this might be my last truck....So am I crazy to go 6.7? My gut and heart say 6.7 my brain says 6.2 I’m thinking I’m going to stay positive and not worry about it, has a 5 year warranty and if have issues in that time get ride of it at 5. I have USAA and the say I can get an exstended warrenty at that time if it was under 100000 and would be and in our state right now newer diesel dont do emission (mine does though) so could delete down rode if the emission stuff stated breaking down. But dont want to be putting $1000’s into down road (Over $4000 last year on my 6.0)

I guess if I listen to the propaganda online all diesels suck in your not a 10000# towing machine. Yet by far they out number gas here 10 to 1. The dealer (biggest in Washington Oregon Idaho) only has one gas (non work) and ever other one is diesel.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Old 02-04-2018, 04:48 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Naw, not crazy ... just overthinking it. I won't tell you which one to buy, just buy the one you want or you'll have many thousand dollars worth, and many months of buyer's remorse. Don't let others decide for you.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:53 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
You aren't crazy. Buy what YOU want. Reliability came back to Ford diesels with the 6.7. The stuff that has the potential to give you grief can be removed. But, they are pretty reliable with the emissions intact. Short trips aren't great for them. That is just the way it is. For me, I value the torque of the oil burner enough that I would take her out for a good, long highway drive every once in awhile to keep her happy. That's just me though.

The 6.2 is a great engine also. You will get the "you can buy a lot of gas" comments with the price difference in the powertrains and all the other arguments that will come with it. But at the end of the day, buy what will put a smile on your face every time you get in it to drive. For me, that would be a 6.7

Old 02-04-2018, 04:54 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I went through the "last truck thing" before I pushed the order button. It took me a couple of weeks to sort it out, but the button I pushed had "gasser" written on it...ZERO regrets!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 PM
nosualc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes you gotta get what you want, not what you need. And give -0- f's about what other people think.

(I had a similar debate with myself, except I'll plow with mine. I got a 6.7)

Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by homerj
I’m almost 50 and had my last truck about 15 years so this might be my last truck.
So you plan on dying at age 65?

And just because you kept your last truck for 15 years does not mean that you have to keep your next truck for 15 years.

Buy with your heart. Go have some fun before it is too late! Remember, you only have 15 more years to live.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Plankerman
New User
I just went through the same thing. Spent 6 months reading every opinion looking for the “right” answer. The truck is not my daily driver and will be used to pull a 6500 lb trailer. The 6.2 will obviously do the job, but the 6.7 would be more fun with only a little more risk and expense. I am fortunate enough to be able to pay cash for whichever truck I buy. In the end I went with a leftover 17 6.2 ccsb lariat. It was 19k cheaper than the 18 6.7 I was considering and if I’m not satisfied I’ll upgrade in a couple of years, meanwhile I think the diesel technology will only continue to improve. In the end there’s no “right” choice. Good luck

Old 02-04-2018, 05:02 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
I'd never recommend that someone who wants a diesel buys a gas engine. Brother, buy the truck that makes you happy when you drive it.

If you do get gas, get the numerically highest gears.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:18 PM
cattaco
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very happy with my 6.2. But I don't know what you want.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Fence

I was in the same fence.
For me, Gasser was the right choice.
For my younger son, 6.7 was the way to go.
You can listen to all the opinions of others, and some will have valid points on both sides.
Believe me you will get multiple opinions about the "Only way to go" on these forums.
In the end, the only opinion that matters is yours.
You need not justify it to anybody.

(Except perhaps your wife if you are married !)

I am certain you will love your truck, regardless.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
You said it yourself, you were disappointed driving the 6.2L until you drove the 6.7L... imagine that disappointment Everytime you get in your truck.

I think you know which one you want. Yes you spend more to get the diesel, but you get more when you sell it too. I know what I'd get if I were in your shoes.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford doesn’t make it an easy decision. Both engines are so good! I have an 04 6.0 that I bought new too so I know what kind of issues you’ve dealt with for the last 14 years. I intend to keep my next truck just as long so after much thought, I ordered a 6.2. It just felt like I’d have a better chance of getting to 14 years with the gas truck this time. I also got rid of the heavy boat I bought the 6.0 to pull and replaced it with a 5000lb travel trailer so I figure the 6.2 with 4.30’s will make easy work of that. The cost savings is just icing on the cake!

I agree with others though, you should definitely get what you want! After considering all the angles I can honestly say I want the 6.2 more than I wanted the 6.7. If the two were equally priced I’d still have come to the same decision. Truck is being built next week so give me a couple of months and I’ll let you know If was right or not!

Read all the opinions on the web but in the end my advice is..... Go with your gut! It’s never wrong!

Old 02-04-2018, 07:12 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Are you buying a brand new truck because it makes great financial sense, or because it’s what you want? If you’re buying it because you want it, you better damn well make sure it’s what you want!

Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 PM
chickfisher69
Junior User
All I can say is always owned gas trucks and than bought a 2010 ford diesel used , I loved the pulling power of the truck and how quiet the engine was and it didn’t rev up when pulling . I only drive it around 8000 miles a year pulling a boat or just to drive after work.it started to have some problems,not from sitting. So I got scared that it would turn into a problem truck so I ordered a 2016 f250 ultimate lariat 6.2 gas truck because I was scared of the diesel. I loved the truck except I did not like how loud and how the engine raced and would always be in the 4-5500 rpm range and it would constantly down shift under any load. So my wife hated so much that behind my back she went to the dealer and found the truck she wanted which was a ultimate platinum and called me to go there and there it was a diesel platinum it has so much power and so quiet and when pulling it never down shifts never races it just pulls.I bought it in may and it only has 2900 miles and my mechanic says don’t worry it has a warranty to fix what ever breaks and there good engines. That all I can tell you about gas and diesel. I have owned both and my friend did the same diesel gas missed diesel and went back for the same reasons.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:25 PM
homerj
Senior User
Originally Posted by jschira
So you plan on dying at age 65?

And just because you kept your last truck for 15 years does not mean that you have to keep your next truck for 15 years.

Buy with your heart. Go have some fun before it is too late! Remember, you only have 15 more years to live.
Awesome reply😂😂😂👍👍👍

Quick Reply: Yes again another 6.2 or 6.7