Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil Pressure

Old 02-04-2018, 07:00 AM
yasky69
Senior User
yasky69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No Oil Pressure

5.4 305k
This truck has made me a lot of money and body is perfect do I have every intention to fixing the problem.

Shut it down a few nights ago and was fine. Went to start it and saw no oil pressure on gauge and the light was on. So I shut it down. Checked for leaks and the level. No problems. Started back up and you could tell it wasn't getting oil just by the sound from the engine. A day later got it into the heated garage. I changed the oil sender and no changes, engine sound got s lot worse. So I'm under the assumption the oil pump failed. Truck sat for 5 hrs in the garage and I went to move it outside, started it and it has oil pressure and sounds normal.
What do I do now? Change the oil pump?

Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.
The suction screen is likely plugged with the fuzzy plastic remains of the timing chain guides. Plan on replacing them, along with the chains, tensioners, phasers and VCT solenoids. Frankly at 305,000 mi. I'd give serious thought to a replacement engine. It'd be a shame to do a full timing set/oil pump and then have it spin a bearing (or some other mechanical catastrophe) shortly thereafter. That's a lot of miles.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:13 AM
yasky69
Senior User
That's exactly what I'm wondering as well. If it may be best to rebuid or get a reman

Old 02-04-2018, 11:49 AM
1saxman
Posting Guru
1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.1saxman has a good reputation on FTE.
Most likely a clogged pick-up screen as they said but strange how it improved after being warmed up in the garage, almost like there was condensation in the oil and it froze outside and melted inside. I don't think I would replace the engine without knowing what happened, although its almost a 'no-brainer' with that mileage.
Short trips in freezing weather along with a non-working PCV system could cause a water build-up in the oil pan.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:14 PM
yasky69
Senior User
This truck runs at least 8-9 hrs a day. Makes day trips to NYC from Albany. A 3-4 hour drive one way. Almost everyday, so it doesn't sit at all.
Now today, I started it an no pressure. then the pressure came up only to go back to nothing.

My mechanic that I use sometimes when I don't feel like making repairs tested the compression a month ago. All cyl were at 150 or above. Noticed the plugs were in bad shape and a lot of carbon build up in the emissions. He recommended doing a oil flush using a 4 step system using a product from Four Brothers . I agreed to let him do it. I can't help but think it freed up a bunch of crap and some was left in there clogging the pick up tube... just a thought

Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by yasky69 View Post
This truck runs at least 8-9 hrs a day. Makes day trips to NYC from Albany. A 3-4 hour drive one way. Almost everyday, so it doesn't sit at all.
Now today, I started it an no pressure. then the pressure came up only to go back to nothing.

My mechanic that I use sometimes when I don't feel like making repairs tested the compression a month ago. All cyl were at 150 or above. Noticed the plugs were in bad shape and a lot of carbon build up in the emissions. He recommended doing a oil flush using a 4 step system using a product from Four Brothers . I agreed to let him do it. I can't help but think it freed up a bunch of crap and some was left in there clogging the pick up tube... just a thought
I think you have your answer. P.S. -- Get a new mechanic. I can't believe anybody would attempt a flush on a 300K motor.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:39 PM
brokenleg
Posting Guru
brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.brokenleg has a good reputation on FTE.

Pretty much probably happened. probably opened a can of worms. flushing a high mileage engine does more harm than good..........

Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
That's exactly what I'm wondering as well. If it may be best to rebuid or get a reman
Since it's a money making workhorse treat it right and fix it right. A remanufactured engine will last much longer versus a used one so don't even think of going that route and going with a remanufactured one will get the truck up and running much faster than rebuilding it. A couple of days instead of a few weeks.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM
redfishtd
Elder User
redfishtd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would at least clear the oil pick up

yes a flush at that point was a bad idea . In cold country you can get a lot of condensation in motor . Drop the pan and see if plastic in oil pick up . It may have blown the tensioners seal and ate the guides . Depending on what you find and how much sludge ?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:58 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to all
how about draining the oil and letting it set to see what washes out the bottom... I might be tempted to take an air line with a tube on the end and push up into the drain and blow it around... maybe put in 3-4 quarts of oil ( used if its clean) and crank it over for several seconds, then drain and see if anything comes back out... You said it ran and was quiet after it momentarily lost pressure ? Ii have my doubts, but it might be worth $20 oil and an hour to run this FLUSH test/

Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 AM
yasky69
Senior User
I think I'm gonna drain the oil just to see if there is anything in it.
I'll probably end up getting a remanufactured engine for it and install it in the long run.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:49 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Time to update this. I had a chance today to pull the drain plug, nothing came out. So I pulled the oil filter. OMG I've never seen black jello until now. Oil makes gear oil look very thin. So... I put a filter on, 3 qts of oil in it an fired it up. Got oil pressure and the engine sounded ok. So I'd like to save this. I'm thinking getting it back in a heated garage and cycle several oil changes thru it. Is it worth trying? and recommendations on how you would try to flush it clean of all this crap?
thanks

Old 02-16-2018, 08:05 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to all
where did the CRAP come from ? Why was there no oil in the motor ? Has the oil been neglected for 10,000 miles ? I would fill it up, drive 100 miles, drain and inspect... Determine from there if you need to do another 100 miles or 1000 miles before change.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
or if your saying I has 4-5 quarts of GOO in the motor, then heat it up and drain when hot... Then refill and run 20 miles and drain when HOT and inspect what comes out... When it starts to look decent, then go 1000 miles.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Its a goo, got a good look thru the drain on the oil pan as well. Its gotta be filled with this and wont drain. Thats why I'm thinking getting it in a heated garage first and let it thin up a bit before pushing the motor. Its has to be from the left over crap when the mechanic talked me into a flush using a 3 step system from 4 brothers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Oil Pressure

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.