How Do "We" Pay for These Toys? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

How Do "We" Pay for These Toys?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
While I bought my first fifth wheel new as a newbie and a 180 month finance (I know, I know), the next will probably be used as I am not afraid of doing that now.
Here is a kicker though, I was pricing the Keystone Avalanche 320rs and the 2018 prices range from 44,995 to 74,339. Almost 30,000 difference in the same RV, possibly different options, but $30K?

Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
While I bought my first fifth wheel new as a newbie and a 180 month finance (I know, I know), the next will probably be used as I am not afraid of doing that now.
Here is a kicker though, I was pricing the Keystone Avalanche 320rs and the 2018 prices range from 44,995 to 74,339. Almost 30,000 difference in the same RV, possibly different options, but $30K?
Diesel engine and platinum trim?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Irelands child
Posting Guru
Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
Interesting thread
This being second marriage for both of us started at ground zero about 26 years ago as far as RVs. In my previous life had owned several. Jump ahead, we started with a dinky slide in truck camper, traded up for a 19 foot TT then a 27 foot TT. After that a big leap to a slightly used Glendale Titanium 5er that the dealer wanted to sell at any price. Now we have the 2014 Montana HC. In this batch of RV upgrades, we never lost a nickle, always selling or trading for more then what our purchase price had been. Our $$K Montana ended up pretty dang cheap. The tow vehicles, well let's say that I did well on trades, but the current one is best - a spotless F250CCLB diesel with camper and 5er options. We are both retired, we both socked away as many dollars as we could while working and either paid cash for these toys or paid off a loan within 6-12 months. These loans were using someone elses money but keeping our higher earning savings intact.

I feel for the folks that just can't afford to pay cash or only have small loans. Maybe they should look for other ways to enjoy their leisure time as horrendous payments on a TV and an RV are not a good way to live.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 PM
wyomingbs
Junior User
wyomingbs is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm only 41 have no debt except for my mortgage. I have a 1997 f250 hd and a 22' 1995 terry 5er. So old and used is a big part of how I pay for them. We paid cash for them and shopped for great deals. Both the trailer and truck can be tight at times with all 4 of us and sometimes we even have gma along. But we still have lots of fun.

No payments lets us save aggressively for our future and our kids' futures.

We are also very close to camping destinations that lots of folks spend days driving to and years dreaming about.

I'm guilty of a little truck and trailer envy in campgrounds, but no where near to spend that kind of money at this stage of my life.

Cool thread.

url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Old 02-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Effies 56
Senior User
Effies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by wyomingbs View Post
I'm only 41 have no debt except for my mortgage. I have a 1997 f250 hd and a 22' 1995 terry 5er. So old and used is a big part of how I pay for them. We paid cash for them and shopped for great deals. Both the trailer and truck can be tight at times with all 4 of us and sometimes we even have gma along. But we still have lots of fun.

No payments lets us save aggressively for our future and our kids' futures.

We are also very close to camping destinations that lots of folks spend days driving to and years dreaming about.

I'm guilty of a little truck and trailer envy in campgrounds, but no where near to spend that kind of money at this stage of my life.

Cool thread.

url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Nice Truck and camper. Good comments/ suggestions on costs and approaches to this hobby/ lifestyle!
Regards,
Chris

Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM
finn
Elder User
finn has a good reputation on FTE.finn has a good reputation on FTE.
I could pay cash for any rig I wanted, within reason, but that’s not how we live, and is how I was able to retire nine years ago at 59.

Instead, about two years ago, we decided to buy a fifth wheel and tow vehicle and spend the winter in Texas. We found an older, but higher quality, in its day, Carridge Carri-lite fiver and an 05 Super Duty F350 crew cab dually . The trailer was less than $8k and the truck was $4500.

We have towed the trailer about 6000 miles and spent four months living in Texas, as well as multiple trips within Michigan and Wisconsin.

What we have in the rig is less than the depreciation of a new rig, and we have so little money tied up that we have no problems budgeting a month long trip to Europe this March.

Our rig certainly isn’t the flashiest, and i’d Like a Diesel instead of the three valve v10, but it’s all about priorities, in my opinion.

Our next truck will be a low trim level Ram 3500 Cummins, simply because I can get a truck that will do the job at FCA employee cost.

We’all probably keep the old fifth wheel for at least one more winter, probably four months in Arizona. We looked at new trailers a few weeks ago, but none seemed as solid as what we have, as dated as the thing is.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:56 PM
cay5628
Elder User
cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.
Finn,

Whereabouts in Texas? We like Port Aransas, I'm headed there this week, trying to beat the spring break crowd.

Mark

Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 PM
finn
Elder User
finn has a good reputation on FTE.finn has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cay5628 View Post
Finn,

Whereabouts in Texas? We like Port Aransas, I'm headed there this week, trying to beat the spring break crowd.

Mark
Waco, Georgetown, Victoria, Port Lavaca, North Padre, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, and many points in between.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 PM
cay5628
Elder User
cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.
Finn,

Hope to see you out there sometime. I'll be working my way down from the I40 area, down into Killeen, to look at our rental property, then Boerne/San Antonio, then on down to Mustang Island/Port Aransas.

Safe Travels.
Mark

Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 PM
superrangerman2002
Postmaster
superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.
Don’t kid yourself..rv and truck financing is a big business. I mean who wouldn’t want a 8 year truck note and a 20 year rv note?

A good majority of those new fancy rigs are on 8 and 20 yr notes...don’t kid yourself.

I try to find the 1-2 year old new gems that are hard movers for auto and rvs and go that way if I want new.

I bought my brand new 16’ f350 last fall this way and traded my ‘12 F250 on it. Out the door price was over $20k less than comparable 17.

In one year my new 16 will be paid off with less than 20k mi on it. Best part is it should last long enough to skip the latest generation of SD trucks.

I did did something similar with my Fiver last year. It will be free and clear in 3 yrs.

Previous Fiver we had for 10 years.

If you don’t mind not keeping up with the joneses and are willing to sift through many dealer lots you can make it a go on the “new” old stuff.

Also there is lots of good deals on like new rvs as well.

The rest of my toys are older items I have fixed up and keep maintained. My newest toy is an ‘08 ranger. Powersports are crazy dollars for what you use them in time.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Mike E.
Junior User
Mike E. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timely thread for me to stumble upon.
We just downsized from a single family home to a townhouse and were able to clear all of your debts except for our mortgage, which we are making extra payments on now.....within 4 years until it's clear.
At just about 49, retirement for me is anywhere from 6 to 10 years.
Dear wife's health is becoming a concern, so she might not be able to work until 55.

We purchased an '18 5th wheel that we are on the 20 year plan. Easy payments that can be added to, which is our plan.

Now, with wifey-poo's employment future a bit on the unknown side I am seriously considering selling our new trailer and clearing that debt. We are not upside down on that loan thank goodness, but it would be a bit of a hit having us essentially losing our down-payment to depreciation.

Our '14 Ram 3500 (boooooo I can hear )is paid for, so my thinking is that I will sell it and use the funds from it to get a truck/trailer combo.
Been doing some 'searching' around, and with my expectations in check it looks like it could be done.
We've purchased a used RV before, so I'm well aware of what to look for, and therefore not too afraid of the prospect.

To some it might seem like a crazy move, but as life throws curveballs one has to react.

The end result would be:

-no RV payment......and with that, dear wife not feeling obligated to slog it out with her job.
-still able to get out camping

Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM
defekticon
Senior User
defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
Let me start by clearly stating that I'm not passing any judgment or trying to start any fights. I'm just curious...

So, a loaded F350 diesel and a nice big fifth wheel add up to $150K (more?). Then there are after-purchase expenses for registration, insurance, maintenance and repairs, property taxes, fuel, campground fees, and the endless list of other “necessities”, improvements, and upgrades.

How do “we” pay for these things? My wife and I are retired with a comfortable income (more than we need, but the usual "less than we'd like"), and we own our home. We have notes on our two vehicles, but we carry no credit card debt. Our net out-of-pocket cost to buy the new truck (after trade-ins), a gently used slide-in camper, and necessary hardware was ~$55K. That amount is manageable, but we did have to think about it before hitting the “Go” buttons.

So, what sort of financial model(s) and/or lifestyle choices are involved in making such a large purchase? For example, did “we” downsize and use home equity, do “we” carry big notes for long periods, did “we” use an inheritance, are “we” spending our kids' inheritance, are “we” full-timing”, do "we" have a reverse mortgage, or what?

Again, I'm just curious, and I'm fine with general answers.

Thanks!
Jim / crewzer
My rant on this... seems in line with other folks.

Kids inheritance LOL. Never believed in that. I grew up part of a blue-collar family in a white collar town. Seen enough entitlement among my peers to get my own ideas on how not to raise kids. You keep what you earn, and you go to college and work at the same-time like everyone else. Community college, then finish at a state school with no debt. I'll provide free room and board as long as you commit. I have four boys, the oldest is about to graduate high-school this spring. That's my college savings plan I've offered each one of them. Nothing in life is free and that's a lesson most kids need to learn sooner. I paid my own way through college and made it through without debt.

Which leads me to the next part, I earned my truck, trailer and motorcycles with 20 years of busting my *** in IT, going to college and working, to get where I am today. I don't take money out of my home equity or retirement for toys and I pay for my truck and trailer with a note and low interest rates. I buy used for trucks and I made the dealer beat my credit union on interest rates (I got a new car interest rate on a used F-350...) and usually buy used for RV's but my current I bought new. I probably won't do that again given the problems I had with my dealer. Figured I'd give it a shot after buying a few used ones and dealing with used problems, but lesson learned... Dealer service and warranty is not worth the extra cost and depreciation until the industry gets a serious overhaul anyway.

The justification for an RV for us was something we could do with the kids that didn't involve getting on a plane or sitting around the house. Half of our family lives 1100 miles away. FWIW our rig was inexpensive enough that I'm on a seven year plan with the RV.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 AM
Geno C
Senior User
Geno C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Geno C is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My situation is a bit different... I live in my 5er with my family from May till September. I'm in by myself for about a month before and after that. I don't buy new trucks out of principle but to get what I want I have to pretty much buy new for the trailer. My truck is out on the lowest rate I could get, didn't matter the term because I keep it too long. Trailer is always a 120 month to keep winter payments down in case I need that and we always pay off early.

My boys are like one of you above, they will earn everything they get just like I did. They can live at home while a full time student if they choose to go that route or I will help them with labor to build a place of their own. They will inherit my toys when I'm gone but there won't be a pile of $$ there.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:51 PM
Fosters
Posting Guru
Fosters is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
6 years ago i bought a house for 137k; put 20% down and financed over 15 years. I ended up selling last year, made about 110k profit. That paid for the downpayment on the new house (which is slightly bigger), some home improvements, added a 30x40 garage, paid off the truck - which was in payments at the time and had 33k left on it, and bought the 5th wheel - it was almost brand new, 39ft palomino puma, stickers still on it, 31k (private sale, no tax). I am fairly happy with the financial move - basically I have the dually and the 5th wheel paid off, a badass garage, for about the same what the old house and truck payment were. Sure, that truck payment had 4 years left on it and the new house has 15 years, but the point is, I'm pretty sure this will go up in value as well - especially after the added garage, and will fetch a hefty profit if I ever do move out of here.

basically, choose your priorities; I have a sister that values big shiny homes - lives in a 1.3 mil dollar house and drives a beat up 1999 mustang v6; I have friends that value bars/going out and live in smaller homes and drive crappier cars; and I have the opposite end of the spectrum - a friend that has a Tesla but lives with his parents well in his 30s.. For me, I prioritize cars, but within reason... that's why my truck is an XL and not a platinum king gold plated ranch limited shelby edition

Old 03-04-2018, 11:28 AM
bluestroke 2004
Freshman User
bluestroke 2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am with you wyoming. We have a clean used fifth wheel and is pulled by used f-250 6.0 diesel that I have had for over ten years.
I also will admire all the shiny new RVs and trucks and wonder what would it be like but, then I remember my used "stuff" is paid for.
We have just as much fun in our RV as the guy next to us in their 100,000 dollar unit, when I realize that I am good !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Do "We" Pay for These Toys?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.