Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No start, HOLY CODES BATMAN!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Okay, how about sharing that logfile. See what is shutting down.

Almost sounds like a fuel issue.

There is a check valve in the center post of the fuel bowl. Push down on that center a bit and make sure it isn't stuck. Many of us gut that post to avoid it.

When is the last time you cleaned your fuel filter bowl? A sandy grit builds up in the bottom over time.

If you're up to it, pull your filter, the fuel heating element, and the pedestal.

Go ahead and gut that center pedestal- but remember, you can never turn your truck key on with the cap off your fuel bowl again LOL. If you can handle that responsibility, you're golden

Use a syringe, mighty vac, whatever to suck the fuel and debris out of the bowl.

Do you have a way to check fuel pressure?

I'm thinking either your ICP is tanking (for real, not just the sensor because it happens when the sensor is unplugged), or you're not getting proper fuel flow and/or pressure.

You said it is 52F, so it's cool, but nowhere near cold enough the fuel would be a problem and although thicker, the oil...well, let's rule that out by plugging in your block heater for at least 2 hrs before you try starting it again.

That should help rule out glowplugs and thick oil/tire injectors.

You *could* have a sticky injector that is getting open and sticking, causing all your ICP to face plant.

CPS could be dying, so log your rpms, make sure it is getting the signal. Do you have RPM gauge on the dash? If so, is it moving when you crank and she starts for moment?

You're pulling data from the PCM, right? If so, it is getting power, so not the fuse.

IDM...but it does fire at least once to get that initial start.

How long does it run before it dies?

Still have less likely things like plugged exhaust, plugged intake...

What about wiring? Have you had the wiring off your starter solenoid (or anywhere else) recently? If you don't get all the wires back on in the right place, you could have power only when the solenoid engages (cranking the starter)

Can you get us some pics of the starter solenoid and wiring?

Getting there....

Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
...and now on my computer instead of phone, I can see in your signature that it has been a while since you've seen your fuel bowl LOL.

With a RR, you should have a gauge, right? Can you tell us what it is reading and maintaining? Try it first KOEO until the pump shuts off, then repeat while starting and until it stalls.

Have you tried it without your tuner, or in stock mode?

Old 02-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Shattered
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, it's been a while since I've seen fuel bowl. LOL. KOEO I have 70k PSI, after pump shuts down it bleeds pressure off quick. I did find a fuel leak and I need to just re-do fuel lines, so I ordered stainless braided hose and crimp fittings. that should cure the fuel issue. I started truck and had have it at half throttle to keep it running, pretty sure it's the fuel issue, I must be getting air in to the lines.
to answer the rest of the questions, I'll do my best.
yes it will start, but dies immediately if throttle isn't held half open.
put a new cps in yesterday, yes it is motorcraft.
I haven't touched starter since I've owned truck. and all connections were tight when I checked them earlier.
Have batteries on charger again so I have a full charge to try again tomorrow.
Fuel leak caused whole valley to have an inch of standing fuel in it. I think you're right about the fuel issue.
I will see what I can do about getting log file tomorrow, didn't save it today. Had a brain fart earlier.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Does it by any chance die as soon as you release the key from the start position?

Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Shattered
Senior User
Yes. As soon as it fires, it dies immediately

Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shattered
Yes. As soon as it fires, it dies immediately
When you replaced the batteries, did you miss a connector?

Any pics yet?

Videos are uploaded and converted to Youtube on your Youtube account, made public, then you paste the link here. Not "simple" but lots of steps.

Pics...click the picture icon in the toolbar above your edit window and browse your device to pic the pics you want to upload. Click Insert button and they are in your post. Very simple

I'd like to see pics of the fuel system you are using, too, if you don't mind? I'm thinking hard about making a full regulated return- especially if this fuel pressure issue doesn't straighten up soon

Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Is the ICP going all the way to 2900 while cranking? If so, I suspect a high pressure oil problem...been there. Also IPR values are high for cranking, IIRC. You might want to test a HP oil rail while cranking. heck, you can take a plug off if you don't have a gauge and see if oil shoots out while cranking. If it just oozes out, there is one issue that needs resolving. Kinda messy, but it can tell you if you have a HP oil problem, which I kinda suspect. HPOPs very rarely go bad, but they do. I have had it happen to me on a low mileage, poorly maintained truck. WE'll get you figured out. Gotta start from the top with no start flow chart and go from there before you throw any more expensive parts at it.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Shattered
Senior User
[QUOTE=Shattered;17778355]KOEO
ICP 0
ICP volts .31
IPR duty cycle 14.84

While cranking engine
ICP 28-2900
ICP volts 3.8
IPR 55%

Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Shattered
Senior User
HPOP was new when I bought truck, and I've only put 42k on her in 7 years.
my HPOP gauge in truck jumps to 3k while cranking, it's just tapped into the top of the HPOP reservoir. probably not the best way to do it, but previous owner did it.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Shattered
Senior User
here we go a short video of my numbers while cranking her over.
from left to right, ICP, ICP volts, IPR duty cycle

Old 02-06-2018, 02:44 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Nice video! Very helpful to have the cranking in the back sync'd with the numbers.

RPMs (you should have this on your monitor screen) sounds plenty fast enough to start.

Injector pulse or fuel...

Can you monitor the FIPW and RPMs, too?

Have you done a buzz test since you changed the UVCH?

Also check with AE to see what it is reporting EOT. In the course of troubleshooting another vehicle, I came across a discussion about bad EOT sensor reading warm when the engine was not, which interfered with starting.

What if you floor it while cranking, does it start?

I'm not sure about how to test the IDM, but I really think it is fuel related

Any chaffing on your driver's side harness or near the 42 pin?

You cleared all the codes after installing UVCH, right? If not, clear them, then record while trying to start, then pull the codes again. Let's see what the current status is

Old 02-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Shattered
Senior User
here's another video of cranking, and with foot on the throttle, I know it's not good to crank on it this long.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Hmmm.....

See if any of this sounds familiar?

High ICP cranking PSI???? 2500-3800 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

It really sounds like fuel to me. Like the injectors are emptying and not getting enough fuel (similar to a clogged filter), but then the fuel seeps through after resting a few moments.

And that crazy high ICP? I don't know enough to make much of a comment about that except it is something I don't recall seeing much.

What brand IPR and ICP are you using?

Have you tried starting after plugging in the block heater for 2 hours or so?

What about your tuner? Can you remove it and we can work with stock?

The video is very helpful, BTW. Good job.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Shattered
Senior User
IPR and ICP are OEM.
yes tried block heater, still no start
I've put 2 new filters on truck when all this started, was first thing I did.
I could unplug tuner, kind of a pain but do-able
when key is first on and fuel pump is charging system I have 70 PSI, as soon as system is charged fuel pressure bleeds off fairly quick. and I don't hear pump comeback on to keep system at 70 psi. could I have a bad pump? my experience is a fuel pump either runs or it doesn't.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Deleted. nevermind.......... I see the fuel bowl delete in your signature now.

Quick Reply: No start, HOLY CODES BATMAN!!!!!!