6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sumos vs air bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 PM
1911fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sumos vs air bags

Im leaning towards sumos because i dont have the money for a full airbag kit with compressor and all. I pull a 5er witch is already a tiny bit nose high with the 2.5 inches of sag in the rear of the truck. I was really just looking for slightly less sag and a better ride with the trailer hooked up.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:41 AM
razehm
Senior User
I've wanted to try sumo springs for a while now.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Never had Sumos, never liked the idea. Kind of like having your axle sit on your bump stop. They cost as much as airbags - why not put in the airbags? While the full on board compressor kit is a modest convenience, it is completely unnecessary. I have full airbag suspension (no springs at all), have all the parts to install the compressor, height sensors, etc. and after a year have yet to get around to it. I check the pressure every month or so and sometimes add a little air.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:34 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the Firestone Ride Rites on my '99 crew cab. We tow a 38' travel trailer and carry a golf cart in the bed of the truck. It sits level and rides very good. But if not towing or carrying any weight the rear is stiff even with the bags down to 5lbs. If I had it to do over I would go to a spring shop and have custom springs with overloads made. And after checking, the custom made set of springs would've been the same price as airbags.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:58 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
The problem with springs - even rubber ones like the Sumos - is that they MUST deflect to carry load. No load you will ride high, big load and you will sag. That's the physics. You can try to do things with overloads contacting, or marginally progressive springs but the physics is still there, no way around it in this universe. Heavier spring = less sag and harsher ride. Softer spring = more sag and a softer ride.

Air bags do the same thing, BUT - you can change the pressure, which is just like removing spring leaves at will but a whole lot easier. In something like a truck which has a large variation in load, it make a big difference which is the reasons something like 80% of the heavy trucks ride on airbags, not springs.

In the OPs case, he could add airbags and keel them deflated when running empty, they will have no affect on ride if properly installed. Or soften the existing spring to improve the empty ride, then air up when the 5th is attached.

These trucks really should come with air suspension, or at least the option for it. RAM is the only company doing that, and only on their light duty pickups.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
These trucks really should come with air suspension, or at least the option for it. RAM is the only company doing that, and only on their light duty pickups.
Ram does offer air suspension on the 3500, possibly dually only. It uses a monoleaf to locate the axle and airbags to set ride height. I'm in agreement with you that I wish Ford will get with the times on this. We don't need air ride up front, coils are fine, but rear air ride would allow for self leveling and a much more pleasant ride empty. Hoping they come to thier senses by 2023 when I'll be looking. Was really hoping to see it roll out with the ground up 2017 redesign.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
The Ram 3500 has air bag helpers, pretty much like you can add yourself. They did soften the main spring as well. I wonder if that causes problems with axle wrap? Their lower spec trucks can be had with real air suspension.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
The Ram 3500 has air bag helpers, pretty much like you can add yourself. They did soften the main spring as well. I wonder if that causes problems with axle wrap? Their lower spec trucks can be had with real air suspension.
I was under the impression this was what was under the Ram 3500. Which is a full air ride.

Apparently, after a bit of digging, it's not what what actually got produced, which is actually an airbag helper as you said. Ram pulled the wool over everybody's eyes on that one. I like your suspension, but it's just not a mod you do on a 5 year old truck IMO. One of those things that if you'e gonna do it you do it when the truck is new like you did.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Yes, Ram announced a pretty good air ride system, then produced a very ordinary air bag helper system. What's shown in the picture might have been pretty decent, rolling lobe bag and a torque reacting link. But they didn't go ahead with it.

On a Ford 650 and up you can order air suspension.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM
cangim
Postmaster
There are mainly two options. Airlift or Firestone. Unless you build your own then there is many types of air bags and different options. I went with firestone kit. Currently working on assembly/install of my air system, have used on board air for many bicycle fixes while out camping with previous truck, so looking to mimic.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Three options actually, Hellwig makes a kit which uses the Continental bag. They all have minor plusses and minuses, the plus for the Hellwig is the bag is bigger and taller. Bigger means more carrying capacity or the same at lower pressure, taller means a softer spring rate at the same carrying capacity.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Do you know what diameter the continental bags are? I am guessing 8" by pictures... Either way, that is a good looking kit.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:56 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Yes they are about 8". I bought the kit, then returned it as it doesn't really work on a 2WD truck. A 4WD has a couple extra inches blocking over the springs, and gives you enough space to install them (many of the Firestone and Airlift kits have the same issue). It's a decent looking kit. The Conti bags are taller, and have more travel than the Firestone or Airlift. Those kits will limit your suspension travel to about 5".

The other thing I didn't like about the Hellwig is it mounts the airbags inboard of the springs. Several of the Firestone and Airlift do this too, but you can find ones that mount on top of the springs, if you have the room. The reason I don't like this is the closer the airbags are to the middle of the truck, the less roll resistance they provide when they carrying any load. Airbags mounted above the springs should improve roll resistance, as they are have a much more progressive rate than the spring.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:52 PM
1911fan
Senior User
Anyone using the airlift kit ive found good prices on thosez

Old 02-06-2018, 04:42 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
I have the Airlift ultimate bags and wirelessAir compressor kit. It all functions well. Personally, I feel the axle brackets are cheesy, and Firestone has much nicer brackets. I have all the Firestone part numbers for the lower axle brackets and may attempt to retrofit them with the airlift bags.

Quick Reply: Sumos vs air bags