Potential purchase: Is this too much rust on the frame? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Potential purchase: Is this too much rust on the frame?

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Potential purchase: Is this too much rust on the frame?

Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 AM
Ride-Fly
Freshman User
Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
It depends what he wants for the truck. Personally I would not pay over 10k for a gas truck with that many miles.. As for changing diff fluid. Do you realize how many trucks out there are on the ORIGINAL diff fluid at 300k+?
haha, I bet that is very common!

My dilemma is that I got a quote for repainting the truck and it was $1350. That plus the purchase price and logistics of retrieving the truck from Boise, ID to bringing it to PDX would put me close to $9k. The other factor is that I’ve found a diesel in PDX with 240k miles for $10k that I’m liking a little more. The paint, body, and interior is in very good shape. I’m hoping to test drive it this weekend.

It’s a no-brainer right? Get the diesel for $10k (can probably get it for $9) over the gasser for $9k, even with the mileage difference of 65k more on the diesel.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:39 AM
madpogue
Post Fiend
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
A diesel with 240,000 miles is "newer" than a gasser with 175,000. At least it has more miles _left_ on it.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:01 AM
lio45
Senior User
lio45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL! I haven't yet read the thread but I've got to say (and from what I could see, I'm not going to be the first one saying this.....)

By Midwestern/Northeast standards (where most Americans live), this truck is absolutely rust-free, no question!!!

Old 02-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post

haha, I bet that is very common!

My dilemma is that I got a quote for repainting the truck and it was $1350. That plus the purchase price and logistics of retrieving the truck from Boise, ID to bringing it to PDX would put me close to $9k. The other factor is that Iíve found a diesel in PDX with 240k miles for $10k that Iím liking a little more. The paint, body, and interior is in very good shape. Iím hoping to test drive it this weekend.

Itís a no-brainer right? Get the diesel for $10k (can probably get it for $9) over the gasser for $9k, even with the mileage difference of 65k more on the diesel.
PDX?

As for repainting a truck for $1350, RUN AWAY FAST. Materials will cost that alone.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM
bbf385
Elder User
bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.
PDX is Portland, Oregon. The airport specifically.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:33 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbf385 View Post
PDX is Portland, Oregon. The airport specifically.
Then why are you asking about rust? You live in practice a rust free state. I had my 86 shipped in from Oregon, original paint, original stickers on the frame

Old 02-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Ride-Fly
Freshman User
Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
PDX?

As for repainting a truck for $1350, RUN AWAY FAST. Materials will cost that alone.
Well, the quote was from Maaco. Theyíre one of the few places that still do whole car repaints. I called half a dozen paint shops and out of those shops, only one other did whole car repaints. I was inquiring about my 87 Vanagon and that shop wanted $10k! Maacoís quote for my Vanagon was $1300 because they currently have a half off special for their top level paint jobs. Still I donít know how they can make any money with those prices. I also donít expect the best, artisan quality paint jobs from those guys either.

Then why are you asking about rust? You live in practice a rust free state. I had my 86 shipped in from Oregon, original paint, original stickers on the frame
The truck I was inquiring about is in Boise, ID...also a rust-free state I know. But it did have some rust on the frame, which is something Iím not used to seeing here in OR and CA. Lucky to live here!!!