Potential purchase: Is this too much rust on the frame? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Potential purchase: Is this too much rust on the frame?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Junior User

95fiveoh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstang View Post
I wish that were the extent of the rust belt. Most if not all New England is in there, especially Vermont. Probably MN also included.

Like others have said, that frame is in awesome shape and the springs are completely normal for the TTB
Well the "rust belt" economic area doesn't include New England but yes, the area where vehicles rust includes significantly more including New England.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 PM
VT Chapter Ldr

wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95fiveoh View Post
Well the "rust belt" economic area doesn't include New England but yes, the area where vehicles rust includes significantly more including New England.
I'm not familiar with the "economic area". Can you explain that? Thank you
Old 02-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Quote:
I wish that were the extent of the rust belt. Most if not all New England is in there, especially Vermont. Probably MN also included.
Agreed

From PA to Maine and all the way across to Illinois is what the rust belt(also know as salt belt) is. Even states like Colorado are using Calcium now
Old 02-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Elder User

F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
By our standards here in the Deep South, that's a rusted heap (I have far less, if any rust on 35-50 year old vehicles). But reality is-- it's in great shape and a BUY.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 PM
VT Chapter Ldr

wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 1990 View Post
By our standards here in the Deep South, that's a rusted heap (I have far less, if any rust on 35-50 year old vehicles). But reality is-- it's in great shape and a BUY.
You can stop making us all jealous now .
Old 02-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Freshman User

Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
You can stop making us all jealous now .

Yeah I concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 1990 View Post
Im going shopping in Alabama!!😆
Old 02-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Postmaster

dixie460 has a very good reputation on FTE.dixie460 has a very good reputation on FTE.dixie460 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't see any rust. That's just the normal Ford frame patina coating.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Junior User

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the "economic area". Can you explain that? Thank you
They word "rust belt" comes from the notion of steel producing cities that have fallen into economic downturn. What happens to steel when it degrades? It "rusts". Those steel manufacturing based economies have degraded, or "rusted", thus "Rust Belt". It wasn't actually referring to the areas where vehicles rust.

From the dictionary-

Rust Belt-

parts of the northeastern and midwestern US that are characterized by declining industry, aging factories, and a falling population. Steel-producing cities in Pennsylvania and Ohio are at its center.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2018, 03:57 PM
VT Chapter Ldr

Even though that sounds like the meaning of the phrase, in this post, I think most would have a definition of states that use salt which resuts in vehicles turning into a pile of rust before their time. Vermont could fall into that definition. We had some small iron mills (long ago), our economy is crap, declining (ageing) population, and declining industry
Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Even though that sounds like the meaning of the phrase, in this post, I think most would have a definition of states that use salt which resuts in vehicles turning into a pile of rust before their time. Vermont could fall into that definition. We had some small iron mills (long ago), our economy is crap, declining (ageing) population, and declining industry
You can use it to mean whatever you want it to, but that is the origin of the term. As someone who lives in Pittsburgh which was internationally known at one time as the steel capital of the world (and we've still got the pollution to prove it) I can tell you for certain that is where "rust belt" came from and originally meant. My grandfather worked for J&L Steel for 40 years. Everyone here worked in or for a steel mill, it was all we did. And they are a thing of the past now, there's only a couple left. Anyways, a neat little history lesson for everyone.

​​​​
Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 PM
New User

Jdb93 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jdb93 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As others have said thats perfectly fine. This said if it bothers you you can always wires brush it and coat it with Por 15 or something of the like it will look great with the coating on it.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:53 AM
Freshman User

Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Ride-Fly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Update on this truck.

Well, I was about to make a trip out of town this weekend to check it out. I was also planning on asking the seller to do a pre-purchase inspection prior to my coming out, specifically looking for vacuum and compression tests, checking of differentials/fluids, trans/brakes/PS fluids, ball joints, u-joints, etc. But as I was looking over his maintenance records that he sent me (upon my request), I noticed the last service was done on July 2016. I confirmed with him that that was the last oil change. Also, in a previous maintenance record, the shop recommended differential fluids needed replacing, but the owner decided not to accomplish the service. Knowing now that the differentials and oil are way overdue, I’m pretty hesitant to continue pursuing this truck. My thinking is, “what else has been neglected?” Am I being overly cautious? FYI, I recently bought a 77 FJ40 on eBay and I had to dump almost $1700 into it for almost every fluid replacement and flushes, as well as replacing two engine seals and gaskets. I also had to have the carb worked on because it kept bogging down. This was a rig that was a frame off resto of the undercarriage and body only- no engine work but peripheral mechanicals (steering box, u joints, shocks) were replaced or rebuilt. Anyhow, I’m kind of put off by this truck. It’s got 174k miles for a gasser. I reckon the engine will have to be rebuilt sometime between 200 to 300k miles anyways so the low buy-in cost will come to bite me in th future.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Elder User

phoskins is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.phoskins is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95fiveoh View Post
The rust belt is primarily Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, and some of Kentucky, Wisconsin and Illinois. Rust is the norm here, and that truck would be considered practically spotless. Hell I must have chipped about 20 lbs of scale and rust off of my frame when I restored the truck last summer.

If it were my truck, I'd replace those leafs. Others may disagree, but those would bother me. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace.

​​​​​
​​​​​Missouri, Kansas, & Colorado have their fair share of rust problems, too! They treat the roads with a very corrosive salt/sand mix to melt snow and promote traction.
That frame looks great. I'd remove the surface rust and put a good coating of POR15 or something like that on it, at least.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Elder User

damarble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.damarble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Frame looks great. Leaves are normal. They do "frown" on F250s.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post
Update on this truck.

Well, I was about to make a trip out of town this weekend to check it out. I was also planning on asking the seller to do a pre-purchase inspection prior to my coming out, specifically looking for vacuum and compression tests, checking of differentials/fluids, trans/brakes/PS fluids, ball joints, u-joints, etc. But as I was looking over his maintenance records that he sent me (upon my request), I noticed the last service was done on July 2016. I confirmed with him that that was the last oil change. Also, in a previous maintenance record, the shop recommended differential fluids needed replacing, but the owner decided not to accomplish the service. Knowing now that the differentials and oil are way overdue, Im pretty hesitant to continue pursuing this truck. My thinking is, what else has been neglected? Am I being overly cautious? FYI, I recently bought a 77 FJ40 on eBay and I had to dump almost $1700 into it for almost every fluid replacement and flushes, as well as replacing two engine seals and gaskets. I also had to have the carb worked on because it kept bogging down. This was a rig that was a frame off resto of the undercarriage and body only- no engine work but peripheral mechanicals (steering box, u joints, shocks) were replaced or rebuilt. Anyhow, Im kind of put off by this truck. Its got 174k miles for a gasser. I reckon the engine will have to be rebuilt sometime between 200 to 300k miles anyways so the low buy-in cost will come to bite me in th future.

It depends what he wants for the truck. Personally I would not pay over 10k for a gas truck with that many miles.. As for changing diff fluid. Do you realize how many trucks out there are on the ORIGINAL diff fluid at 300k+?