Please Review Torque Pro Log Files: Injector Issues? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Please Review Torque Pro Log Files: Injector Issues?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Review Torque Pro Log Files: Injector Issues?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:00 AM
exbxtoy
Senior User
exbxtoy has a good reputation on FTE.exbxtoy has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Based on the data, I'd say the main thing to focus on is to select a different tune on the Hydra - there are a gajillion in the library. The base rules are:
  • Without serious physical modifications to the truck (beyond quickie mods), the optimal tow tune for heavy loads is about 40 HP - while keeping an eye on EGTs.
  • The stock injectors and stock tuning leave about 60-65 HP on the table to tap into with performance tuning. In translation, that means Ford didn't put an injector in there that's capable of 140 HP more than stock tuning - that's bad engineering. If you want to realistically boost performance (without expecting improvements in MPG), stick with the 60-65 HP tunes.
  • I know those 80, 100, and 140 HP tunes give the impression of way more power, but the proof is in the stopwatch - not your ***.
Good advice. I rescanned for codes and got a P1249. Iím wondering if my wastegate is sticking in causing some fuel mileage issues. I do have the red hose connected To the wastegate actuator.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by exbxtoy View Post
...I do have the red hose connected To the wastegate actuator.
Most of us remove the red line from the actuator and just plug the vacuum boot on a nearby CAC boot bolt. Watch for overboost code.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:12 AM
exbxtoy
Senior User
Update

I sent my injectors in to Fullforce diesel and have them flowed. The results are all flowed as expected for stock ADís except for 1. One of the injectors has a clogged nozzle, which they replaced for me. They said two of the holes were clogged in it, which would show were my symptoms of trailing black smoke and poor fuel mileage are coming from.

Ive already done the glow plugs and UVCH. Anything else I should have my mechanic do before we get the injectors back from Fullforce?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
Pressure test cooling system to check cups for leaks?

Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM
exbxtoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Pressure test cooling system to check cups for leaks?
This may be a stupid question, but can the system be pressure tested with the injectors removed?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
That's the only way I test the cups for leaks - injectors removed. I drain the coolant and pressurize the cooling system with air to no more than the rated pressure (about 14 PSI Max). I spray silicone lube in the open cups, and watch for bubbles.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:47 AM
exbxtoy
Senior User
Thanks. I read to torque the injectors to 120 ft pounds and than retourque after hot. Any further instructions?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:41 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Thanks. I read to torque the injectors to 120 ft pounds and than retourque after hot. Any further instructions?
IN-lbs. 120 in-lbs!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 PM
exbxtoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
IN-lbs. 120 in-lbs!
good catch!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
IN-lbs. 120 in-lbs!
good catch!
Yeah... that's not the kind of snappy performance we're looking for here.