Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My 78 F150 Custom 4x4 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just dropped my block off at Local Performance/Machine Shop. Plan is to check each cylinder to make sure there isn't any excessive wear (shouldn't be after a rebuild that was barely run, but I don't trust other peoples work...), Check the align bore of the crank, Vat the block to remove scale/rust etc... from the water passages, and the 3 small places at the bottom of Cylinders 1-3. Any minor rust not removed from cylinders after the Vat, then they'll all get a quick hone-job done. Once I start assembly and get my cam, I'll be taking them my duraspark distributor and cam specs, and will have it recurved to match the specs of my cam. Should have it back in a week or so. as they stay busy with work.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 75BigBlock
Take it easy. Concussions are no joke.
2X on this. Had too many family members have long-term side affects from not taking it easy for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:41 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
2X on this. Had too many family members have long-term side affects from not taking it easy for a couple of weeks.
i pretty much lounged around til Fri. By Thurs night i was feeling more normal, not feeling as if I was dazed & in a tunnel. Spent Sat hanging out with my sons & planning a chicken coop. By Sunday I was back in the shop working on my CJ7 while waiting on parts for the 78.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:42 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Well, touched base w/ the machine shop today to confirm what the plans were for the 460 block. So they'll be checking over it. hope to hear back status in a day or two. Comp Hi-Energy pushrods arrived yesterday, Cam Kit and Timing Set are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, Oil Pump will be here Thurs. still need to order gasket kit, waterpump, and electric choke kit for my Holley 750.
Once I get the block back, I'll start the assembly, hoping to use it as a teaching moment for my oldest son (almost 10yo), who wants to get into Mechanics as a trade when he's older.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
Did you drop the pistons off or tell the shop their part number?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:19 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by somethingclever
Did you drop the pistons off or tell the shop their part number?
No, because as of now they're not touching the bores, unless something is found wrong with them. Really just checking over whoever did the last rebuild (which appears to only have been ran for break-in) machine work.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:26 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
How do they know what the bores should be if they don't know anything about the pistons?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:41 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
How do they know what the bores should be if they don't know anything about the pistons?
They’re aware it’s .030 over with standard rebuilder pistons. If they need more info they’ll call and ask... the shop has been in business with a racing pedigree for the last 45 years, even working with manufacturers to improve designs. I’m quite confident if they need anything, they’ll ask

Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
They must be really good to know the bores are good for the pistons without having the pistons in hand or knowing the part number!

I hope it works out for you!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
They must be really good to know the bores are good for the pistons without having the pistons in hand or knowing the part number!

I hope it works out for you!
Lol don't be so negative dude. This build is awesome and I'm happy to see skyhawc is taking the initiative to do the rebuild on his own. I didn't do the same, but I wish I had the time/patience to do what he's doing.

Keep up the good work skyhawc - more pics whenever they're available?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Lol don't be so negative dude. This build is awesome and I'm happy to see skyhawc is taking the initiative to do the rebuild on his own. I didn't do the same, but I wish I had the time/patience to do what he's doing.

Keep up the good work skyhawc - more pics whenever they're available?
thanks for the props on the build. I’ve got a few ground up builds under my belt, including 1 frame-off on a 1995 Jeep Wrangler. I’ve grown to prefer vehicles now that I can drive as I repair them in phases.

as for negativity, it’s par for the course on any web forum... so i disregard it.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Negative?

Here I thought it might be helpful for you to follow up with the machine shop to ask them how they are confirming the bore is correct. It's in YOUR best interest (not mine) to make sure they are doing a good job.

Cast pistons?
skirt coating?
Hypereutectic?
Forged 2618?

They all may call for a different final bore and skirt to wall clearance as well as the OD itself.

How can they check the previous shop's work when the basis is not known?

LIke I said before....I hope it works out for you! (<-- not sure how that is negative)

Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
All I'm saying is he's got a mother already lol. Not trying to pick a fight. Just trying to point out the obvious - he's got er handled

I think we're all on his thread for the same reason - for sitting back and enjoying another dentside get back on the road.

In any case, keep up the good work Skyhawc. Any pics of your previous builds you can share?

Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
In any case, keep up the good work Skyhawc. Any pics of your previous builds you can share?
I’ve started & sold far more in various stages. Should be starting a frame-off next year on an Early Bronco for my buddy who I built the red Cherokee for... also have my hands in a number of other builds with a good friend.

1984 Jeep CJ7, Entire drivetrain rebuilt (minus bottom end of motor) Low mile, original paint/upholstery. Spring over Axle conversion, 2.5” stretched wheelbase at front axle, Full cross-over high steer utilizing original Jeep dana 30 axle. Custom fabricated front bumper (in progress)

1962 Galaxie, ground up rebuild, 4wheel dosc brakes, 3.50 limited slip, mild built C6 with TCI converter & valvebody, mild 390 with 428CJ sized valves, cast 406 shorty headers & more... Converted to XL package with buckets & console. In final assembly at this moment

My 56 Victoria awaiting paint & final assembly - ground up rebuild

1977 CJ7, Bought “built” already, had to do alot of rebuilding due to dangerous welds, inadequate materials... Sold to a friend & further helped him transform into this. Has 55” of articulation on leaf springs

1969 Fairlane, rebuilt entire drivetrain, however rusting from inside out & due to the 390 started to rip car apart

1993 Cherokee full drivetrain rebuild, including Ford 8.8 rear axle swap, more to come in future on this... won people’s best at a large annual show. with my 84 CJ7 beside it.

ZJ Grand Cherokee, I assisted in build setup for an Overland trip. Couple & their 4 dogs travelling from Roanoke VA to Alaska then to Argentina & everywhere in between.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
awesome work, seems that your into everything

Quick Reply: My 78 F150 Custom 4x4 SWB