Fleet Mechanic
Received 133 Likes on 54 Posts
You're more than welcome.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:42 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogtrapper
Thank you for your suggestion smle I appreciate it. Fortunately all the plugs and wires are good. When I connect the wires to the COP I can hear the plug click and lock into place and when I pull on it to check the connection it won't move unless I squeeze the release.

Today I took the truck for a nice little test drive, about 25 miles again. The truck ran great the entire drive. Had the scanner on while I drove it and according to the scanner there were no misfires at all.
Doesn't hurt to put the dielectric grease in the electrical connectors either. Keeps any moisture out and prevents corrosion from creating a poor connection over time.
I've been having problems with the furnaces on my motor home being kind of intermittent(especially in the wet weather). There's about a ton of those blade type crimp connectors in them. I took each one apart and tightened them up slightly and added dielectric grease. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
I know that can be frustrating dealing with those type of electrical problems Old Crow, I'm glad the dielectric grease worked for you.

So my truck has been running good all week with no misfires whatsoever......until today. We have not had a single drop of rain for about a week now but today #5 started misfiring AGAIN. I pulled the COP and the boot was dry as a bone and there was no moisture in the spark plug "hole" either. The dielectric grease was still basically in place. So now what? Is there a way/meter to test the amount of electricity going to the COP? I don't feel like there is any problem with the wiring because every time I install a new COP the truck runs fine again......for a little while then the misfire shows up again. It has been suggested that perhaps the problem is "deeper" in the computer, which sounds very possible to me. I am certain there is no way for me to check that so I would need to take the truck somewhere, the problem is there is no where around here to take it that I consider reputable. The Ford dealer will simply replace the COP, charge me an arm and a leg, and call it fixed, same thing I've been doing for the last few weeks.

At the moment I am considering just ordering a new computer for the truck, just replace the whole thing. I have visited a website where I can purchase a computer for the truck for AROUND $350.00 and it will include all the updates available for this truck/engine. So what do you gentlemen think? I would really appreciate your input and recommendations as I am about out of ideas at this point. Thank you gentlemen.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
You guys fall off the grid??? LOL

Here's the latest update on my truck. After I check the hole for moisture the last time I put the same COP back in and reconnected the battery, the truck ran fine with no misfires any where. Drove it a couple of days, no rain at all. Misfire shows up again on number 5. I had a brain storm LOL, very small storm indeed. I popped the hood and simply unhooked the battery, nothing else, just unhooked the negative side and let it set for about 20 minutes. Reconnected the battery and started the truck, this was yesterday. Between yesterday and today I have driven the truck about 50 miles with no misfires at all. While I was driving it I had the scanner on and it showed no misfires and there are no fault codes, truck ran great again.

I am thinking I will continue driving the truck to see it the misfire shows up again. If it does show up I will try the battery trick/fix again and see if that works again and fixes my misfire. IF this fixes the misfire again then I don't see how it can be anything but the computer, especially since I didn't do anything but disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you gentlemen I appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 PM
smle
Fleet Mechanic
No falling of the grid. Just dealing with stuff in general.
I've used that trick on the wife's Montero Sport. I'm told that doing that resets everything.
I've also been told that some shops have the equipment to diagnose problems down to a sensor or wire. I'd definitely take that with a grain of salt. It would also probably be very expensive. Please keep us posted. I know I haven't been much help, just encouragement.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
LOL I definitely understand dealing with stuff in general smle, life can certainly keep a person busy. You and Old Crow have certainly been a help, SamIam has been helpful also but I haven't heard from him in a while. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read this tread and make a post of any kind, I have learned something from all of them. Encouragement is always appreciated especially on something this discouraging. I wish there was some place around here where I could take my truck and have them dig deep and thoroughly scan the computer so I would know what the problem is exactly.

We have the Ford dealership but they are not going to take the time to "dig in" especially on a 18 year old truck they didn't sell. Their style is to get it running and move on to the next one. We also have 2 pretty good independent shops but they don't have the equipment to dig deeper with. They can scan the computer like I can and get the results I can get but they don't have the equipment to actually look around in the computer and see what might be wrong. Thanks again for your input, it is definitely encouraging.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 PM
smle
Fleet Mechanic
Maybe try calling the district or regional office. They might be able to tell you which dealership might have one.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 AM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Thanks smle that's a good idea, hadn't thought of that one. Maybe they can tell if a dealer in a town near here has the equipment to do what I need done. I'll have to see what I can find out in the next couple of days.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:03 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Yeah, talk about life getting in the way. We were supposed to leave for Pensacola yesterday. From there it'll be out to SoCal for our summer job.
Then, out of the blue our renter calls and tells us she's moving out because she needs to be closer to work.
So we packed and moved the motor home yesterday...back north to Devil's Fork on Greeers Ferry Lake. We're giving up. Just going to clean up the house and put it on the market.
Tired of dealing with renters who get in over their heads. Don't want to leave an empty house for a year. Did that the first year out and had to deal with rodent damage and stuff like that.
Good thing we were planning on taking our time getting to Florida. We might still make it on time.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:34 PM
smle
Fleet Mechanic
Rental property and renters can be a royal PITA. At least the weather seems to be warming up.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM
smle
Fleet Mechanic
Hogtrapper, did you ever get that miss figured out?