Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Where to find one or 460 search

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry, that is on "test results" not TorqueScan.
Open test results then drive the vehicle and don't use the phone for anything else while it is running or it will interrupt the data stream.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thank you sir, I believe even an old man like me can do that LOL. That will my first project in the morning.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Latest update gentlemen, I drove the truck today using the app setting you recommended Sam. The results I got was a misfire on number 5 cylinder. I am not sure if this will work but I am going to try to post the information from my android phone.

Unit and scaling information are not supplied with the data from the ECU for this type of vehicle. Consulting the manufacturers service book for this information is recommended.

Test report:
------------------
TID:$01 CID:$11
- Rich to Lean sensor threshold voltage(constant)
Min: 0
Test result value: 1,024
PASS
----
TID:$01 CID:$21
PASS
----
TID:$03 CID:$01
- Low sensor Voltage for switch time calculation
Test result value: 461
PASS
----
TID:$03 CID:$02
Test result value: 512
PASS
----
TID:$53 CID:$05
-
Max: 2,621
Test result value: 4,096
FAIL
----

End of report.

Unit and scaling information are not supplied with the data from the ECU for this type of vehicle. Consulting the manufacturers service book for this information is recommended.

Test report:
------------------
TID:$01 CID:$11
PASS
----
TID:$01 CID:$21
PASS
----
TID:$03 CID:$01
Test result value: 461
PASS
----
TID:$03 CID:$02
Test result value: 512
PASS
----
TID:$53 CID:$05
-
Max: 2,621
Test result value: 4,096
FAIL
----

End of report.

This information may not be in the correct order but this is the information I screenshot to my e-mail hoping to post it on here. I am also going to try to post the screenshot "pictures" also.

Well I can't seem to post the actual pictures right now so I'm going to try something different, I'll be back in a few minutes to hopefully post the pictures.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned

I sure hope this works right so you gentlemen can see the actual picture of the screen I was looking at today.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned

Ok gentlemen it looks like it worked so I would greatly appreciate your input and help. Thank you again.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Any ideas/input on the misfire gentlemen? Could this be caused my a fuel problem or is this reading strictly an electrical problem? Any suggestions on where I should start trying to fix this misfire? I know it could be the COP or the spark plug, could it be the injector? Is there a way to test to see if the COP is getting a "signal" telling it to fire? I'm not really sure which way to go from here. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Well gentlemen I took a shot in the dark on number 5 and decided to replace the COP and the spark plug. I unhooked the negative side of the battery and went to work on it. After I installed the COP and plug I took the truck for a short test drive with the scanner on and everything seemed to work good. I also checked for any faults and none showed up. The truck ran pretty good but I'm not going to say it's fixed till I pull a couple of loads with it and run it for about 4 to 6 weeks. Again I want to thank you, especially Sam, for all your help and input.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogtrapper
Well gentlemen I took a shot in the dark on number 5 and decided to replace the COP and the spark plug. I unhooked the negative side of the battery and went to work on it. After I installed the COP and plug I took the truck for a short test drive with the scanner on and everything seemed to work good. I also checked for any faults and none showed up. The truck ran pretty good but I'm not going to say it's fixed till I pull a couple of loads with it and run it for about 4 to 6 weeks. Again I want to thank you, especially Sam, for all your help and input.
Cool! Glad it's moving in the right direction.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Hello gentlemen I hope you are managing to stay dry lately. Well I'm glad I didn't declare my V10 fixed cause I am back to square one again. Since I purchase the adapter and down loaded the Torque app to my phone every time I drive it I am scanning it. Well today the truck wasn't running right so I checked the scan and once again number 5 is misfiring. If I remember right this is the second COP and plug I have installed in about the last year. The COPs I have purchase have been, I think, pretty good ones, they have all been motorcraft brand.

So gentlemen I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/input you have to offer concerning this repeated problem. Thank you

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Still have the misfire on number 5 again but I still don't know why the truck keeps ruining number 5 COP. Where did SamIam go? I really need some advice if I am going to really figure out what's causing my misfire.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:17 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
What happens when you change the boot and coil to a different plug? Does it continue to miss on the new cylinder, or does it come magically back to life? Oh, you are changing the boots at the same time as the coils, right?

Old 02-25-2018, 02:19 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Yes sir I am installing a new boot, new coil, and a new plug when I change them. The only thing that comes to my mind is for some reason anytime it rains that coil is getting wet. The way ford designed these things, down in a hole, maybe when it rains somehow rain water is getting to the coil and down in the hole and perhaps knocking out the coil, heck I don't know. IF this is the case I need to figure out a way to stop the rain from getting to the coil and hole....IF this is the case. One thing that puzzles me is IF that is happening to number 5 why not number 10 also? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

I realize it would be a HUGE difficult undertaking that I really don't want to do but this is the reason I was considering swapping the V10 for a 460. But since you have told me about the RV salvage yard in Missouri I am seriously going to contact them about a good salvage V10 even if I have to drive up there to pick it up. If the engine condition is good and the price is right I'm heading north LOL.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
The post I found did mention failure due to moisture, and from what I read, you're just lucky it isn't both #5 and #10. Maybe some sort of drip shield to direct the water off to the side?
How about dielectric grease? Putting grease in the boot might keep the moisture out.

At least my V10 has a whole house built on top of it. Not sure it'd get wet even driving in the rain.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:38 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Well I got a rainless day and pulled the number 5 COP to have a look at it. It was dry as a bone so I ran a paper towel down in the hole and when I pulled it out it was dry as a bone also. Then I unhooked the battery for about 15 minutes. I reconnected the battery and started the truck, let it idle for about 4 or 5 minutes. I went for about a 10 mile test drive with the scanner on and the truck ran just fine with no miss at all. I have no idea what's happening with this engine. Any ideas.....any one?????????

Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 AM
smle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 133 Likes on 54 Posts
Perhaps it was a code that didn't erase until you disconnected the battery.

Quick Reply: Where to find one or 460 search