6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2017 6.2 random long crank when starting

Old 01-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Krabill
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2017 6.2 random long crank when starting

2017 with 26k miles on the truck, I have noticed sometimes in the morning and at lunch it takes an extra second or two to crank before the truck starts. Last week I go to start it after it sat all day and it cranked for a few seconds, fired up and shut right off and put up a check engine light. I turned the key off and tried it again and it fired right up. Check engine light went off the next morning. I took it to the dealer this morning and they can see where it threw a code for not starting but that is all they can see and it starts fine for them all day.

What if anything should I do about this? I have 10k left under full warranty and dealer says just see if its gets worse. Its not a huge deal and may only have a extra second cranking twice a week or so but I just don't like hearing it crank so long (some guys have mentioned "whats up with that on a new truck" etc...)

Anyone else have a similar problem?

The following 3 users liked this post by Krabill:
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
try going to a different gas station...

water or to much benzene in the gas.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Krabill
Junior User
Interesting, I use two different stations but only run 87 octane. Could an additive help in this case?

Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Krabill
Interesting, I use two different stations but only run 87 octane. Could an additive help in this case?
I would try "Dry Gas" or similar... additive... not to add octane..

Old 02-03-2018, 05:07 AM
S cobb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krabill
2017 with 26k miles on the truck, I have noticed sometimes in the morning and at lunch it takes an extra second or two to crank before the truck starts. Last week I go to start it after it sat all day and it cranked for a few seconds, fired up and shut right off and put up a check engine light. I turned the key off and tried it again and it fired right up. Check engine light went off the next morning. I took it to the dealer this morning and they can see where it threw a code for not starting but that is all they can see and it starts fine for them all day.

What if anything should I do about this? I have 10k left under full warranty and dealer says just see if its gets worse. Its not a huge deal and may only have a extra second cranking twice a week or so but I just don't like hearing it crank so long (some guys have mentioned "whats up with that on a new truck" etc...)

Anyone else have a similar problem?
I have a 17 that does it. Very frustrating and embarrassing!! Ask the dealer one day while there for a key. They said first they’ve heard of it. Wife has been turning key on for 3 seconds before starting. Seems to help. It only does it right after someone says you didn’t get the diesel. Lol

Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 AM
Krabill
Junior User
I will try that 3 second thing. The other thing I have been doing since is just tapping the key over to start it, not holding it over like an older model car. Does that help, maybe?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
You don't need to hold the key in the start position to start. Just turn (or bump) to start and let go, it will start itself. I'm usually pulling the seat belt across myself by the time it's running.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Yourdma
New User
My truck does the same thing but only when mildly warm never cold. it will turn over for 4-5 seconds then almost stall I have tried different gas stations and even running higher octane fuel.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM
S cobb
Junior User
Originally Posted by Yourdma
My truck does the same thing but only when mildly warm never cold. it will turn over for 4-5 seconds then almost stall I have tried different gas stations and even running higher octane fuel.
ok my tundra started doing the same even worse. It would turn over for 8 seconds then just stop when cold. Then start right up all day. So I took it to a friends shop. They did some test and figured out my fuel had to much alcohol in it. Or something like that. He reflashed my computer and I switched gas stations been perfect ever sense. So the F250’s going in this week. It starts right up 90% of the time but barely starts sometimes. Hot or cold

Old 05-25-2018, 08:55 PM
NodnarbDFD
New User
Same problem 65k on 2017 f350 6.2. I've had it stumble start many times. Doesnt do it for the dealer, of course. They threw a PVC valve at it, no dice. No check engine light.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Yourdma
New User
Brought truck to dealer they said it was throwing one code. So they changed the purge valve on the evap tank because was sticking intermittently, it made no difference at all still cranks about 10 times then fumbles around at 400 rpm before going to high idle but runs fine afterward

Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 AM
F250-MAC
New User
My 17 F250 also does this. Currently 42K miles. Never on a cold start.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM
giant futon
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fellas, when we’re your trucks built? Mine is a job #2 and does this. I wonder if there was a bad run of a particular part.

GF

Old 05-27-2018, 11:07 AM
NAZSD
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m not sure how to determine the Job number? My build date is 10/16 (F250 6.2 FX4).

Im experiencing the long start after short mid day drives. Started happening around 16,000mi and I’m at 20,000mi now.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Krabill
Junior User
Cross post in the main forum. Mine is still doing it, it is worse at lunchtime when the truck is sitting in the heat. Two rough starts in a row this weekend for me (1 hour apart)

Never really seems to do it in the morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 6.2 random long crank when starting